Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #32506
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWheel View Post
I am getting a Dunlop 606 front tire (90/90x21) and rear tire (120/90x18) to replace my aging stock WRR tires. Many inmates here like the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. So I thought I might try them.

However, I have not found that tube in the size of either of the two tires. Both RockyMountainATVMC and Motorcycle-Superstore via chat said that the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes they sell would not fit.

I must be missing something pretty basic.

For what size of tubes should I be looking?
Between the heavy D606 tires and Ultra Heavy Duty tubes, that might be a bit much on the 250! I helped my buddy put in Ultra Heavy Duty tube in his DR and wow that was one massive tube and somewhat of a PITA to mount in the tire too! I would have hated to try and do a trail side repair with that tube in there.

I usually just run "Heavy Duty" tubes and those do just fine.

With that said as for size, the most important thing is to find an 18" tube for the rear and a 21" tube for the front. Generally, the tube doesn't have to be the exact same size as the tire. Usually a certain tube fits a range of tires in that given diameter.

What size tubes are you finding?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #32507
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,853
I found the stock bridgestone tube to not only fit well in a D606 (90/90-21 is one of its listed sizes if memory serves), but it takes patches well and is durable too.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #32508
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
6'-3" or so? Makes the KTM look pretty short !

Yep, wish my legs were that long. Then I could ride a KTM..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #32509
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
The Bridgestone HD tube for the front is Bridgestone Heavy Duty Motorcycle Tube 80/100x21 and the rear is Bridgestone Heavy Duty Motorcycle Tube 110/100x18.

I hope that is what you asked for... I've had a few..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #32510
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,359
I've tried Maxxis, Michelin, Kenda, IRC, and Fly Racing tubes. I only use the normal heavy duty ones (because the super heavy duty tubes are a major pain to install)....

Of all the brands I've used over the past few years, I like the IRC the best. Very rugged yet still easy to install (I use only baby poweder)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

110/100-18 will work fine in a Dunlop D606 @ 120/90-18

Kenda Tuff Tube is also very good, and would be my 2nd choice.

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #32511
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 139
First High Five, now Crawdaddy, and BigDog still has the WR but has purchased another bike as well !! Hmmmmm!

Enjoy boys, its all good! Thanks for all your congtributions to this site and for answering many PM's from ADV'ers regarding the WR.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #32512
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
I am getting a Dunlop 606 front tire (90/90x21) and rear tire (120/90x18) to replace my aging stock WRR tires. Many inmates here like the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. So I thought I might try them.

However, I have not found that tube in the size of either of the two tires. Both RockyMountainATVMC and Motorcycle-Superstore via chat said that the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes they sell would not fit.

Like they said above http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...ultra+hd+tubes

select 80/100-21 front and 110/100-18 rear from pull down window
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #32513
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:

For the price these are great tubes. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...otorcycle-Tube
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #32514
LooseWheel
hearded cat

Oddometer: 5
BlueLightning,
skierd,
japaco,
thumpididump,
pfy50,
alansz400,

Thank you!!
Thanks all, for sharing your knowledge and experience.
I now feel much more confident in choosing some tubes to try withmy 606s.

Ride safely and have a helluva lotta fun doin it.
LooseWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 AM   #32515
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 974
wr250 dirt tire question

will a 120/90 - 17 pirelli MT 21 work on the back wheel? I know a 130 works but I can only find a 120 width here in Costa Rica.
Also, will a 110 width work on the front?
Crap...In the title, I meant to tell you this is for a WR250X

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #32516
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020 View Post
will a 120/90 - 17 pirelli MT 21 work on the back wheel? I know a 130 works but I can only find a 120 width here in Costa Rica.
Also, will a 110 width work on the front?
Crap...In the title, I meant to tell you this is for a WR250X
Yes, up to 110/70-17 front
140/70-17 rear so 120 can be used with resultant lower traction, but it looks like you want to go off road if your getting a MT-21.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #32517
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,803
I have a question for you. Last spring I cracked/broke/mangled the multi-function display on my WR. It still functioned except for the back light so I just left it and used it as is. I couldn't read it at night but that wasn't a big deal to me. Now in the dampness of winter it's finally quit displaying anything. All the leds still work but the display is kaputski. So my question(s). Should I replace it with a stock display or go with a Trail tech or Vapor tech display? What are the advantages/disadvantages of either? Will a new display show the correct mileage or will it start from 0? If 0 is there a way to program in the mileage? Is there a way to read this info from the broken display?

That's enough for now
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #32518
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
I have a question for you. Last spring I cracked/broke/mangled the multi-function display on my WR. It still functioned except for the back light so I just left it and used it as is. I couldn't read it at night but that wasn't a big deal to me. Now in the dampness of winter it's finally quit displaying anything. All the leds still work but the display is kaputski. So my question(s). Should I replace it with a stock display or go with a Trail tech or Vapor tech display? What are the advantages/disadvantages of either? Will a new display show the correct mileage or will it start from 0? If 0 is there a way to program in the mileage? Is there a way to read this info from the broken display?

That's enough for now
You can program the mileage in when you get a vapor. You will also end up with a more accurate mileage count (eventually) and a more accurate speedometer (it is set based on tire size and within .5 mph of gps on my bike). As an added bonus, sprocket changes will not affect the accuracy of your speedometer since the vapor tachs read speed off the front wheels rotation. The stock one as you know will end up off unless you use a speedohealer to calibrate when you do sprocket changes.

Thing is, I have heard things about the WR not starting if the stock cluster is removed. See: http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5...ter-tachometer

Im not sure, but if you need to have the stock cluster, I wouldnt even waste time with a vapor unit.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #32519
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post

That's enough for now
It's part of your Fuel Injection computer, and the bike won't run without it. If you buy a used one it will read the mileage that was on the other bike when it was taken off. I don't know if your local Yammi dealer has the ability to go in and manipulate the mileage like car dealers can on newer cars..... they might, but I would guess not.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #32520
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
It's part of your Fuel Injection computer, and the bike won't run without it. If you buy a used one it will read the mileage that was on the other bike when it was taken off. I don't know if your local Yammi dealer has the ability to go in and manipulate the mileage like car dealers can on newer cars..... they might, but I would guess not.
And there is the voice of wisdom
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote