Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #32461
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
WR250R Weight

297 lbs with 3.1 gallons gas (IMS 3.1 gallon tank - full)
283 lbs with 1 gallon gas (I believe that matches the factory spec)

All the usual extras stripped off, FMF header, FMF Q4 pipe, Moose bar guards, alloy foot pegs, seat concepts seat, IRC GP-1 tires, heavy duty tubes.

I suppose the WR could lose a couple more pounds, (I've heard 178 bare minimum) but probably not worth it. (stuff like mirriors, bar guards, lightweight battery, standard weight tubes, kickstand and whatever...)
I rode trails on a WRR back to back with my KLR 250, which weighs about the same and has 10 less HP. The WRR felt a bunch lighter than the KLR, number one because of the low center of gravity, and number two because it is sprung so well.

I also had my KTM 450SX there, whic is about 40 pound lighter and better sprung, and there was not as big a difference between it and the WRR as there was between the WRR and the KLR.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #32462
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Ohioans taking this bitch over....

Here's my new entry to the WRR crew. 2008, 5k miles, the necessary farkles... Procured from an inmate today. His pic, it's still on the back of my truck right now, couldn't ride it home because I had to take my 5 month old son with me to pick it up. Plan on making it not so clean tomorrow....

That's super clean! Has all the farkles I need to purchase for mine too.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #32463
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Ohioans taking this bitch over....

Here's my new entry to the WRR crew. 2008, 5k miles, the necessary farkles... Procured from an inmate today. His pic, it's still on the back of my truck right now, couldn't ride it home because I had to take my 5 month old son with me to pick it up. Plan on making it not so clean tomorrow....

I have those windshield mounts on my WRR. It might be a good idea to watch what happens to the front brake hose when the suspension is compressed the way it's set up now. I'll see if I can find a pic of how I did mine, but I know the hose goes "over" the left hand mount.

I had to take the top guide loop off and let the hose lay back in the groove made by the blinker mount. I actually slipped the hose up in the lower clamp a little to make it longer. After I lowered the bike and slid the forks up a little that made it even better.

KansasBob screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 09:14 AM
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #32464
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 466
Almost Ready....BUT

It's almost ready for my trip(ref:#31820,31923), extra fuel capacity includes Safari tank, newer 1.75 rotopax and 8L. fuel bladder. BUT I am having an issue with the current tire. I just put on a new Kenda 270 on the front and I am getting a slight pogo/bouncing action in the front suspension at around 28-35mph more so when I am slowing down from a higher speed than when accelerating up through that range. I have eliminated some of it by uping the rebound setting, but have not eliminated it. Has anyone here have a similar problem?

pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #32465
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
...BUT I am having an issue with the current tire. I just put on a new Kenda 270 on the front and I am getting a slight pogo/bouncing action in the front suspension at around 28-35mph more so when I am slowing down from a higher speed than when accelerating up through that range. I have eliminated some of it by uping the rebound setting, but have not eliminated it. Has anyone here have a similar problem?
Have you balanced the front tire? Looks like there's a rim lock on there, but I don't see any balance weights. That would make it bounce for sure.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #32466
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,892
How evenly are those front bags loaded, and how heavy are they? Are you sure you have enough gas?
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #32467
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
I've gotten some bouncing around those speeds with a rimlock until I balanced it. I did a pretty crude balancing at home and it 95% solved the problem.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #32468
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,667
Is the engine case, specifically the stator side, aluminum or magnesium?

I holed mine today, punched the shifter right through it. If aluminum, I can get a guy to weld it up... if not aluminum I guess I'll be buying a new one.

If I can weld it up, should I leave it on the bike to keep from warping it, or pull it off?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #32469
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
Aluminum, take it off it won't warp.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #32470
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
Alrighty. So even though my overall bar height is only 1.5" taller than stock and the protapers are only .5" wider than stock, I don't have enough throttle cable length to position the throttle housing in it's stock orientation. I tried rerouting the cables outside of the fairing, but that didn't gain me any length and exposed them too much, so I ended up rotating the throttle tube and housing 180 degrees upside down. Clearance is now good and function is good. Are there any issues with doing this? I do see that there is a small hole (drainage hole?) in the housing that is now pointed straight up rather than straight down. Nothing a dab of silicon coudn't fix if rain and water could be an issue.

I know a few have raised the stock bars 2" and said cable clearance was fine with, I assume, the throttle in the stock orientation. I'm just not seeing that as possible with my setup, even though I've only netted 1.5" of additional rise. So, short of getting two new longer throttle cables, this seems to be the only option.

Here is a pic with 180 degree rotation (throttle cables coming off of the bottom of the throttle housing rather than top). Note this is taken from a low angle so that is why the starter/kill switch housing looks to be angled so high.
Chad are you still running your throttle tube and housing 180 degrees upside down? I'm just completing my HDB install and I don't have enough slack in the throttle cables with the housing in the stock position.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #32471
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Aluminum, take it off it won't warp.
I'm gonna trust ya on this!

Thanks...

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #32472
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Have you balanced the front tire? Looks like there's a rim lock on there, but I don't see any balance weights. That would make it bounce for sure.
Yes, cjbiker the front is computer spin balanced with no rim lock just a larger alum. air valve cap is what you probably see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
How evenly are those front bags loaded, and how heavy are they? Are you sure you have enough gas?
skierd, those bags up front are only light clothing about 2 lbs per side and were there when I had the previous OEM trailwing on it with no problem. This problem only showed up after I mounted the new Kenda 270 which is the first time I have used one, and was wondering if anyone who has used them before ever ran into this problem.
As for the fuel storage I may drop the rotopax before the trip; I'm still in the pre-trip testing stage for full up load.

pfy50 screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 03:41 PM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #32473
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I'm gonna trust ya on this!

Thanks...
You're wecome.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #32474
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
I just noticed that justgastanks.com is a bit of a misnomer. In addition to the obvious, they also have Wolfman gear, Seat Concepts seats, and Rotopax gas cans. Another plus is they offer 5% off to Advriders.

I have a stock bike in desperate need of attention. Are there any other places with one-stop shopping for touring farkles?

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #32475
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Yes, cjbiker the front is computer spin balanced with no rim lock just a larger alum. air valve cap is what you probably see.

skierd, those bags up front are only light clothing about 2 lbs per side and were there when I had the previous OEM trailwing on it with no problem. This problem only showed up after I mounted the new Kenda 270 which is the first time I have used one, and was wondering if anyone who has used them before ever ran into this problem.
As for the fuel storage I may drop the rotopax before the trip; I'm still in the pre-trip testing stage for full up load.

Just for the heck of it, can you jack up the bike until the front wheel is off the ground?. If you can, make sure the brake is not dragging and spin the wheel. If it stops at the same place after a few times, it is more than likely the wheel is out of balance.

I don't trust spin balances, as they need to be calibrated and they can be off. Also not many shops think that knobbies need to be balanced.

This is not a perfect way, but it will show an out of balance wheel.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote