ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #32611
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
The last thing on the list (for now) is a front sprocket cover and a case saver, but I didn't order those yet.
I have the Sandman Freedom case-saver & guard in wrinkle black powder coat finish, and like them a lot.



Nice job with the rear rack, I like the size. My GYTR is too small.
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #32612
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,749
Does anybody make case savers like this one for the DR650SE from Procycle for the WR250R/X?

__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #32613
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,017
steering dampner

The term "GPR" isn't handled well when searching for steering dampner info.
The MSRP price of the Scott's and GPR are the same (hmm. nothing fishy there) but was wondering if this group of owners had come to any sort of a preference on one over the other for this particular motorcycle. And if anyone knows of a vendor offering good deals on either one that would be appreciated. Thanks
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #32614
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!
 
Reposado1800's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: 5th and Main
Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
As life changes so does bike needs for some folks... so it's all good. Neither High Five nor Crawdaddy switched bikes because the WR had issues(well we know Crawdaddy's story heheh )... just different bike for how they wanna ride these days. BigDog's retired so thats a different story.. lol

I lust daily over different bikes.. not gonna sell my WR... but that Tenere XT660Z needs to come to the states!! If that thing comes over the Versys is gone and Tenere in ....
New bike lust is an evil beast.
__________________
Hate gets you nowhere.
Tequila is a weapon of mass destruction.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #32615
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, Ohio
Oddometer: 10,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Does anybody make case savers like this one for the DR650SE from Procycle for the WR250R/X?
Not that I know of, but I'd like one. I punched my shifter through the case a few weeks back, and luckily was close to home; but out on the trail somewhere that'd be a game stopper.

I had thought VW Sandman made them, but I looked at his site and he does not.
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." - DBT

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #32616
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!
 
BMW-K's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Anaheim, CA
Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Not that I know of, but I'd like one. I punched my shifter through the case a few weeks back, and luckily was close to home; but out on the trail somewhere that'd be a game stopper.

I had thought VW Sandman made them, but I looked at his site and he does not.
I took the cheap route on this: I cut a piece of 1/16" steel plate stock to fit on the case where the shifter would impact in the case of a nasty crash. I used epoxy to glue it into place.

At this point if I crashed hard enough to punch through that plate I would have destroyed the entire case. And likely the whole bike.
__________________
2010 F800GS Anniversary - a return to Eden
2011 Yamaha WR250R, 2012 Ducati Monster
2007 R1200GS (Sold)

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #32617
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
As life changes so does bike needs for some folks... so it's all good. Neither High Five nor Crawdaddy switched bikes because the WR had issues(well we know Crawdaddy's story heheh )... just different bike for how they wanna ride these days. BigDog's retired so thats a different story.. lol

I lust daily over different bikes.. not gonna sell my WR... but that Tenere XT660Z needs to come to the states!! If that thing comes over the Versys is gone and Tenere in ....
And there's always new folks being added here all the time. I have some Easton bars showing up today, to give you an idea. I may have to do a 'trip' report of me sitting on my couch with my new bars. Someone buy my bike please, k?thxbye
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #32618
holiday
DL650K7
 
holiday's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 88


Is this a production bike? I've searched the internet unsuccessfully for its origins. Any leads?
holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #32619
thumpididump
MacGyver
 
thumpididump's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 2,360
I remember seeing that photo here in this thread several weeks ago, and IIRC correctly, it was a kit motor installed in a regular bicycle. The bike itself seems to be a $99 model from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-La-Jo...-Bike/17206784


http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine-...gine-kits.html



Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday View Post

Is this a production bike? I've searched the internet unsuccessfully for its origins. Any leads?
__________________
+ + + + + +

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #32620
holiday
DL650K7
 
holiday's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 88
]I remember seeing that photo here in this thread several weeks ago, and IIRC correctly, it was a kit motor installed in a regular bicycle. The bike itself seems to be a $99 model from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-La-Jo...-Bike/17206784

That solves half the question. Thanks!
holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #32621
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ecarnell's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 360
Anyone run a dirt tricks sprocket 13/47 combo on their WR?
I've asked on the wr250r forum, but only one reply.

In need of a new chain and sprocket after 12,000km of hard running.
Currently Using a 12T front and sprocket 43 rear - and like this gearing so want to keep this ratio - but back to a 13t front.

Thinking of the F1 13T front, and a YZ47 Rear - and a new Regaina ORN6 O-ring chain (520X120 Links).

Any reason why this wont work (besides new counter sunk bolts required)?

Thanks.
__________________
2014 KTM 500 EXC
2011 KLR
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #32622
thumpididump
MacGyver
 
thumpididump's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 2,360
IMO, you're wise to revert to a 13T on the front because of the reduced risk of the chain destroying your swingarm. A 47T will yield slightly shorter gearing and your chain length will only require 110 links.

Changing one tooth up front is roughly equivalent to 3 teeth in the rear.

The stock combo 13/43 has a ratio of 3.31

12/43 = 3.58

13/47 = 3.62

13/46 = 3.53

Good reference here:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5...-and-sprockets



Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
Anyone run a dirt tricks sprocket 13/47 combo on their WR?
I've asked on the wr250r forum, but only one reply.

In need of a new chain and sprocket after 12,000km of hard running.
Currently Using a 12T front and sprocket 43 rear - and like this gearing so want to keep this ratio - but back to a 13t front.

Thinking of the F1 13T front, and a YZ47 Rear - and a new Regaina ORN6 O-ring chain (520X120 Links).

Any reason why this wont work (besides new counter sunk bolts required)?

Thanks.
__________________
+ + + + + +

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #32623
GSBS
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,843
+1

I've been running the 13/47 combo for over a year after the 12/43 gearing (very close to 13/47, BTW) caused my chain to eat into my rubber swing arm guard. Since the change to larger front and rear sprockets I've had no issues with wear on the swingarm guard.

FWIW, I went with a Primary Drive brand (from Rocky Mountain MC) sprockets and their gold x-ring chain (110-link). The total cost with shipping, including a spare master link, was just under $101. After more than 12k miles it's still looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
IMO, you're wise to revert to a 13T on the front because of the reduced risk of the chain destroying your swingarm. A 47T will yield slightly shorter gearing and your chain length will only require 110 links.

Changing one tooth up front is roughly equivalent to 3 teeth in the rear.

The stock combo 13/43 has a ratio of 3.31

12/43 = 3.58

13/47 = 3.62

13/46 = 3.53

Good reference here:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5...-and-sprockets
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #32624
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I've been running the 13/47 combo for over a year after the 12/43 gearing (very close to 13/47, BTW) caused my chain to eat into my rubber swing arm guard. Since the change to larger front and rear sprockets I've had no issues with wear on the swingarm guard.

FWIW, I went with a Primary Drive brand (from Rocky Mountain MC) sprockets and their gold x-ring chain (110-link). The total cost with shipping, including a spare master link, was just under $101. After more than 12k miles it's still looks great.
Based on this same advice, I ordered a Primary Drive 47, to use with the like-new OEM 13 front, which the previous owner had replaced with a 12. I like 12/43, so 13/47 should be spot-on. I am waiting for the OEM chain to need replacing, and monitoring the seal-guard closely.

I did live-chat with a rep at Rocky Mountain, and he wasn't able to help. The PD sprockets look to have both straight and countersunk holes.

Can you confirm whether I need different rear sprocket bolts than the OEMs? It seems to be mentioned frequently, but I haven't seen a conclusive reply.

Thanks!
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #32625
GSBS
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post

Can you confirm whether I need different rear sprocket bolts than the OEMs? It seems to be mentioned frequently, but I haven't seen a conclusive reply.

Thanks!
I used the stock bolts with mine. It also has an extra set of countersunk holes. Since I reused the bolts I had I didn't check for alignment of the other holes, but they appear evenly spaced between the other holes, so I assume the'd match up with countersunk bolts/screws.

Hope that helps!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014