Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #32431
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Well, UtahFox.. pretty much everything I've done is on my website, basherdesigns.com, I have a list of farkles and pretty much all my DIY mods...

Hmm.. what to do this winter
Cool, got it bookmarked for a month or two down the road...
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #32432
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
I'm one of the 'others', I just poked my head out the front door and took this...

I might wear a fleece to work tomorrow......the weather is a real bitch in "Sun" Diego
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #32433
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Searching this thread is tough.

So we have 3 options I see or tanks. IMS 3.0 $265, IMS 4.7 $400, Safari 3.7 for $500.

Common sense tells me IMS 4.7. had one on the KLR and never had an issue. Whats says ADV? both brands take a fall(s) well? We all know what the Safari looks like from BigDogs bike. An extra gallon and $100 cheaper, what's the catch?
I've got the IMS 3.1 and have carried a ROTOPAX probably on a dozen rides. Along with a 1L emergency bottle. However, I never have used either of the auxillary bottles. That being said, I kinda wish that I had got the bigger IMS tank for the piece of mind. Spent 10 days in Utah and Colorado last summer on tour and the bigger tank would have been a bit less hassle. For day riding the 3.1 is no big deal and you don't notice it's size at all. Plus I think it looks better.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #32434
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Heck, I'm in Central California and I have done rides that push my Safari tanks range to handle.

It all depends on where you live and how available fuel is to you. There are places south of here where you
can ride 300 miles if you're taking the back roads and never be close to a gas station without diverting
and backtracking.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #32435
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
I made the concious decision that I will use a fuel bladder if I ever require it as I hate messing with stock things on my bike because it costs money and at the same time lowers value and almost always reduces durability.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 AM   #32436
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Anyone else see this months Rider Magazine.. they once again did a shootout with the WR250R, CRF250L, and the KLX250S... and this time ACTUALLY had a WR250R to ride!! Last time they didn't and still did a review.. lol Now I'm not sure about Rider Mag's "adventure" test riders.. sometimes they are a bit "wannabe" adventurers, but they still gave the win to the WR250R.. again!
I don't see it on-line http://www.ridermagazine.com/

Please post a link if you've got one.

Thank you.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #32437
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Fuel question

I am thinking of choosing the WR250R for a South America, possibly to extend to RTW, trip. The trip is still far off and I am in the planning phase, picking a bike is the first step. I have read a lot about the WR250R and it seems like a great bike, not your most popular choice, but still seems capable. The one concern I have it poor fuel quality and low octane gas. The WR250R is a high compression engine and I was not sure how it would behave in the heat, under strain, with low octane gas. Does anyone have first hand experience with this?

ggemelos screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 10:02 AM
ggemelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #32438
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Anyone have a set of plastics they want to get rid of? I don't care the color or condition, or even if they match.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #32439
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Going to my least favorite dealer today to look at both the Yamaha and the Honda. May even ask for a test ride
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #32440
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Anyone have a set of plastics they want to get rid of? I don't care the color or condition, or even if they match.

I do Matt......a blue set. zero off-road miles. On a bike with 2K street miles. Blue with perfect OE stickers. Rear fender might have a few boot scratches. You can have all of them, even the headlight shell.

Whatever you think is a fair price.....I'll even deliver them the two miles. Lol.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #32441
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I do Matt......a blue set. zero off-road miles. On a bike with 2K street miles. Blue with perfect OE stickers. Rear fender might have a few boot scratches. You can have all of them, even the headlight shell.

Whatever you think is a fair price.....I'll even deliver them the two miles. Lol.
Sounds too nice for my blood...I am going to change mine up a little bit so it doesn't match everyone else's, looking for a not so nice set to experiment on.

You still have a set of lowering links?

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #32442
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
I am thinking of choosing the WR250R for a South America, possibly to extend to RTW, trip. The trip is still far off and I am in the planning phase, picking a bike is the first step. I have read a lot about the WR250R and it seems like a great bike, not your most popular choice, but still seems capable. The one concern I have it poor fuel quality and low octane gas. The WR250R is a high compression engine and I was not sure how it would behave in the heat, under strain, with low octane gas. Does anyone have first hand experience with this?

I have not noticed any denotation with cheap gas, YRMV. I don’t like doing it but sometimes you have to. Same thing with my 800 GS.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #32443
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post

I am interested in the stock headlight fairing ...

Also looking for a stock exhaust cover in good shape. The one on the bike I bought is melted.

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #32444
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Rider Magazine comparo

Well, the first published comparison of the mighty Japanese 250's has come out... (that I have seen anyway) KLX vs CRFL vs WRr.... The WRr won despite it's MSRP

However, ALL of the bikes rated well as they should.... I'm wondering if Kawasaki will be rolling out a revised version of the KLX using the same formula used on the 250 Ninja (now 300cc). A 300cc FI engine in the ol' KLX, if so, that will be the new leader in the segment.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #32445
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Sounds too nice for my blood...I am going to change mine up a little bit so it doesn't match everyone else's, looking for a not so nice set to experiment on.

You still have a set of lowering links?
Yep, not certain what brand. Billet aluminum non adjustable that are black anodized.

Have a stock link (that I am putting back on soon) provided gratis by a nice inmate.....so I am supposed to pass on the favor.