Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #34321
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
I have the aluminum flatland skid plate and haven't had any noticeable problems with noise, I didn't even mount it with rubber washers. I do wear earplugs, and maybe I'm less sensitive to engine noise. Point is, it's not a problem for everyone.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #34322
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Ah, I was looking at the carbon fiber ones. I didn't know about the polyethylene model. It looks like there's no hole for the oil drain plug, is that correct?
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #34323
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-VT View Post
Ah, I was looking at the carbon fiber ones. I didn't know about the polyethylene model. It looks like there's no hole for the oil drain plug, is that correct?

I have occasionally done an oil change without taking off the skid plate. It makes such a mess that I usually go ahead and take it off. I think that it takes less time to remove the skid plate than to try to clean up the mess afterwards. So the hole is not that important to me.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #34324
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,172
Plastic. Drill. Just saying????
Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #34325
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Nope, there's a hole. I'll get a better pic of it on the bike.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #34326
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I have occasionally done an oil change without taking off the skid plate. It makes such a mess that I usually go ahead and take it off. I think that it takes less time to remove the skid plate than to try to clean up the mess afterwards. So the hole is not that important to me.
I'm with you on this one.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #34327
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
There is a hole for the oil drain plug on the plastic Moose skidplate. I installed the Moose yesterday and immediately changed the oil/filter afterward. The oil change was just as easy with the plate mounted; both the filter and drain plug are easily accessible. My plate was such a pain to install, I have no intention of removing it unless absolutely necessary. It's a really nice plate that doesn't seem to add any noise, mounting it can be a bit of a headache though.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #34328
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Plastic. Drill. Just saying????
Yah, I still had carbon fiber in my head. I wasn't sure about drilling it.

I'm honestly not sure which aluminum skid plate I have. I think it's from Moose, but I'm not totally sure. I've never had any problem changing the oil with it installed, anyway.

Even with foam stripping and earplugs, though, the noise starts to give me a headache after a few hours, especially when maintaining high, constant speeds. I'm not sure it's worth $160 to find out if the polyethylene version makes a big difference.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #34329
boogn1sh
Motorcycle crash-tester

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Search this thread for HighFive's setup tips. Or send the forks and shock to Go Race.
+1. Contact Travis @ GoRace. He knows all about the WRR shock and forks.
It'll will ride like a new bike once he works his magic. Best money I spent on my R2.

http://www.go-race.com

http://adventuresubaru.com
boogn1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #34330
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Okay I'm definitely not sending my suspension to anybody...
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #34331
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,683
Hey Guys,

I have a few bits and pieces from a WR250X: OEM handlebar, seat, axle sliders, and a single bolt for a brake disk (I think it's for the rear, but not certain). All cheap or free (before shipping).

Ping me privately if you are interested. All items in the SF South Bay, but I can ship them, too.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #34332
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
My WR met its new stable mate today:

Its a 1998 Nighthawk 750, only 6600 miles. Been sitting for almost two years, but fresh gas and a charged battery and she runs great! Lived most of its life in Ketchikan on the island, hence the low mileage. True to form, I of course rode her home instead of borrowing a truck as the weather finally got about freezing the last few days and all of the main roads were clear. Only time I really noticed how heavy of a bike she is was coming back in to my neighborhood where the streets are still a 4" thick sheet of ice, so I had to walk it in the last hundred yards or so.

Either way, it was great to get out and go for a quick ride today! Already ordered a center stand and new tires (since the ones on there are original to the bike)
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #34333
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post

Its a 1998 Nighthawk 750, only 6600 miles. Been sitting for almost two years, but fresh gas and a charged battery and she runs great! Lived most of its life in Ketchikan on the island, hence the low mileage. True to form, I of course rode her home instead of borrowing a truck as the weather finally got about freezing the last few days and all of the main roads were clear. Only time I really noticed how heavy of a bike she is was coming back in to my neighborhood where the streets are still a 4" thick sheet of ice, so I had to walk it in the last hundred yards or so.

Either way, it was great to get out and go for a quick ride today! Already ordered a center stand and new tires (since the ones on there are original to the bike)
I guy I work with has one of those the same color. His has 70K on it and he has only replaced consumables. It has had no repairs to speak of.

Enjoy it!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #34334
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-4TyfBOdOc
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:19 AM   #34335
bogboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Finally got out for a nice 150 mile ride yesterday with my new 4.7 IMS tank. It was nice not stopping for fuel for a change. 10 miles from the house at a stop light I smelled gas. I looked down and gas was pissing all over the place. I shut it down immediately pulled it over and cursed my self. It didn't leak before the new tank so I new I did something . I took it apart and sure enough the fuel line popped off. I must have not seated it right or didn't lock it on proper. I hope it doesn't happen again. Anyone else ever see this?
bogboy is offline   Reply With Quote