Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #33901
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
WR Alumni checking in.....good cause this weekend....

Took a couple of guys on a preview of the loop I strung together for this weekend's "CORE 4 Kids" Fundraiser for Children's Cancer Research.

Any/ALL WR riders welcome to attend.......

Ride Report: http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15284-core-4-kids-preview-with-lane-and-paco/page

Teaser:

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #33902
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Sometimes it's more about the area you're riding and being as stealth as you can be. Not that you're in a place that you shouldn't be. More to keep it as a place that you can be.
I see keeping the exhaust reasonably quiet as part of the way to share the trails. I'll occasionally come across hikers or people riding horses on the unmaintained roads that I enjoy, they appreciate the quiet exhaust. I'd consider changing it if I only rode in OHV only areas though.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #33903
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
by the way welcome to the wr club buddy nice bike
Thanks! I feel I got a killer deal on it from a fellow inmate only 90 miles from home. I've been looking for over two years but lots of other stuff took precedence, then everything just kind of fell together and there she was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Congrats. You have ants in your pants just like me when I bought mine back in December. Funny thing is I've still got them. I eat up every chance I can to get out on mine. Looks like you got some great farkles out it. I got a good deal on mine, but it was bone stock so now I'm having to do a lot of modding. To a fellow VA'er, if you find a lot of good trails out near you I may need to make a trip out to ride.
I've ridden the area around Lex for over five years on my 1150GS and had to turn back a number of times 'cuz I didn't want to commit on the Big Pig, so I'm anxious to head back out and start looking a lot closer. There's a group on the other side of the Blue Ridge that rides regularly around the area (Cat Herders) that I'd like to hook up with. Posts I've seen indicate they've found some goodies out here. There's a couple of Virginia State-sponsored off-road vehicle (ORV) areas nearby that will be getting some scrutiny too. Give a shout if you're headed out this way and maybe we can meet up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
Hey!!

Give us a break.................... We have Fire. What are .... Trees?

Man, I feel your pain after living in Wyoming for 34 years. I had a number of DS bikes over the years but sold them when I moved here because I could only fit two bikes on my trailer (a BMW RT and GS) and I thought there wouldn't be any off-road opportunities out here. WRONG! It's not the same, but there's plenty of dirt to be ridden! This was near my home in Lander, looking at Roaring Fork Mountain (part of the Wind River Mtns.) from South Pass and the Red Desert. AWESOME riding out there...

Just above my house in the National Forest:

Red Canyon (aptly named, eh?):

I miss that stuff, but Virginia's pretty nice too; my house is down there just about where my helmet is covering:

I bought an XT225 for my wife to learn to ride, seen here on our ridge above the house, but it was too tall for her and I sold it to get another bike for her. It was a sweet little bike, my second, but the WR250R is a serious step up in off-road capability I think. Looking forward to testing it out!

The XT was carburated and one of the coldest blooded little bitches I've ever owned. Ran like a top when warm, but a demon to start! I had an older one when I lived in Wyoming for the kids to ride and it started every time first touch, no matter the temperature. I never did figure this bike out, but it's long gone so who cares.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and I hope to meet some of you guys out on the trails!

Doug
Old 03-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #33904
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Nice pics!
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #33905
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,312
WR fares well

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/157...-Shootout.aspx
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #33906
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Nice pics!
Thanks! I miss a lot of things about Wyoming, but having the bikes under cover and on a battery tender for five or six months isn't one of them. I can't believe how much I've missed having a dirt bike! The GS is an awesome machine, but you have to be careful of its weight and bulk so I don't take it some places I'd like to see. I had an RT when I moved here but it just wasn't getting ridden because there are so many fine gravel roads to explore, so I sold it and got some kayaks! Don't do much of that in Wyoming...

I'd always wanted to do some kayaking and Virginia is full of cool rivers. This is the James just a few miles from home. We sometimes put the kayaks and MC on the trailer and use the motorcycle as a shuttle vehicle, so I get the best of both worlds! Kinda miss the RT, but this helps salve my wounds .
Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #33907
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Finally a review that isn't sponsored by honda!
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #33908
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post

I'd always wanted to do some kayaking and Virginia is full of cool rivers. This is the James just a few miles from home. We sometimes put the kayaks and MC on the trailer and use the motorcycle as a shuttle vehicle, so I get the best of both worlds! Kinda miss the RT, but this helps salve my wounds .
Beautiful country. I was born and spent a lot of my life in & around Charlottesville. Last VA address was Scottsville, 50 miles due East of you. Spent many days paddling and fishing the James River.

Enjoy the WRR.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #33909
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
I see keeping the exhaust reasonably quiet as part of the way to share the trails. I'll occasionally come across hikers or people riding horses on the unmaintained roads that I enjoy, they appreciate the quiet exhaust. I'd consider changing it if I only rode in OHV only areas though.
+1
I was talking to a friend the other day, she said motorcycles were loud and smelly. Quiet 4 strokes is the way. We need to share the trail with these people and we don't want to make them hate motorcycles and want them banned.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #33910
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess I'm a little ignorant to your guys' problem as all of my riding is on trails where the only other people I will see are other dirt bikes/ATVers and aren't near any houses.

Anyway, I was wondering where you guys mount your fuel programmers? Do you leave it somewhere accessable? Not sure where I should strap my fmf one I'm getting.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #33911
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,290
I hate loud exhausts and those who might show up to an organized ride I am coordinating, with a loud exhaust, can go ride on their own.

We aren't a bunch of attention whore Harley buttplugs. The whole point of a dual sport like the WRR is to be able to explore stuff off the beaten path, and being quiet and unassuming is a ticket to seeing that shit. Being loud and boisterous is a shortcut to pissing off landowners and other users, and is douchebaggery in it's highest form.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #33912
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
I live in a 50/50 horse and motorcycle community, probably more equines than bikes. My wife rides, we have horses...and bikes....

When you come across horses on the trail, you need to STOP and turn off the motor.
Give the riders the option to pass you buy.
Most times they'll wave you by, which you should do quietly and and as unobtrusively as you are able.
Horses SPOOK.

Note, I've come across more than a few self-righteous ingrained moto hating horse people, both on the trail and in social situations...
They may have reason to be haters, but I won't give them the satisfaction.

Ride safe and share the trails.

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #33913
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
This thread is taking a decidedly mean spirited turn for the worse. Is there no way we can keep it cheerful and on topic? Noise & manners aren't unique to the WRR.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #33914
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Dirt bike and horse etiquette mega thread
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #33915
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I hate loud exhausts and those who might show up to an organized ride I am coordinating, with a loud exhaust, can go ride on their own.