Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #31801
einnar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Tore down the engine yesterday on my R after it failed a compression test. Showed about 30psi on the guage.
This last summer my bike died on the highway suddenly. No power, and a puff of smoke suddenly came out the back end. Come to find out, the oil had suddenly disappeared. (I checked it less than 10 miles before it died.) I bought the bike used, and managed to put only 2 tanks of gas in it before this happened.

Months later, I finally have time, and a buddy available to help who has all the tools.. (Amazing how hard it is to get together when he travels for work, and I have a newborn in the house. )We tore it down, and found out the compression ring is broken. Fortunately, all the parts stayed in the groove until we coaxed the piston out of the cylinder (packing the bottom end before we did this.) All bits recovered!

While I had it apart, I tested the valves, and found that 3 of the 4 are definitely leaking... the 4th looked moist, so it probably is too.
Now to find a machine shop.. Kinda sad for a bike with about 8k on it.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #31802
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by einnar View Post

I bought the bike used, and managed to put only 2 tanks of gas in it before this happened.

We tore it down, and found out the compression ring is broken.

While I had it apart, I tested the valves, and found that 3 of the 4 are definitely leaking

Kinda sad for a bike with about 8k on it.
I sounds like it may have had a pretty severe over heating event while in the hands of the PO.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #31803
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Anal fact for the day:

A DAMPER damps excessive movement, such as handlebar jerk or a bump.

A DAMPENER makes things more damp or wet.

So a steering damper will help you keep your front wheel in your intended direction.

A steering dampener will keep your steering assembly damp and wet.

isaac004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #31804
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by einnar View Post
Tore down the engine yesterday on my R after it failed a compression test. Showed about 30psi on the guage.
This last summer my bike died on the highway suddenly. No power, and a puff of smoke suddenly came out the back end. Come to find out, the oil had suddenly disappeared. (I checked it less than 10 miles before it died.) I bought the bike used, and managed to put only 2 tanks of gas in it before this happened.

Months later, I finally have time, and a buddy available to help who has all the tools.. (Amazing how hard it is to get together when he travels for work, and I have a newborn in the house. )We tore it down, and found out the compression ring is broken. Fortunately, all the parts stayed in the groove until we coaxed the piston out of the cylinder (packing the bottom end before we did this.) All bits recovered!

While I had it apart, I tested the valves, and found that 3 of the 4 are definitely leaking... the 4th looked moist, so it probably is too.
Now to find a machine shop.. Kinda sad for a bike with about 8k on it.
Excessive heat, the enemy of all things mechcanical. Good luck on the rebuild
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #31805
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
Anal fact for the day:

So a steering damper will help you keep your front wheel in your intended direction.

I prefer the term `stabilitator`myself.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #31806
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,042
I usually take my dampener off this time of year. Why wear the thing out when everything is damp already?
Usually have to let stuff dry off a little before it can be properly damp anyway.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #31807
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942
Well actually, Webster's thinks otherwise:

damp·en verb \ˈdam-pən\
damp·ened damp·en·ing

Definition of DAMPEN

transitive verb
1: to check or diminish the activity or vigor of : deaden
2: to make damp
3: damp 1c

intransitive verb
1: to become damp
2: to become deadened or depressed
— damp·en·er noun

Examples of DAMPEN

Dampen the spot with a wet cloth.
The shower barely dampened the ground.
We wouldn't let the bad weather dampen our excitement.

damp·er noun \ˈdam-pər\

Definition of DAMPER

1: a dulling or deadening influence

2: a device that damps: as
a : a valve or plate (as in the flue of a furnace) for regulating the draft
b : a small felted block to stop the vibration of a piano string
c chiefly British : shock absorber

3 Australian : a simple usually unleavened bread of a kind made originally in the Australian bush

Examples of DAMPER

the pianist used the damper pedal on the piano for the quiet passages

ramz screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 11:29 AM
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #31808
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
I usually take my dampener off this time of year. Why wear the thing out when everything is damp already?
Usually have to let stuff dry off a little before it can be properly damp anyway.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #31809
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
Anal fact for the day:

So, if your DAMPER fails you, and leads you to wash out the front end and crash, in say a large puddle, it would in fact be a DAMPENER, now wouldn't it.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #31810
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Need a little help

I know I saw info about this in the thread somewhere but now I can't find it. Anyway, I recently discovered my battery completely dead, and now that I have it charged, my speedometer is reading a little bit high: I can easily break 200mph and cruise with traffic at 180 mph with ease now. I did confirm it's not set to kilometers.
Does anybody know if there's a cure for this?
SuperD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #31811
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by blz-bob View Post
my speedometer is reading a little bit high: I can easily break 200mph and cruise with traffic at 180 mph with ease now. I did confirm it's not set to kilometers.
That is far from matching even with km. :)

Concerning your problem: http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5...-batter-change
Good luck!

flatboarder screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 04:51 AM Reason: supply thread with similar problem
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #31812
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by blz-bob View Post
I know I saw info about this in the thread somewhere but now I can't find it. Anyway, I recently discovered my battery completely dead, and now that I have it charged, my speedometer is reading a little bit high: I can easily break 200mph and cruise with traffic at 180 mph with ease now. I did confirm it's not set to kilometers.
Does anybody know if there's a cure for this?
Hey! I can't get above 189, even with my speedo broken this way. You must have the superbike version.

If anyone finds a fix other than 'replace the head unit' I'd love to know. That's the only one I've seen. Luckily, it's not /hideously/ expensive, but it does seem a pretty broad problem.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #31813
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 421
Trip Info

Not to change the subject BUT, I am planning on a return to Dawson, Yt. Canada for the 2013 Dust 2 Dawson, and I am seeking any long distance RR's done on the WRR. I've read Big Dog's and 10cup's RR's briefly, and was wondering if anyone could share a link to other LONG distance(over 5000miles) RReports done on the WRR. Also seeking favorable tire stores locations in Prince George,BC, Dawson and Whitehorse, YT from our Canadien brothers/sisters . Base route will be north from Tenn. to Calgary, AB to Jasper,Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Dawson,YT this part will be all Highway. So I am starting out with some type of Dual sport road-biased DOT tire; possibly pirelli MT 90 scorpions like I used on my 2010 MC trip on my KTM. I would like to do this on a smaller lighter bike; if I can work out the uncomfortable seat problem(currently trying out a Sargent seat); so I can enjoy some off road sections when I get to Alaska(Lord willing), up to Deadhorse , back down to Homer and over to Haines to get the ferry south to Prince Rupert. When I return to states I would like to pick up CDT down to Colorado and some out west trails before heading back East to Tennessee. Any kit,tires, favorite locals,insights would be appreciated.
TNX Paul
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #31814
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
...I am planning on a return to Dawson, Yt. Canada for the 2013 Dust 2 Dawson, and I am seeking any long distance RR's done on the WRR. I've read Big Dog's and 10cup's RR's briefly,...
Skierd is the one to talk to. He rode his WRR/X from Baltimore to Alaska, taking a southern route. Don't know if he quite made 5000 miles, cuz He did well over 5000 miles and he's still in Alaska

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 11:38 AM Reason: show off strike thru text
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #31815
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942
skierd rode his WRX across the USA to CA, up the west coast to WA, and then took the ferry to Alaska.

ramz screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 08:55 AM
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote