Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #32176
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
Might I ask why you're going away from the Yammie?
The short answer is two blown top ends in one year.....cause/effect unclear......Reving the snot out of a small bore is a blast, but at what cost? After two top ends I no longer have faith in the integrity of the bottom end.....it just doesn't make economic sense to rebuild this bike again. I *may* opt to shop for a lightly ridden "stock" WR250R and jump over accessories/part out remainder from both bikes but I'm more inclined to move on now that KTM has fuel injected 350/450/500......we'll see....I really had a blast with the WR...
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 10:12 AM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #32177
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
...I'm more inclined to move on now that KTM has fuel injected 350/450/500....
You sound like me...I love my WRR, but will probably end up riding orange someday soon.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #32178
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
I'm in the process of installing the HDB guards and top clamp and noticed that it is going to be tough to get the key in/out. In fact, with the top clamp on, I can't get the key in at all.

Here are some pictures of the key with the point to the front and to the back and a view from the top.
I was reading on basher's site that he used his dremel to remove the point and make it rounded which is a really cool idea. But I'm concerned that it is not going to help since I can't get the key in at all right now.

Thanks
I wish I could help ba_ ; I have the same HDB top clamp, but mine is on top of a Scotts submount so it gives a inch of clearance for the key. If you are using stock handlebar mounts you could get a 1inch spacer to raise them enough to give key clearance.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #32179
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
I wish I could help ba_ ; I have the same HDB top clamp, but mine is on top of a Scotts submount so it gives a inch of clearance for the key. If you are using stock handlebar mounts you could get a 1inch spacer to raise them enough to give key clearance.
Thanks for the idea. I'm using the GYTR lower clamps for 1 1/8" bars. I'm not sure why I bought these instead of buying lowers from Paul...

ba_ screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 12:21 PM
ba_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #32180
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Yeah, once it all comes off the bike, it will all be up for sale. Hopefully someone will want the fairing/lights/Nav tower/tank setup all in one to make their bike into a rally bike or something.

Anyway, today I start the strip down work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Nice setup, I wish you did not live half way around the world...
I would be a buyer of some of the stuff..
Joe Watson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #32181
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Watson View Post
Yeah, once it all comes off the bike, it will all be up for sale. Hopefully someone will want the fairing/lights/Nav tower/tank setup all in one to make their bike into a rally bike or something.

Anyway, today I start the strip down work.
What size tank do you have on it.?? I may be interested if the shipping is not, my child's first year in college..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #32182
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
hahhah yeah, would have to get a shipping quote first hey! It is the IMS 4.7 gallon one.

Quote:
What size tank do you have on it.?? I may be interested if the shipping is not, my child's first year in college..
Joe Watson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #32183
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:
The short answer is two blown top ends in one year.....cause/effect unclear......Reving the snot out of a small bore is a blast, but at what cost? After two top ends I no longer have faith in the integrity of the bottom end.....it just doesn't make economic sense to rebuild this bike again. I *may* opt to shop for a lightly ridden "stock" WR250R and jump over accessories/part out remainder from both bikes but I'm more inclined to move on now that KTM has fuel injected 350/450/500......we'll see....I really had a blast with the WR...
It is probably a mushroomed valve or something. All bikes need work.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #32184
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
but I'm more inclined to move on now that KTM has fuel injected 350/450/500......we'll see....I really had a blast with the WR...
However, I believe there is no way of getting close to the WR250R mpg ratio, just in case this would be important. Not even the Freeride 350 with the FI 350 engine at reduced performance and lower rev can compete with the low WRR fuel consumption.
That may be an issue for your lengthy offroad trips.

Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #32185
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Hey guys,

I bought a set of enduro engineering hand guards for my bike and after dropping it a few times they were pretty much toast. These weren't cheap so I wanted to find out a less costly alternative. After some looking around I found these on ebay for $30 with free shipping.

It turns out these are real acerbis handguards without the branding for a fraction of the cost.

I'm sure many of you know about this but I know others don't.

I was wondering if there's any other sort of cheap chinese unbranded stuff I can pick up for my bike instead of paying premium just for the brand?
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #32186
japako
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
Hey guys,

I bought a set of enduro engineering hand guards for my bike and after dropping it a few times they were pretty much toast. These weren't cheap so I wanted to find out a less costly alternative. After some looking around I found these on ebay for $30 with free shipping.

It turns out these are real acerbis handguards without the branding for a fraction of the cost.

I'm sure many of you know about this but I know others don't.

I was wondering if there's any other sort of cheap chinese unbranded stuff I can pick up for my bike instead of paying premium just for the brand?
If you wish to support the Chinese, go ahead. I bought the real Acerbis hand guards and they are still good after may falls in Big Bend.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #32187
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
If you wish to support the Chinese, go ahead. I bought the real Acerbis hand guards and they are still good after may falls in Big Bend.
You kinda missed my point, they ARE acerbis handguards... without the name.

They are manufactured in China so you are already supporting the Chinese if you're buying this stuff... just not paying twice as much for a sticker that says acerbis
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #32188
japako
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
You kinda missed my point, they ARE acerbis handguards... without the name.

They are manufactured in China so you are already supporting the Chinese if you're buying this stuff... just not paying twice as much for a sticker that says acerbis

I understand what your saying.. But,, I will not knowingly purchase a knockoff of the real product. It's kinda like buying a movie that you know is not the real label.. Just my view and not trying to dis you..
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #32189
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,619
>"However, I believe there is no way of getting close to the WR250R mpg ratio, just in case this would be important. Not even the Freeride 350 with the FI 350 engine at reduced performance and lower rev can compete with the low WRR fuel consumption."

Oddly, these two 650's achieve the same fuel economy as the WRR. Ditto the new Honda 700... go figure.

WR250R - 60-65 mpg
KTM 690 - 60-65 mpg
Dakar F650 - 60-65 mpg
Honda 700 - 60-70 mpg (ADV mileage)

However... other engines are not that effecient.

KTM 990 - 45 mpg (FI)
KTM 500 - 40-50 mpg (FI)
KTM 450 - 40-50 mpg
Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #32190
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,163
I can tell you by real world riding. That my buddy and I rode together home from PA last summer, he was on his F800gs and I was on my wrr. We got almost identical mpg.