Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #32191
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
Hey guys,

I bought a set of enduro engineering hand guards for my bike and after dropping it a few times they were pretty much toast. These weren't cheap so I wanted to find out a less costly alternative. After some looking around I found these on ebay for $30 with free shipping.

It turns out these are real acerbis handguards without the branding for a fraction of the cost.

I'm sure many of you know about this but I know others don't.

I was wondering if there's any other sort of cheap chinese unbranded stuff I can pick up for my bike instead of paying premium just for the brand?
You bent or broke EE handguards?

That being the case you will fucking demolish these wanna be Acerbis things... no way they are really Acerbis.

You should look for some knock off Cycra handguards, since Cycra makes the most solid stuff then surely the knock offs of them will be a step above all other knock offs....

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #32192
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Forget cheap. HDB.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #32193
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
So this is how the bike looked yesterday.

Smiley face

After a couple of hours in the shed, it looked like this:

Smiley face

Started getting it back together. Should have it back to stock tomorrow.
Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #32194
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
What are you planning on doing with the holes in the head stem?
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #32195
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
You bent or broke EE handguards?

That being the case you will fucking demolish these wanna be Acerbis things... no way they are really Acerbis.

You should look for some knock off Cycra handguards, since Cycra makes the most solid stuff then surely the knock offs of them will be a step above all other knock offs....
lol...

These ARE acerbis handguards. Acerbis has their products manufactured in China. These are the same handguards, from the exact same plant, just without the ACERBIS sticker on them.

And Yes I bent the EE ones during a nasty crash on pavement I also bent my bars and broke my thumb and I understand these wouldn't hold up any better but as I was saying I bought them because they are cheap enough you can replace them if you have to.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #32196
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

I filled them with two part metal putty and gave it a quick spray job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
What are you planning on doing with the holes in the head stem?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 AM   #32197
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Watson View Post
So this is how the bike looked yesterday.

After a couple of hours in the shed, it looked like this:

Started getting it back together. Should have it back to stock tomorrow.
Hey Joe - I enjoyed reading your WRR build up. I just bought an 08. You are handy with the metal fabrication.

What are you going to buy now and curious why you are selling the WRR?

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #32198
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
If you wish to support the Chinese, go ahead. I bought the real Acerbis hand guards and they are still good after may falls in Big Bend.
Let's see....my Klim leather gloves are made in China and my Klim jersey is made in Taiwan. My Black Diamond mountaineering gloves are made in Vietnam. The motor in my Mini was made in Brazil. I am pretty sure my mac and iPhone is made in China too.

On the other hand my Subie is made in Indiana...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #32199
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks mate, I enjoy doing the build logs cause it is good to go back over it myself to see what I did and when etc. Yeah, I love my fabrication work! Worked on cars and bikes for many years now. All just hobby stuff though really.

I am going to go for a KTM200 or 300 two stroke. I am only riding in the bush now and it goes to and from in the back of my van. So I thought I may as well get something a lot lighter and a lot more powerful and really enjoy the riding that I am doing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ View Post
Hey Joe - I enjoyed reading your WRR build up. I just bought an 08. You are handy with the metal fabrication.

What are you going to buy now and curious why you are selling the WRR?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #32200
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Let's see....my Klim leather gloves are made in China and my Klim jersey is made in Taiwan. My Black Diamond mountaineering gloves are made in Vietnam. The motor in my Mini was made in Brazil. I am pretty sure my mac and iPhone is made in China too.

Just the final assembly is done in Lafayette...who knows about the parts...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #32201
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

You know that & I know that, but some chose to live in a dream world where we are all separate
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #32202
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
Hey guys,

I bought a set of enduro engineering hand guards for my bike and after dropping it a few times they were pretty much toast. These weren't cheap so I wanted to find out a less costly alternative. After some looking around I found these on ebay for $30 with free shipping.

It turns out these are real acerbis handguards without the branding for a fraction of the cost.

I'm sure many of you know about this but I know others don't.

I was wondering if there's any other sort of cheap chinese unbranded stuff I can pick up for my bike instead of paying premium just for the brand?
IMHO un branded merchandise is quite often pirated copies(sometimes of cheaper material) or stolen off the assembly line by corrupt employees. Don't support brand theft it only hurts the industry we support by undercutting the registered brand seller we are just hurting ourselves.
Thus endeth the sermon
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #32203
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Watson View Post
Thanks mate, I enjoy doing the build logs cause it is good to go back over it myself to see what I did and when etc. Yeah, I love my fabrication work! Worked on cars and bikes for many years now. All just hobby stuff though really.

I am going to go for a KTM200 or 300 two stroke. I am only riding in the bush now and it goes to and from in the back of my van. So I thought I may as well get something a lot lighter and a lot more powerful and really enjoy the riding that I am doing now.
Awesome - I'm going to see how I like this WRR....I know I will enjoy the low maintenance....I had a KTM 03 450exc that I sold in 2011.....I wish I would have never sold that one. I had it well sorted and it purred like a kitten....until you twisted that throttle.........I will miss that power and suspension.....I'm hoping that putting around on this 250 will fit the bill but from what I've read I think I made a good choice...

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #32204
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,228
My own "Fiscal Cliff"

I want 6 speed/fuel injection and I salivate over the new KTMs, but it's hard to process the cost against need/budget...........~$10K+ by the time you add armor/GPR/fuel tank/etc.......I think the KTM path would set me back an extra ~$7K minimum vs. picking up a lightly used "STOCK" WR250R for around ~$3-4K.....

I already have a bad ass KTM 300 XC-W and it'll need a top end in a bit (~160 hrs since last top end)....I need to bank some $$ for that so I can continue to use it for all the fun/technical stuff I ride...

I've found "stock" WRs in the ~$3-4K range on Craigslist within a ~400 mile radius of San Diego......that's probably the smart money........find a STOCK WR250R and leave it alone....just change the gearing, jump over my non engine related farkles, and part out the extra wheel set, fuel programmer, FMF exhaust system, and any other left overs to you folks or whomever out in EBay land.......better to spend a few grand and wind up with a low mileage/farkled "stock" bike as opposed to rebuilding my current WR250R.......thinking more and more that's the route I should pursue even though it's not the route I want to pursue.......I "want" another bad ass/new KTM but all I really "need" is a smooth/fuel injected/go anywhere "traveler" to compliment my KTM 300 XC-W.....if I didn't already have a plated 300 XCW it would be a tougher decision......

What a bummer.......guess we all wish we had more $$$......but the reality of daughter(s) weddings, dental bills, vet bills, taxes, etc. brings great levity to the equation......

The third option is to wait on Fuel Injection until the next go around in "X" years, part out the current heavily farkled WR, then go buy a low mileage/prefarkled/carburated KTM......something like this (tho his price seems a bit on the high side): http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/3515219596.html

Always enjoyed my KTMs (950/620/400/520/300)........BUT, the little WR250 is probably a better ADV "traveler"........to go "anywhere"......

I'll figure out my personal fiscal cliff game plan and let you folks know what, if any, WR parts I'll be selling.....stay tuned.....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 08:43 AM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #32205
jrou111
Stair Climber

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
After seeing the first picture I figured it would look like that inside. How many miles are on the bike?
Sorry just now seeing this...

13.5k miles
jrou111 is offline   Reply With Quote