ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #32011
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 4,075
Chris this is not good XMAS eve news. Makes me a bit uneasy when I get on mine
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #32012
Attico
Wrong way 'round
 
Attico's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Aylmer, Quebec
Oddometer: 1,957
There is something to be said about leaving the bike stock, engine wise anyway, and keeping it well serviced. The WRR is what it is.....a fun low-power bike.

Some of us will benefit from your unfortunate luck. Really sorry to hear about these issues though.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
No offense taken......asking myself the same question......I "cheaped out" up front and it's biting me in the ass now.....penny wise pound foolish (stupid)......

That said, I don't yet have confirmation as to what's causing the lack of compression/~88% blowby on leakdown......maybe I'll get lucky and it's just a bent/stuck valve.....doubtful.....
__________________
“If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal.” (Coelho)
Attico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #32013
mpatch
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: N Colorado
Oddometer: 1,040
all studded up thanks to another inmate



mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #32014
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrou111 View Post
Well I won't be riding my WR250X for a while...

I changed the oil and filter. I didn't find any shavings or metal in the filter or on the bolt. With fresh oil in, I went for a ride to the gas station. The noise was still there while riding, and then it got louder and went *clunk* and then went away. I just figured it was a rock rattling around, so I was like "woohoo, the noise is gone!"

So as I am heading home (1.6 mile round trip) I notice that it is very difficult to shift gears. I pull into the driveway and notice that the gear shifter has slack both on the splines and the whole rod moves in and out. Not good.

Then I notice oil dripping down slowly. I look on the other side of the motor and see this...



So, what all is it going to take to replace the side cover?
Are you sure you didn't drop a screw in with the oil or something? It would seem very suspicious that this happens right after changing the oil. Also the X has no guards for the sidecase, a bit annoying but it may have been a rock or something...
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #32015
pfy50
Professional nOOb
 
pfy50's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Oneida, Tenn.
Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Are you sure you didn't drop a screw in with the oil or something? It would seem very suspicious that this happens right after changing the oil. Also the X has no guards for the sidecase, a bit annoying but it may have been a rock or something...
Llamaha, I believe Jrou111's problem is some kind of stress fracture. I'm not seeing any type of point of impact; unless it is out of the photo. It would be hard for a big enough rock to hit at that location without leaving some impact point and not hitting the frame also. IMHO
__________________
My Odyssey: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566875
2013 TEX XC,2011 WR250R,2004 KAWA Concours,1994 BMW K1100RS
May the Lord bless you and keep you in all the Dark places you must travel

pfy50 screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 05:58 AM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #32016
pfy50
Professional nOOb
 
pfy50's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Oneida, Tenn.
Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
all studded up thanks to another inmate


Hello mpatch, are you going 'Winter Wonderlanding' that looks like a couple hundred $s worth of studs (unless they are reused); I've been looking at doing the same thing so I can go ride the local ATV trails since most of them leave for winter time.
__________________
My Odyssey: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566875
2013 TEX XC,2011 WR250R,2004 KAWA Concours,1994 BMW K1100RS
May the Lord bless you and keep you in all the Dark places you must travel
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #32017
einnar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
einnar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE Michigan
Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Not to be a dick but if youre gonna spend the $$ on a big bore kit why not spend an extra couple hundred and get it properly dyno tuned and not have to worry about it?
Mine was properly dyno tuned. (Professionally.) Worked great when it did. Now it's being rebuilt.
__________________
An amateur practices until they get it right. A professional practices until they can't get it wrong.
Det finns inget dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder
einnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #32018
mpatch
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: N Colorado
Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Hello mpatch, are you going 'Winter Wonderlanding' that looks like a couple hundred $s worth of studs (unless they are reused); I've been looking at doing the same thing so I can go ride the local ATV trails since most of them leave for winter time.
If you have access to a stud gun you can use car tire studs which are pretty cheap, anywhere between .10-.25 a piece.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #32019
pfy50
Professional nOOb
 
pfy50's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Oneida, Tenn.
Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
If you have access to a stud gun you can use car tire studs which are pretty cheap, anywhere between .10-.25 a piece.
Naw, not unless someone around here has one it won't be cost effective. So if I can't find one(stud gun) locally then I might try the 'Grip-Studs' using a regular drill.
TNX
__________________
My Odyssey: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566875
2013 TEX XC,2011 WR250R,2004 KAWA Concours,1994 BMW K1100RS
May the Lord bless you and keep you in all the Dark places you must travel
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #32020
mpatch
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: N Colorado
Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Naw, not unless someone around here has one it won't be cost effective. So if I can't find one(stud gun) locally then I might try the 'Grip-Studs' using a regular drill.
TNX
Depends on where you live I guess. Around here studs are very common on cars if I were to call around I probably could find a tire shop that would do it for me. There are a few inmates locally that have the guns and studs. Keep an eye on ebay
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #32021
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer
 
shep546's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
Oddometer: 215
Hey guys,

First post here I'm going to do a bit of a introduction.

I'm 23, and last spring I decided I wanted to buy a motorcycle, took my course and went out and bought a brand new (possibly bad idea) 2012 wr250r. I started off putting around town and got used to the bike. Eventually I put a post up on a local dual sport forum saying I wanted to try some off roading. I ended up hitting up a trail with a very experienced rider and suffice to say it was a very bad experience for me. Firstly he had a KTM 300 2T totally done up. I was on my little 250r and oblivious to anything about off roading, had no idea how bad the stock tires were and I had a pretty bad time, dropped it so many times and was beating myself and my bike up and I left with a very sour taste in my mouth.

After that I didn't feel like touching the dirt again for a while. After I only had the bike for a few months I was riding on a road that was part pavement covered in a ton of gravel, I went around a 90 degree turn way too fast trying to slide my rear end out thinking I was tough shit. Halfway through the slide I realized I was going to fly into the ditch and I panicked and grabbed the front brake HARD. This threw me down on one side really bad and me and the bike slid a few feet on the gravel.

I got up, picked up the bike and initially I thought I made it out pretty clean, after a quick inspection I was gonna hop back on the bike and ride home (only about 5 mins away). I didn't realize at the time but I was pretty banged up and probably in shock, luckily for me I couldn't ride it off as my clutch level wouldn't come all the way in. I didn't realize at the time but my bars were badly bent and my lever was just bottoming out on the bar.

So I got a buddy to pick me up and left my bike on the side on the road... when I got home I went to take my glove off and noticed my glove was full of blood, my left thumb was swollen up about 2x its regular size (but I went down on my right side?). I fought off going to the hospital as long as I could but eventually went in and it turned out my thumb was broken pretty badly. Had to be casted for a month and it took many months before I could even use that thumb at all (not good considering I'm an aircraft mechanic)

So now my thumb is all healed up, my bike is fixed and sadly I have her put away for a long Canadian winters nap. After doing a lot of reading while I wasn't able to ride I have learned a few things. Namely the stock tires suck, and my bike was never properly adjusted for sag and rebound. So far I have ordered some new safety gear (mx boots, elbow pads, knee pads) and I plan on getting nobby tires as I want to give this off roading stuff another chance.

I'm being told that mt21 front and dunlop 606 rear is the ideal way to go?

I've also been looking around for an exhaust upgrade and was wondering if anybody knows how the two brother's exhausts are?

Are there any mods I need to do to my bike?

Here's a pic of my bike in her current state with the few upgrades I've put on her. I also have enduro engineering handguards/debris deflectors but haven't gotten around to installing them since the crash, still gotta cut the ends off my new bars I had to buy.

shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #32022
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
Hey guys,

First post here I'm going to do a bit of a introduction.

I'm 23, and last spring I decided I wanted to buy a motorcycle, took my course and went out and bought a brand new (possibly bad idea) 2012 wr250r. I started off putting around town and got used to the bike. Eventually I put a post up on a local dual sport forum saying I wanted to try some off roading. I ended up hitting up a trail with a very experienced rider and suffice to say it was a very bad experience for me. Firstly he had a KTM 300 2T totally done up. I was on my little 250r and oblivious to anything about off roading, had no idea how bad the stock tires were and I had a pretty bad time, dropped it so many times and was beating myself and my bike up and I left with a very sour taste in my mouth.

After that I didn't feel like touching the dirt again for a while. After I only had the bike for a few months I was riding on a road that was part pavement covered in a ton of gravel, I went around a 90 degree turn way too fast trying to slide my rear end out thinking I was tough shit. Halfway through the slide I realized I was going to fly into the ditch and I panicked and grabbed the front brake HARD. This threw me down on one side really bad and me and the bike slid a few feet on the gravel.

I got up, picked up the bike and initially I thought I made it out pretty clean, after a quick inspection I was gonna hop back on the bike and ride home (only about 5 mins away). I didn't realize at the time but I was pretty banged up and probably in shock, luckily for me I couldn't ride it off as my clutch level wouldn't come all the way in. I didn't realize at the time but my bars were badly bent and my lever was just bottoming out on the bar.

So I got a buddy to pick me up and left my bike on the side on the road... when I got home I went to take my glove off and noticed my glove was full of blood, my left thumb was swollen up about 2x its regular size (but I went down on my right side?). I fought off going to the hospital as long as I could but eventually went in and it turned out my thumb was broken pretty badly. Had to be casted for a month and it took many months before I could even use that thumb at all (not good considering I'm an aircraft mechanic)

So now my thumb is all healed up, my bike is fixed and sadly I have her put away for a long Canadian winters nap. After doing a lot of reading while I wasn't able to ride I have learned a few things. Namely the stock tires suck, and my bike was never properly adjusted for sag and rebound. So far I have ordered some new safety gear (mx boots, elbow pads, knee pads) and I plan on getting nobby tires as I want to give this off roading stuff another chance.

I'm being told that mt21 front and dunlop 606 rear is the ideal way to go?

I've also been looking around for an exhaust upgrade and was wondering if anybody knows how the two brother's exhausts are?

Are there any mods I need to do to my bike?

Here's a pic of my bike in her current state with the few upgrades I've put on her. I also have enduro engineering handguards/debris deflectors but haven't gotten around to installing them since the crash, still gotta cut the ends off my new bars I had to buy.

You made a great choice in the WRR. Hang in there & don't go out riding with any more sadistic SOB's. Some guys love to watch others suffer. You will find other riders with your same skill level & will improve the more you ride Rome was not built in a day
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #32023
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer
 
grubbie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: NE Wyoming
Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
Sorry about your luck.

Thank you though for re affirming that's its best to keep mine stock!
Yeah I have always had the mindset that if I need more power, I'll buy a bike with more power. But, I also understand that "tinkering" is half the fun for some people, so,......good on 'em. I have made some mods, but my engine is stock. The thing is just so trouble free and dependable I don't want to jinx it. It has plenty of power for what I do, though I wouldnt mind having more at times just for fun. WR450F maybe, set up for street legal would be nice. But I dont see me ever getting rid of the R2, I'll ride it till its dead. It is by far the most enjoyable bike I have ever owned.
__________________
2008 CRF230L, 2010 WR250R, 2011 HD Streetglide, 2015 Suzuki DR650
grubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #32024
Bgunn
Mucha distancia
 
Bgunn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Rockford Wa
Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post

I'm thinking it may be time to leave this WR250R experiment behind and return to my Orange roots with a fuel injected 350 EXC....I've really enjoyed the WR, but blowing up two engines has soured my taste buds..l

You lose that lovin feeling after two major mechanicals....Would welcome a 350 EXC into my inventory.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #32025
leftystrat62
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
AZTOM-check out BigDogs web site-he's ridden his every where and it's pretty much all stock. I give you credit for not throwing in the towel,it will be a whole other world your first time you ride with those knobbies. You'll be laughing in your helmet saying man this is fun!
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015