Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #33016
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
I am looking at picking up a set of Pro Taper Contour bars. I am happy with the stock ride position and was wondering which bars are closest to the stock geometry.
Henry Reed.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #33017
TrailDust&SaddleLthr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
NICEST Rack!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
There is a guy that sells a nice billet one on WR Forum, comes in two sizes and works with the RotoPax

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t6...rack-available

I have the larger size of this one and it is awesome.... Quality is FIRST class and Jared, the designer and maker of this rack, is an awesome guy too!

I waited a long time to get a rack but sure glad I did... IMHO, this is THE finest made for our bike.

My 2 centavos.
TrailDust&SaddleLthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #33018
TrailDust&SaddleLthr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Fuel Pump... NO YAMAHA Warranty I was told...

[QUOTE=what broke now;20663968]I have no idea about Yamaha's warranty policy,...

A few months ago I thought my fuel pump had gone out so I had my dealer investigate a possible free replacement by Yamaha should I have needed one.... Good thing there was nothing wrong with my fuel pump afterall and I did not need to replace it... but, for what it's worth, according to my dealer, whom I trust (rare for me to trust anyone!), Yamaha did not show having any recall or anything of the sort on those fuel pumps, so, had I needed a new one, I would have had to pay for it!

From what I have read, it seems that the most common denominator of fuel pump failure was caused by extreme heat (bike sitting in the sun for hours, even with engine off) and low fuel in the tank. So, for better or for worse, this is what I will believe for myself and I won't worry about it until my pump craps out on me... till then, I will just ride and trust the bike!

Some inmates on here also posted failure on replacement pumps as well.

I also read on here that a few members got theirs replaced for free by Yamaha at one point... they were lucky devils! Don't expect it!

As far as cost, several inmates here mentioned the best place to get a new one was from Service Honda and those pumps cost about $215.00 or so a few months back. It seems that they were on backorder for a long time from Yamaha though... don't know if it is still the case.

Thought I'd share my personal experience and what I heard on the subject.

Nothing more.

Cheers!
TrailDust&SaddleLthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #33019
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,526
[QUOTE=TrailDust&SaddleLthr;20683184]
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
I have no idea about Yamaha's warranty policy,...

A few months ago I thought my fuel pump had gone out so I had my dealer investigate a possible free replacement by Yamaha should I have needed one.... Good thing there was nothing wrong with my fuel pump afterall and I did not need to replace it... but, for what it's worth, according to my dealer, whom I trust (rare for me to trust anyone!), Yamaha did not show having any recall or anything of the sort on those fuel pumps, so, had I needed a new one, I would have had to pay for it!

From what I have read, it seems that the most common denominator of fuel pump failure was caused by extreme heat (bike sitting in the sun for hours, even with engine off) and low fuel in the tank. So, for better or for worse, this is what I will believe for myself and I won't worry about it until my pump craps out on me... till then, I will just ride and trust the bike!

I also read on here that a few members got theirs replaced for free by Yamaha at one point... they were lucky devils! Don't expect it!

As far as cost, several inmates here mentioned the best place to get a new one was from Service Honda and those pumps cost about $215.00 or so a few months back. It seems that they were on backorder for a long time from Yamaha though... don't know if it is still the case.

Nothing more.

Cheers!
A good dealer can have them replaced under the emissions warranty. Several have but some won't.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #33020
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,066
My fuel pump quit working last fall after the bike sat for a few months. I pulled the pump out and cleaned the electrical connector real good and then dabbed some electrical grease in there to keep out the elements. It started working again and got me through a 2500 mile trip. I ordered a new pump just in case... $405!

That connector is totally exposed to all the mud and water that collects under the tank. Cleaning and protecting it periodically is probably a good precaution.

Quote:

A few months ago I thought my fuel pump had gone out so I had my dealer investigate a possible free replacement by Yamaha should I have needed one.... Good thing there was nothing wrong with my fuel pump afterall and I did not need to replace it...

Nothing more.

Cheers!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #33021
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 78
Quote:

Nothing more.

Cheers!
Great info guys, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #33022
bogboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:

Nothing more.

Cheers!
Do these pumps seem to go when you install a larger tank? I plan on getting a 4.7 IMS and was wondering if it has to do with fuel below pump while pump runs instead of being submerged. Have folks been having problems with stock tank fuel pumps?
bogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #33023
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
[QUOTE=bogboy;20685333]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDust&SaddleLthr View Post

Do these pumps seem to go when you install a larger tank? I plan on getting a 4.7 IMS and was wondering if it has to do with fuel below pump while pump runs instead of being submerged. Have folks been having problems with stock tank fuel pumps?
I can only relate my experience... 2010 WR-R I purchased new. I installed the 4.7-gallon IMS tank in May of 2011 and have since put over 10K miles on it. The bike has almost 21K total. No fuel pump issues.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #33024
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,223
I have not had an issue with my pump 30k kms on bike about 20k of that has been with an ims 3gal tank. But I did have a failure with a 2007 versys fuel pump. Died and left me stranded in a parking lot. Same deal just shy of $400
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #33025
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,524
Pro Moto Billet rear rack

Whoever has installed one of these things were you able to get a lot of threads into the nylock nuts on the front most bolts? Seems like those bolts could be a few mm longer
Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #33026
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,724
>"Whoever has installed one of these things were you able to get a lot of threads into the nylock nuts on the front most bolts? Seems like those bolts could be a few mm longer "

I believe there were two shim lengths provided (ie. tubular shims). If you have the wrong shims in the wrong place the bolts will turn out to be too short.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #33027
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
I believe there were two shim lengths provided (ie. tubular shims). If you have the wrong shims in the wrong place the bolts will turn out to be too short.
I put the long ones in the front and the short ones in the rear since the instructions didn't specify. It seemed to leave the rack nicely balanced front to rear. Did I mix it up?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #33028
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,724
>"I put the long ones in the front and the short ones in the rear "

I think it's the opposite...
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #33029
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
I have this one and it's awesome. Really well made.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Thanks guys, I ordered one of these.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #33030
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"I put the long ones in the front and the short ones in the rear "

I think it's the opposite...
I'm sensing that