Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #32746
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Jelous - Looks like fun. How do you like the Safari tank. It sure look nice in blue.
I've been loving the Safari tank. I think I got one of the first ones that made it over here and were available for delivery.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #32747
sodapop
Caffeinated

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
I found that 17's vs. 21/18 did not handle rough paved roads as well. The larger 21" front rolls over humps and drops better. It's smoother and more controlled.

If you are just riding on smooth roads with the 17s, you probably won't notice it much.
Interesting point. A lot of the miles I will be riding are on bombed out post-recessionary pavement.

This is why I was thinking 19/17. But, it may still be a wacky idea on a WRR. I guess I could get a second set of 21/18 wheels and mount less aggressive tires. Input welcome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Gone: 2007 Honda VFR800A, 2006 Suzuki SV650S, 2002 KTM 125SX, 1994 Yamaha YZF750R, 1992 Honda CBR600R, 1991 Suzuki GSXR750R, 1989 Yamaha FZR600R, 1983 Honda CR80R, 1982 Honda XR80R, 1979 Yamaha GT80
sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #32748
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
Interesting point. A lot of the miles I will be riding are on bombed out post-recessionary pavement.

This is why I was thinking 19/17. But, it may still be a wacky idea on a WRR. I guess I could get a second set of 21/18 wheels and mount less aggressive tires. Input welcome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

17's front and rear are great, no real reason not to go with them. Fantastic turn in, tons of traction with good rubber, more fun than is probably legally allowable in California, NY, and Illinois especially in any sort of urban setting. They're not even as bad as they should be off-road, even with true street sport tires. I was initially extremely bored with my WR250R until I turned it into an X, and the X change really made it a different motorcycle. Seriously, the full monty supermoto conversion turns a nice dual sport into the ultimate urban commuter hooligan machine. Just don't expect the tires to last any longer...

Either set of wheels can take you anywhere you want to go after all... just outside of Deadhorse on the Dalton highway back in June

Or with the wheels it came with, on the beach in Ocracoke, Outer Banks, NC.

Or exploring the Appalachian Mountains back when she was a much newer bike

skierd screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 10:21 PM
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #32749
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
So after sitting around for a few months waiting for my leg to heal and not being able to ride the WR, I've decided to start working on a nav tower for it to get into rallying a bit...Here's the second iteration of the tower:

I'm waiting to hear back from the vendor, but at the moment I'm planning on using one of these tweaked for a WR to cover it all up:
i am interested in how you are going to mount it to the frame

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #32750
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,660
I am thinking about selling my Excell dirt wheels for an X. They are black rims, they have Tubliss and some high mileage 606s on them.
I want to do my suspension and I have been pretty happy with the Shinkos on my 17" wheels so I am thinking about selling these. They also have the rotors and a sprocket in decent condition.
I may be talked into a partial trade for stock X wheels.

If anyone is interested let me know. Preference to local riders as I would prefer not to ship them.

I have not posted in the flea market or other areas yet. I don't pay much attention to my wheels, I just try to run them off.

a pic of them on the bike just before I took them off...

They are not new. If you want pristine, shiny, new wheels these are not for you.
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #32751
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,721
CRF250L vs WR250R

I sure would had to see someone make the wrong purchase

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858964

I'm not good with words.. lol I do agree the CRF250L is a great bike, but man.. it just doesn't feel as nimble/quick/fast as the WR250R... so the review or debate really is.. how do you ride. If we are talking country road adventure riding then ok... not a LOT of advantage but if we take it deeper in the woods and what the bike ultimately can do, then I think we see the WRRs differences become more evident quickly...

Maybe it's just me.. Ramz has both so maybe he can pipe in more.. but after riding the CRF its a great bike for adventure touring but I just didn't feel it handle as good. more casual rider position and i did noticed the extra weight..

Feb' issue of Rider mag did a review of the CRF/KLX/WR, they put #1 WR, #2 KLX, #3 CRF, they write,

"The strongest performer overall, no matter the surface is the Yamaha. But its not perfect -- an annoying narrow clutch engagement point makes day-to-day riding more difficult and hinders clutch slipping in technical off-pavement work. It's also cold-blooded, which is unusual for the fuel-injected machine. Still, the most serious riders - at least with serious bank accounts - will buy the Yamaha, spin up the best 250cc motor we've seen and never look back. Because if they do, there might be a KLX250S nipping at their knobs."

I guess if I just putted around and enjoyed light adventure riding and wanted to save some cash on features of a bike I'll never really use, then I'd look at the CRF250L.. but since I don't fit that class... I made the right purchase

Happy Monday fellas!

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #32752
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
... It's also cold-blooded, which is unusual for the fuel-injected machine.
Never had much trouble with my WR starting on cold mornings???......then again, "Sun" Diego is a different type of "cold"

That said, my 350XCF-W is much more temperamental than the WR ever was....I have to choke it everytime in the morning (yes, it has a choke unlike the WR....also has a kick back-up which is nice)
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #32753
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,084
Thumb 17ism

I'm surprised how well the 17" work (Distanzias)...or did I say that awready...
Managed to putt up to the tiptop of Parker Mountain locally, can have some real technical sections after the rains. Was a piece o cake.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #32754
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaw View Post
Hey 1-down 5 up. I've got 21,000 on my original 5/08 fuel pump. I'm sure others have more miles. I think they either go bad or they last and last and last...
About 12,000 here on my 08. Workin fine. Never run dry! Fires & runs flawlessly on 8 degree mornings
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #32755
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
I sure would had to see someone make the wrong purchase

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858964

I'm not good with words.. lol I do agree the CRF250L is a great bike, but man.. it just doesn't feel as nimble/quick/fast as the WR250R... so the review or debate really is.. how do you ride. If we are talking country road adventure riding then ok... not a LOT of advantage but if we take it deeper in the woods and what the bike ultimately can do, then I think we see the WRRs differences become more evident quickly...

Maybe it's just me.. Ramz has both so maybe he can pipe in more.. but after riding the CRF its a great bike for adventure touring but I just didn't feel it handle as good. more casual rider position and i did noticed the extra weight..

Feb' issue of Rider mag did a review of the CRF/KLX/WR, they put #1 WR, #2 KLX, #3 CRF, they write,

"The strongest performer overall, no matter the surface is the Yamaha. But its not perfect -- an annoying narrow clutch engagement point makes day-to-day riding more difficult and hinders clutch slipping in technical off-pavement work. It's also cold-blooded, which is unusual for the fuel-injected machine. Still, the most serious riders - at least with serious bank accounts - will buy the Yamaha, spin up the best 250cc motor we've seen and never look back. Because if they do, there might be a KLX250S nipping at their knobs."

I guess if I just putted around and enjoyed light adventure riding and wanted to save some cash on features of a bike I'll never really use, then I'd look at the CRF250L.. but since I don't fit that class... I made the right purchase

Happy Monday fellas!
Wish my 2 local dealers had either bike to at least look at. I like the Honda's price and know it won't be a big seller, so leftovers should be able to be had cheap. I still lean towards the Yamaha
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #32756
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Never had much trouble with my WR starting on cold mornings???......then again, "Sun" Diego is a different type of "cold"

That said, my 350XCF-W is much more temperamental than the WR ever was....I have to choke it everytime in the morning (yes, it has a choke unlike the WR....also has a kick back-up which is nice)
Have picked up an Orange Bike also (450 EXC), and now I understand what they mean when they say KTM's are race bikes with a plate. Choke, finicky pumper carb, petcock, kickstart on cold and don't get me started on the 10 hours per oil change. Once it's running and you are at the trailhead, the grin factor is huge, but up to that point, the WR's still a winner. The "Just get on it and go" factor is huge on the WR.

Sat on one of those new hondas over the weekend. I could actually flat foot the thing which is nice, but man...there's a lot cheap looking plastic all over that thing. It sure doesn't feel like a dirt bike in the showroom. The salesman wasn't kind on comparing it to a WR, other than the price being less.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #32757
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Wish my 2 local dealers had either bike to at least look at. I like the Honda's price and know it won't be a big seller, so leftovers should be able to be had cheap. I still lean towards the Yamaha
The dealers can't keep the Honda in stock people are waiting months for them so far its a huge seller and has a huge following! Having rode my buddies its not even close to a wrr but your not gonna find any lying around most greedy dealers marked them up
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #32758
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
I'm surprised how well the 17" work (Distanzias)...or did I say that awready...
Managed to putt up to the tiptop of Parker Mountain locally, can have some real technical sections after the rains. Was a piece o cake.

Sweet ride.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #32759
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Happy Monday fellas!
Same back at ya :) Nice write up. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - for me, your setup is perfect - I love this pic...

I've been thinking about luggage a lot, and some of the rides in my future. I wonder, is there any way to lock the Wolfman bags closed?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #32760
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
a pic of them on the bike just before I took them off...

Is that a Giant Loop brand bag you have there, or one you rigged? Looks huge, yet not out of place. What have you got stowed inside?