ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #32656
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rider_WV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Leon, WV
Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
What about the softer interm. Pirelli Scorpion Pro All Terrain/Enduro Front Tire instead of the MT21


This is what I run on the front with a MT43 rear. The Scorpion pro is a great tire, tracks well in loam, mud, deep gravel etc.. Its decent on hard pack but it will chunk the outer knobs from time to time.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #32657
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: lakewood, co
Oddometer: 437
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
What about the softer interm. Pirelli Scorpion Pro All Terrain/Enduro Front Tire instead of the MT21

Did they drop that tire or change the name? There is nothing by that name on the Perelli site. I see they are still for sale by that name at various places.
__________________
- DR650
- WR250R times 2
bradrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #32658
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 4,147
Tires & oil & a million opinions. To some extent where you live & ride dictates tire choice. WRR very easy on tires. I get lots of good miles from Maxxis Desert IT 110/100 rear & Maxcross SI 80/100 front.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #32659
pfy50
Professional nOOb
 
pfy50's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Oneida, Tenn.
Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
Did they drop that tire or change the name? There is nothing by that name on the Perelli site. I see they are still for sale by that name at various places.
Don't know bradrh
You may be right the site seems to be pushing only their new MX line. Only seem concerned with motocross racing, no mention of DOT type tires.
I got the image off the Motorcyle-superstore site which is still selling it.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
__________________
My Odyssey: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566875
2013 TEX XC,2011 WR250R,2004 KAWA Concours,1994 BMW K1100RS
May the Lord bless you and keep you in all the Dark places you must travel

pfy50 screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 07:39 AM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #32660
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...
 
Rapid Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Strangel Living West of Hell, SoCal
Oddometer: 9,658
Cool2 An offering - learn from my mistakes - less is more...

I'd assume those trials tires would be pretty good on rock slab.
I almost bit on a set of those...too.

That said, most fellas here on the WR thread don't have bevy of tires available to swap out that others do.
I've tried several sets of tires before I settled on the MT21 (I shoulda listened to my friend...).

Michelin T63's where fine, and cheap too, but no... then I wanted big macho dirt tires.

Metzeler Unicross'
were next. These were big nasties, the rear looked massive.
I couldn't figure out why the bike felt like it was pushing the front end and wouldn't hold a straight line over whoops and sand. At the time I had a lowering link. Removed that and it was somewhat better, but still the handling kinda sucked.

Dunlop D606
's - I fell to public opinion. I had all the suspension sorted now. The 606 was pretty good all around. Felt real confident on the street. But the front end could be iffy on hardpack jeep trails in the hills where I normally ride. All in all an acceptable tire...but...

Now the Pirelli MT21's are the shite. Much more confidence on all dirt doings. Much more confident in the front end. Awesome in sand compared to the others.

All this said, I attribute 90% of the 'bad' handling to having too tall of a rear tire on these bikes. The T63's were fine because they are small in stature than the D606 and especially the Unicross which was huge.
I ran 120's in all these rears.
To be certain of my suspicions, I ordered a 110 rear in the MT21.
Life is so good now...

So, just pay close attention to the actual size the rear tires you're looking at compare to the actual size of the OEM tires.
You can spend alot of cash and brain cells wondering WTF is up with your bikes handling.
__________________
'91 R100GSPD Derelict Deux , '81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red/'06 950 ADV Orangeboom/91 R100GSPD Derelict etc.

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #32661
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer
 
simmons1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Out Riding
Oddometer: 1,596
I like MT21's a lot, but the rears wear out way too fast for me. Current favorite is MT21 front and 606 rear. 606's are getting expensive so I am going with an MT21 and T63 next set.
__________________
Goldwing, Super Tenere, WR250R, ST1300, KLR, GS1000s, GT750, H2 750, H1 500
simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #32662
thumpididump
MacGyver
 
thumpididump's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 2,766
I've got a Scorpion Pro on the front and I love it. Great on gravel, rocky trails, sand and mud. A great match with a D606 on the rear.

I will buy this tire again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
What about the softer interm. Pirelli Scorpion Pro All Terrain/Enduro Front Tire instead of the MT21


__________________
Keyboard Diarrhea
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #32663
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer
 
30Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Marion, IA
Oddometer: 4,703
I think the MT-21 is the most overrated tire out there right now. Wear stupid fast on larger thumpers with power. I would try one on a WRR however.
30Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #32664
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer
 
simmons1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Out Riding
Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
I think the MT-21 is the most overrated tire out there right now. Wear stupid fast on larger thumpers with power. I would try one on a WRR however.
I know from experience they wear fast on the small thumpers as well.
__________________
Goldwing, Super Tenere, WR250R, ST1300, KLR, GS1000s, GT750, H2 750, H1 500
simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #32665
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer
 
30Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Marion, IA
Oddometer: 4,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
I know from experience they wear fast on the small thumpers as well.
Then I retract my previous comment
30Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #32666
duanew1
In my Pajama pants
 
duanew1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
Did they drop that tire or change the name? There is nothing by that name on the Perelli site. I see they are still for sale by that name at various places.

I found it pretty easily here:

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/mo...road%26use%3D1

I think that they just changed the name a little to designate the F.I.M racing development.
__________________
Bikes I own
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1992 Yamaha XT225
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #32667
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I think that they just changed the name a little to designate the F.I.M racing development.
From a friend of mine who places very well in the Baja Hare Scrambles.....He's a big believer in FIM enduro comp tires....

"I always talk about these. and use them for years now. Ive pulled holeshots in pure sand on my 450 with these because the actual carcass is like a balloon and float up on top. For sharp stuff that same carcass acts like a trials tire and wraps around stuff with great edcr absorbtion. unlike trials tires they are designed to ride/slide/and power around corners at speed, the side walls are more flexible than mX tires but a less flexxy then the high sidewall trials tires. FIM tires are DOT and designed not to dig the crap out terrain EU is very picky about that stuff FIM has complied. PS you dont need big knobs on rocks you need more surface area and carcass flex for grip. IMHO alot of folks using trials tires are trying to accomplish whats all ready been done for non-trials bikes, using FIM enduro comp tires (always 13psi and under, I ran mine at 12F and 10R now i use michelin mousses so its no issue)
FIM enduro tires, Pirelli Scorpion Pros (easiest and cheapest of the FIM to get here in the US). I would use any of the brands but pirellis are readily availble here.

Factual- Most every extreme enduro superstar (erxberg winners, romaniac winners,roof of africa winners etc) uses FIM enduro comp tires the added key for them is their use of drilled and cut Mousses for a single digital psi feel.

if you use tubes go with michelin airstop HDs at 10psi or even less in rear and 12 or less up front.

if using them go with the 90/90-21 front for all sizes and 120/90-18 size for 250 and - 4T and 249 and- 2Ts. 250+ 2 stroke and 350+ 4T go with the 140/80-18. I use 120/90-18 on my 310 because its really a 250 size machine. "
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #32668
Wingnut037
Two Sheds
 
Wingnut037's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
From a friend of mine who places very well in the Baja Hare Scrambles.....He's a big believer in FIM enduro comp tires....

"I always talk about these. and use them for years now. Ive pulled holeshots in pure sand on my 450 with these because the actual carcass is like a balloon and float up on top. For sharp stuff that same carcass acts like a trials tire and wraps around stuff with great edcr absorbtion. unlike trials tires they are designed to ride/slide/and power around corners at speed, the side walls are more flexible than mX tires but a less flexxy then the high sidewall trials tires. FIM tires are DOT and designed not to dig the crap out terrain EU is very picky about that stuff FIM has complied. PS you dont need big knobs on rocks you need more surface area and carcass flex for grip. IMHO alot of folks using trials tires are trying to accomplish whats all ready been done for non-trials bikes, using FIM enduro comp tires (always 13psi and under, I ran mine at 12F and 10R now i use michelin mousses so its no issue)
FIM enduro tires, Pirelli Scorpion Pros (easiest and cheapest of the FIM to get here in the US). I would use any of the brands but pirellis are readily availble here.

Factual- Most every extreme enduro superstar (erxberg winners, romaniac winners,roof of africa winners etc) uses FIM enduro comp tires the added key for them is their use of drilled and cut Mousses for a single digital psi feel.

if you use tubes go with michelin airstop HDs at 10psi or even less in rear and 12 or less up front.

if using them go with the 90/90-21 front for all sizes and 120/90-18 size for 250 and - 4T and 249 and- 2Ts. 250+ 2 stroke and 350+ 4T go with the 140/80-18. I use 120/90-18 on my 310 because its really a 250 size machine. "
Thanks again Chris. Going to put a lower profile rear on the wife's we as the trials is a bit tall for her. I'm loving the low impact of it here on the mountain. Tractoring up these hills with almost no impact is great. Feel free to stop by and ride any of our two and a half WR's if you get the itch, but be warned, the new one is pretty low on power...
Wingnut037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #32669
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...
 
Rapid Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Strangel Living West of Hell, SoCal
Oddometer: 9,658
Thumb

...oh yeah, and I run low pressure, like, in the 12's front and 16 rear, like Crawdady sez...
__________________
'91 R100GSPD Derelict Deux , '81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red/'06 950 ADV Orangeboom/91 R100GSPD Derelict etc.

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #32670
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...oh yeah, and I run low pressure, like, in the 12's front and 16 rear, like Crawdady sez...


~10-12 front/8-10 rear
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015