Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #33166
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,682
I ran a too tight chain and just killed a countershaft seal. Ran the OEM chain too loose and killed the slider.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #33167
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
I thought the excess wear was due to a "too tight chain".

I've been reading this thread for 2 years and still confused as to the cause.
The Axis of the Drive Axel Assembly is not in line with the pivot axis of the swingarm(it's lower) so the chain goes around the drive sprocket then down and under the swingarm pivot and up to the rear sprocket causing a point of friction wear when the suspension is in certain attitudes during its arc of movement(travel up and down). This is why going to a 14 tooth drive sprocket was recommended by some as its wider diameter keeps the chain from touching the slider as much. Comprende'

See alignment in pic:

pfy50 screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 07:54 PM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #33168
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,297
I finally found some time to get down to the garage and start working on the WR. The plan for today was to replace the stock gearing with a new set, plus a new chain. I decided to go with 14T front and 52T rear combo, and an RK X-ring chain.
Having spend my allowance on the goodies, I went to the garage and started removing things. But, as motorcycle plans usually go, this one was no exception - it decided to throw some obstacles in my way.
Everything worked just as it should until I took the swingarm off. Heck, I was halfway there, so why not take it apart to inspect the needlebearings. I'm glad I did.

The chain slider was completely worn through, and the chain started cutting into the swingarm. Since this bike only has 5k on it, I cannot help myself to not blame the previous owner. With proper chain maintenance and proper care, neither the front sprocket nor the swingarm should look like this.

Well, I'll have to place an order for new chain slider, and while I'm waiting, I'll be taking all the bushings, bearings, and linkage in the rear suspension apart.

Front sprocket at 5k miles
The new sprocket is huge compared to the stock. That should help the bike crawl in the woods.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #33169
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,813
^^^^ Henry: I went to a 12/45 combo specifically for more grunt in the woods. Helps to loft front wheel over small logs easier..plus gives more engine braking in second...which is something I wanted for trail riding/rear sliding in tight turns.

BUT, I may go back to a 13T front, since the bike with be a part time commuter this season. I have about 3K miles on my WRR , and minimal wear on my slider, even with the 12T. But again, 80% of those miles are two years worth of single track/enduro riding.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #33170
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Holy cow !!!!
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #33171
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Thanks for the help with the chain. Hopefully I will be able to get this right next time I try. So I need to break loose the lock nut, then use another wrench to screw that screw outward and that will push the chain back right? Then tighten lock nut, then tighten the main shaft bolt back and I'm good?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #33172
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
So what is the consensus on the best replacement battery. Mine wont hold a charge so it needs replaced. I will not spring for a Shorai that thats off the list.

I am eyeballing the bikemaster gel battery on Rocky mountain. Anyone running that model?
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #33173
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Also, another noob question. How often to you clean or wax the chain? I used to do it on my SV every 600 miles or so, but since this is getting a lot wetter and dirtier I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do it more often or less.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #33174
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
So what is the consensus on the best replacement battery. Mine wont hold a charge so it needs replaced. I will not spring for a Shorai that thats off the list.

I am eyeballing the bikemaster gel battery on Rocky mountain. Anyone running that model?
Why not the Shorai? I'm assuming that since you say you won't 'spring' for it, money is your issue? I'm planning on getting one, so I'm curious.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #33175
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Also, another noob question. How often to you clean or wax the chain? I used to do it on my SV every 600 miles or so, but since this is getting a lot wetter and dirtier I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do it more often or less.
Now there's a question that might be considered open for debate!

Right now I'm doing an experiment with mine - an off-brand (primary drive) gold x-ring chain. A buddy and I decided to not lube at all to see how our x-ring chains do. Theoretically these chains are supposed to be sealed to keep everything out of the moving innards.

My chain has been on the bike about 10K miles and isn't kinking yet or stretched noticeable yet. Hasn't needed adjusting yet anyway.

Sprockets are pretty shiny though. When it gets muddy I do try to get the mud and grit off the chain as soon as possible.

FWIW, on my 03 Dakar, which now has about 83K miles on her, I was getting over 25K miles on DID x-ring chains and the stock BMW steel sprockets. On that bike I was using the Dupont Teflon lube ($5 at Lowe's), which was a dry lubricant with a solvent propellant. I would lube it every other tankful which on that bike is about 400 miles. However about a year or so ago they changed the formula to a wet lubricant so I quit using it, though if this WR chain goes in the next few thousand miles I'll likely go back to lubing my chains with the Teflon stuff as it's cheap.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #33176
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
If you want a good battery just go to Batteries Plus if you have one nearby. Why is this so difficult?
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #33177
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Why not the Shorai? I'm assuming that since you say you won't 'spring' for it, money is your issue? I'm planning on getting one, so I'm curious.

the main reason for no shorai, all the guys at the local shop(ktm/gasgas/husky/berg) say they are not reliable. Im not spending that kind of cash on a battery that they see issues with regularly. I have known these guys for a long time, rode with them before they ended up in the shop, if they say they are unreliable I tend to believe them.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #33178
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
the main reason for no shorai, all the guys at the local shop(ktm/gasgas/husky/berg) say they are not reliable. Im not spending that kind of cash on a battery that they see issues with regularly. I have known these guys for a long time, rode with them before they ended up in the shop, if they say they are unreliable I tend to believe them.
I don't see any reason not to just get another Yuasa, equivalent to the oem battery. They seem to work very well...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #33179
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
If you want a good battery just go to Batteries Plus if you have one nearby. Why is this so difficult?
I dont have shit near buy, i live in the sticks and need to order parts for 3 other bikes, I was just trying to get a suggestion on a battery that Rockymountain carries, one order one shipment.

Battery quality tends to vary greatly and people in this thread have tried several different ones. Since there is no back up kicker its kind of important to pick up a good battery.

You dont even own a WR so STFU and get back on PBB
Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #33180
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
You dont even own a WR so STFU and get back on PBB
Fair enough.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote