Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #32206
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
I want 6 speed/fuel injection and I salivate over the new KTMs, but it's hard to process the cost against need/budget...........~$10K+ by the time you add armor/GPR/fuel tank/etc.......I think the KTM path would set me back an extra ~$7K minimum vs. picking up a lightly used "STOCK" WR250R for around ~$3-4K.....

I already have a bad ass KTM 300 XC-W and it'll need a top end in a bit (~160 hrs since last top end)....I need to bank some $$ for that so I can continue to use it for all the fun/technical stuff I ride...

I've found "stock" WRs in the ~$3-4K range on Craigslist within a ~400 mile radius of San Diego......that's probably the smart money........find a STOCK WR250R and leave it alone....just change the gearing, jump over my non engine related farkles, and part out the extra wheel set, fuel programmer, FMF exhaust system, and any other left overs to you folks or whomever out in EBay land.......better to spend a few grand and wind up with a low mileage/farkled "stock" bike as opposed to rebuilding my current WR250R.......thinking more and more that's the route I should pursue even though it's not the route I want to pursue.......I "want" another bad ass/new KTM but all I really "need" is a smooth/fuel injected/go anywhere "traveler" to compliment my KTM 300 XC-W.....if I didn't already have a plated 300 XCW it would be a tougher decision......

What a bummer.......guess we all wish we had more $$$......but the reality of daughter(s) weddings, dental bills, vet bills, taxes, etc. brings great levity to the equation......

The third option is to wait on Fuel Injection until the next go around in "X" years, part out the current heavily farkled WR, then go buy a low mileage/prefarkled/carburated KTM......something like this (tho his price seems a bit on the high side): http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/3515219596.html

Always enjoyed my KTMs (950/620/400/520/300)........BUT, the little WR250 is probably a better ADV "traveler"........to go "anywhere"......

I'll figure out my personal fiscal cliff game plan and let you folks know what, if any, WR parts I'll be selling.....stay tuned.....
Hope you stay with the WR. We need your input & your adventures to keep us enthused
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #32207
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Hope you stay with the WR. We need your input & your adventures to keep us enthused
You and I are going riding regardless
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #32208
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You and I are going riding regardless

Deal
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #32209
Aleeoop70
EX-MX Adv Tourist

Oddometer: 95
Unanswered Question re: FP-HUS fuel pump for WR250R

Someone asked this question in the many "fuel pump failure" posts but I'm not sure anyone ever answered it so I will ask it again now (and yes I did the search to see if it was ever answered and I do not believe it was).
The FP-HUS fuel pump from California Cycle Works was cited as being a suitable replacement for the stock WR250R fuel pump. The question was asked if this pump can be mounted/attached to the stock "basket mount" or does it hang from the fuel line and "free float" in the tank without being secured. Has anyone here performed this replacement? Would it be a viable "field repair" or would fabrication tools be needed? Thanks in advance for you patience and hopefully answers.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #32210
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,642
Anyone own an X model they put R wheels onto? Found a local deal on a near 08 motard for $3200, but wheels/brakes/gearing to make it an X may kill the "deal"

I have owned several enduros and bought 17's for them and was in the $1000-1400 range. I'd sell the 17's as I have no use for a motard type bike where I live unless I shod them with TKC-80s
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #32211
thumpergirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I gotta vent. This seems like an appropriate thread. I just took my 08 wr250r to Big Bend Ranch State Park in west Texas. That thing climbs like a damned mountain goat. It'll take on anything. If anyone is considering buying one, ummm... just do it. This is one hell of a bike.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #32212
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
I'll figure out my personal fiscal cliff game plan and let you folks know what, if any, WR parts I'll be selling.....stay tuned.....

When you crunch the numbers, the WR looks good, and you have the farkles already.

The flesh is weak, and the lust factor for the 350 is high. 10K for a single cylinder bike seems high....But after a test ride...

Anyway, back to the fiscal cliff.
Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #32213
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
When you crunch the numbers, the WR looks good, and you have the farkles already.

The flesh is weak, and the lust factor for the 350 is high. 10K for a single cylinder bike seems high....But after a test ride...

Anyway, back to the fiscal cliff.

Yeah a close friend of mine caved in to those very same ills. $10k for the bike, $5k for the farkles, $2k for all the new safety gear. Another $2k for entry fees and maybe $2k more for chase expenses. Top speed in the dez was 96mph on his GPS.

I offered my WRR for free...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #32214
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpergirl View Post
I gotta vent. This seems like an appropriate thread. I just took my 08 wr250r to Big Bend Ranch State Park in west Texas. That thing climbs like a damned mountain goat. It'll take on anything. If anyone is considering buying one, ummm... just do it. This is one hell of a bike.
Just an unsolisited, unbiased random opinion
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #32215
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Some free WRR/X stuff in the flea market

Here is the link.

Seat is already gone.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #32216
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 82
need handguards

Looking to buy some handguards with the plastic deflectors. Lots out there. What do you like? What's the best bang-for-buck model?

thanks.
ADWrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #32217
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,542
HDB handlebar lower clamps

Did anyone purchase the tall (2 1/2") lower clamps from HDB? Did you have any issues with the length of any of your cables or need to re-route your controls?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #32218
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn27 View Post
Looking to buy some handguards with the plastic deflectors. Lots out there. What do you like? What's the best bang-for-buck model?

thanks.
Cycra or Highway Dirt Bikes.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #32219
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
Did anyone purchase the tall (2 1/2") lower clamps from HDB? Did you have any issues with the length of any of your cables or need to re-route your controls?

I've got the tall HDB clamps with a Scotts submount and Henry Reid bend Pro Tapers. All of the stock cable lengths are
working fine for me.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #32220
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
IMHO un branded merchandise is quite often pirated copies(sometimes of cheaper material) or stolen off the assembly line by corrupt employees. Don't support brand theft it only hurts the industry we support by undercutting the registered brand seller we are just hurting ourselves.
Thus endeth the sermon
I bought a set of those guards off of eBay back when I had my dr200. If you look at them in person, the date markings molded into them from the molds/dies are completely full. This combined with the little bit of slop in them makes me think that someone at acerbis wasn't too careful about destroying the tooling once it wore out, and it got nabbed. I doubt you'll find too many others with identical knockoffs like these from acerbis in the future..
-M
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote