Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #32011
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Not to be a dick but if youre gonna spend the $$ on a big bore kit why not spend an extra couple hundred and get it properly dyno tuned and not have to worry about it?
No offense taken......asking myself the same question......I "cheaped out" up front and it's biting me in the ass now.....penny wise pound foolish (stupid)......

That said, I don't yet have confirmation as to what's causing the lack of compression/~88% blowby on leakdown......maybe I'll get lucky and it's just a bent/stuck valve.....doubtful.....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #32012
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
WR is toast AGAIN ~1500 miles after 290 kit install .......so much for the new firmware from FMF bringing their programmer up to par for the 290 kit?? ......MtnTrails warned me to go with the PCIII but FMF assured me that their new firmware could service the 290 jug/piston......the shop is tearing it down now.......we'll see what they find......

I'm thinking it may be time to leave this WR250R experiment behind and return to my Orange roots with a fuel injected 350 EXC....I've really enjoyed the WR, but blowing up two engines has soured my taste buds.....

Looks like I'll be on The Smoker (300 XCW) the next couple of months.....which isn't so bad
Sorry about your luck.

Thank you though for re affirming that's its best to keep mine stock!
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #32013
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Sorry to hear your troubles. What was your verdict on the 290 prior to kaboom? Worth the money or would only do it again because you had to?
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #32014
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
Chris this is not good XMAS eve news. Makes me a bit uneasy when I get on mine
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #32015
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,833
There is something to be said about leaving the bike stock, engine wise anyway, and keeping it well serviced. The WRR is what it is.....a fun low-power bike.

Some of us will benefit from your unfortunate luck. Really sorry to hear about these issues though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
No offense taken......asking myself the same question......I "cheaped out" up front and it's biting me in the ass now.....penny wise pound foolish (stupid)......

That said, I don't yet have confirmation as to what's causing the lack of compression/~88% blowby on leakdown......maybe I'll get lucky and it's just a bent/stuck valve.....doubtful.....
Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #32016
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
all studded up thanks to another inmate

mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #32017
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrou111 View Post
Well I won't be riding my WR250X for a while...

I changed the oil and filter. I didn't find any shavings or metal in the filter or on the bolt. With fresh oil in, I went for a ride to the gas station. The noise was still there while riding, and then it got louder and went *clunk* and then went away. I just figured it was a rock rattling around, so I was like "woohoo, the noise is gone!"

So as I am heading home (1.6 mile round trip) I notice that it is very difficult to shift gears. I pull into the driveway and notice that the gear shifter has slack both on the splines and the whole rod moves in and out. Not good.

Then I notice oil dripping down slowly. I look on the other side of the motor and see this...

So, what all is it going to take to replace the side cover?
Are you sure you didn't drop a screw in with the oil or something? It would seem very suspicious that this happens right after changing the oil. Also the X has no guards for the sidecase, a bit annoying but it may have been a rock or something...
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #32018
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Are you sure you didn't drop a screw in with the oil or something? It would seem very suspicious that this happens right after changing the oil. Also the X has no guards for the sidecase, a bit annoying but it may have been a rock or something...
Llamaha, I believe Jrou111's problem is some kind of stress fracture. I'm not seeing any type of point of impact; unless it is out of the photo. It would be hard for a big enough rock to hit at that location without leaving some impact point and not hitting the frame also. IMHO

pfy50 screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 06:58 AM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #32019
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Quote:
all studded up thanks to another inmate

Hello mpatch, are you going 'Winter Wonderlanding' that looks like a couple hundred $s worth of studs (unless they are reused); I've been looking at doing the same thing so I can go ride the local ATV trails since most of them leave for winter time.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #32020
einnar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Not to be a dick but if youre gonna spend the $$ on a big bore kit why not spend an extra couple hundred and get it properly dyno tuned and not have to worry about it?
Mine was properly dyno tuned. (Professionally.) Worked great when it did. Now it's being rebuilt.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #32021
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Hello mpatch, are you going 'Winter Wonderlanding' that looks like a couple hundred $s worth of studs (unless they are reused); I've been looking at doing the same thing so I can go ride the local ATV trails since most of them leave for winter time.
If you have access to a stud gun you can use car tire studs which are pretty cheap, anywhere between .10-.25 a piece.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #32022
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Quote:
If you have access to a stud gun you can use car tire studs which are pretty cheap, anywhere between .10-.25 a piece.
Naw, not unless someone around here has one it won't be cost effective. So if I can't find one(stud gun) locally then I might try the 'Grip-Studs' using a regular drill.
TNX
Old 12-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #32023
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Naw, not unless someone around here has one it won't be cost effective. So if I can't find one(stud gun) locally then I might try the 'Grip-Studs' using a regular drill.
TNX
Depends on where you live I guess. Around here studs are very common on cars if I were to call around I probably could find a tire shop that would do it for me. There are a few inmates locally that have the guns and studs. Keep an eye on ebay
Old 12-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #32024
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Hey guys,

First post here I'm going to do a bit of a introduction.

I'm 23, and last spring I decided I wanted to buy a motorcycle, took my course and went out and bought a brand new (possibly bad idea) 2012 wr250r. I started off putting around town and got used to the bike. Eventually I put a post up on a local dual sport forum saying I wanted to try some off roading. I ended up hitting up a trail with a very experienced rider and suffice to say it was a very bad experience for me. Firstly he had a KTM 300 2T totally done up. I was on my little 250r and oblivious to anything about off roading, had no idea how bad the stock tires were and I had a pretty bad time, dropped it so many times and was beating myself and my bike up and I left with a very sour taste in my mouth.

After that I didn't feel like touching the dirt again for a while. After I only had the bike for a few months I was riding on a road that was part pavement covered in a ton of gravel, I went around a 90 degree turn way too fast trying to slide my rear end out thinking I was tough shit. Halfway through the slide I realized I was going to fly into the ditch and I panicked and grabbed the front brake HARD. This threw me down on one side really bad and me and the bike slid a few feet on the gravel.

I got up, picked up the bike and initially I thought I made it out pretty clean, after a quick inspection I was gonna hop back on the bike and ride home (only about 5 mins away). I didn't realize at the time but I was pretty banged up and probably in shock, luckily for me I couldn't ride it off as my clutch level wouldn't come all the way in. I didn't realize at the time but my bars were badly bent and my lever was just bottoming out on the bar.

So I got a buddy to pick me up and left my bike on the side on the road... when I got home I went to take my glove off and noticed my glove was full of blood, my left thumb was swollen up about 2x its regular size (but I went down on my right side?). I fought off going to the hospital as long as I could but eventually went in and it turned out my thumb was broken pretty badly. Had to be casted for a month and it took many months before I could even use that thumb at all (not good considering I'm an aircraft mechanic)

So now my thumb is all healed up, my bike is fixed and sadly I have her put away for a long Canadian winters nap. After doing a lot of reading while I wasn't able to ride I have learned a few things. Namely the stock tires suck, and my bike was never properly adjusted for sag and rebound. So far I have ordered some new safety gear (mx boots, elbow pads, knee pads) and I plan on getting nobby tires as I want to give this off roading stuff another chance.

I'm being told that mt21 front and dunlop 606 rear is the ideal way to go?

I've also been looking around for an exhaust upgrade and was wondering if anybody knows how the two brother's exhausts are?

Are there any mods I need to do to my bike?

Here's a pic of my bike in her current state with the few upgrades I've put on her. I also have enduro engineering handguards/debris deflectors but haven't gotten around to installing them since the crash, still gotta cut the ends off my new bars I had to buy.

shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #32025
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
Hey guys,

First post here I'm going to do a bit of a introduction.

I'm 23, and last spring I decided I wanted to buy a motorcycle, took my course and went out and bought a brand new (possibly bad idea) 2012 wr250r. I started off putting around town and got used to the bike. Eventually I put a post up on a local dual sport forum saying I wanted to try some off roading. I ended up hitting up a trail with a very experienced rider and suffice to say it was a very bad experience for me. Firstly he had a KTM 300 2T totally done up. I was on my little 250r and oblivious to anything about off roading, had no idea how bad the stock tires were and I had a pretty bad time, dropped it so many times and was beating myself and my bike up and I left with a very sour taste in my mouth.

After that I didn't feel like touching the dirt again for a while. After I only had the bike for a few months I was riding on a road that was part pavement covered in a ton of gravel, I went around a 90 degree turn way too fast trying to slide my rear end out thinking I was tough shit. Halfway through the slide I realized I was going to fly into the ditch and I panicked and grabbed the front brake HARD. This threw me down on one side really bad and me and the bike slid a few feet on the gravel.

I got up, picked up the bike and initially I thought I made it out pretty clean, after a quick inspection I was gonna hop back on the bike and ride home (only about 5 mins away). I didn't realize at the time but I was pretty banged up and probably in shock, luckily for me I couldn't ride it off as my clutch level wouldn't come all the way in. I didn't realize at the time but my bars were badly bent and my lever was just bottoming out on the bar.

So I got a buddy to pick me up and left my bike on the side on the road... when I got home I went to take my glove off and noticed my glove was full of blood, my left thumb was swollen up about 2x its regular size (but I went down on my right side?). I fought off going to the hospital as long as I could but eventually went in and it turned out my thumb was broken pretty badly. Had to be casted for a month and it took many months before I could even use that thumb at all (not good considering I'm an aircraft mechanic)

So now my thumb is all healed up, my bike is fixed and sadly I have her put away for a long Canadian winters nap. After doing a lot of reading while I wasn't able to ride I have learned a few things. Namely the stock tires suck, and my bike was never properly adjusted for sag and rebound. So far I have ordered some new safety gear (mx boots, elbow pads, knee pads) and I plan on getting nobby tires as I want to give this off roading stuff another chance.

I'm being told that mt21 front and dunlop 606 rear is the ideal way to go?

I've also been looking around for an exhaust upgrade and was wondering if anybody knows how the two brother's exhausts are?

Are there any mods I need to do to my bike?

Here's a pic of my bike in her current state with the few upgrades I've put on her. I also have enduro engineering handguards/debris deflectors but haven't gotten around to installing them since the crash, still gotta cut the ends off my new bars I had to buy.

You made a great choice in the WRR. Hang in there & don't go out riding with any more sadistic SOB's. Some guys love to watch others suffer. You will find other riders with your same skill level & will improve the more you ride Rome was not built in a day
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote