Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #34351
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>" I would like to put on a 13/46 combo and a chain with a master link."

If you're going to change sprockets, I'd go 14x50.
If you want to gear down for the woods you can always swap the countershaft sprocket for 13 tooth.

Chain is 112 links for that combo.

Rocky Mtn ATV has chain, ditto Motorcycle Superstore.
I usually use DID 520VT Gold X-Ring chain, it usually comes with a master link.
From my research I believe that you will need 114 links for 14/50. I am planning on going 14/51 when I change sprockets.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #34352
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post

First observations: I need a real back tire, I need a fuel tank.
I think that you will soon find that you need a real front tire even more.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #34353
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
+1 I used the stock rear for 3800 miles before taking it off, got me through a lot of miles on sand and rock. The front is an entirely different story. I'd consider the front dangerous anytime there are ruts (even little ones), sand, mud...
Old 03-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #34354
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
+1 I used the stock rear for 3800 miles before taking it off, got me through a lot of miles on sand and rock. The front is an entirely different story. I'd consider the front dangerous anytime there are ruts (even little ones), sand, mud...
+2

Mine had 2,000 miles when i bought it last summer. Changed the OEM Trailwing front to MT-21 right away. Since then I wore out the rear, and put on a new T-63 & a new Bridgestone HD tube on the rear on today (1st day of the 2013 season for me). Rather have the rear lose traction than the front.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #34355
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
Quote:
From my research I believe that you will need 114 links for 14/50. I am planning on going 14/51 when I change sprockets.
Correct, I run 14/50 and have a 114 link.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #34356
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADWrider View Post
It finally got above 40 deg here so I got out for about 3 hours. Explored all the lake roads, rode thru a few washouts and even got on the beach of Lake Michigan for a bit. Found lots of sloppy gravel, mud, sand, wet grass and snow/ice. It was my first real ride on the WR and it was a good one. Really like the Shinko 244s, good traction everywhere. Got to put my Sidi rain boots to the test too. They are great! My feet were warm and dry the whole time, and I was riding through wet slop the whole time. I'm really liking this bike so far

Nice looking bike.. great tires!
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #34357
1Down-5Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I used my Yamy to go ice fishing into a remote lake , what a blast!

1Down-5Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #34358
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,429
Love it! That's awesome.
AdvRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #34359
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
Less than 48 hours, it went from squeaky clean to filthy but it was so much fun!

First observations: I need a real back tire, I need a fuel tank.

Other than that, I'm starting to like this machine.
I just installed a Pirelli Scorpion Pro F/R on my new WRR. I like these tires a lot, but I imagine that they'll wear pretty quick on pavement. I had D606's on my last bike; the rear was the best 50/50 tire I've tried, but IMHO the front wasn't that impressive.

matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #34360
T-horny
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb First ride impressions.

My first mile was the bikes 2,259-2260 around town, top speed 35ish (mph). This thing has to be shifted a lot. These mirrors need to be adjusted.
Next 5 miles- 55ish top speed cross wind, this thing is all over the place, can't see anything besides my jacket in the mirrors, not excited.
Next 60 ish miles on the back roads (all paved) speeds from 25-75ish, this thing is great in the turns, in the straights, on the downhill, and on the uphill once I learned to stop shifting so much and let it rev.
The last few miles my butt was sore from the Seat concepts cover that came on the bike, I'm taking the po's word that it's a big improvement over the stocker.
I had gotten a few cold body parts, 1 layer of cotton socks in my old moto-x boots is comfy but not warm, 2 layers is warm but not comfy so I took off 1 layer after about 25 minutes. Temp had dropped to 39f by the time I had gotten home so cold parts wasn't a surprise.

Overall impression- with the way it is set up the only thing I don't like is the mirrors location. Anyone try bending ( purposely) the arms to lay them further outboard? Other than that, it performed as well as I had hoped when I had forked over the cash to supplement my stable. I am pleased. Still hoping the delivery trucks show up tomorrow with my dirt parts. Thanks for the welcome and have a good day.

T-horny screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 08:29 PM Reason: And I want a tach.
T-horny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #34361
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-horny View Post
My first mile was the bikes 2,259-2260 around town, top speed 35ish (mph). This thing has to be shifted a lot. These mirrors need to be adjusted.
Next 5 miles- 55ish top speed cross wind, this thing is all over the place, can't see anything besides my jacket in the mirrors, not excited.
Next 60 ish miles on the back roads (all paved) speeds from 25-75ish, this thing is great in the turns, in the straights, on the downhill, and on the uphill once I learned to stop shifting so much and let it rev.
The last few miles my butt was sore from the Seat concepts cover that came on the bike, I'm taking the po's word that it's a big improvement over the stocker.
I had gotten a few cold body parts, 1 layer of cotton socks in my old moto-x boots is comfy but not warm, 2 layers is warm but not comfy so I took off 1 layer after about 25 minutes. Temp had dropped to 39f by the time I had gotten home so cold parts wasn't a surprise.

Overall impression- with the way it is set up the only thing I don't like is the mirrors location. Anyone try bending ( purposely) the arms to lay them further outboard? Other than that, it performed as well as I had hoped when I had forked over the cash to supplement my stable. I am pleased. Still hoping the delivery trucks show up tomorrow with my dirt parts. Thanks for the welcome and have a good day.
Get a set of Double Take Mirrors. You will be glad you did. They are a bit spendy but the best mirror I have owned.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #34362
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Get a set of Double Take Mirrors. You will be glad you did. They are a bit spendy but the best mirror I have owned.
Yep, Double Takes are great mirrors. They crash well, and they're almost infinitely adjustable.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #34363
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,682
AND sold by and Inmate

AND Dakar tested
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #34364
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
+1. I think I have the longest running stock front ever. I've got just over 9000 miles on the bike and the original front is still on there. I have ridden through some surprisingly rough terrain with it on so far, but I have laid the bike out on slick stuff a couple times because of lack of front traction. To my defense I bought the bike less than 1,000 miles ago.

I plan on replacing it any time now, probably with a D606 unless there is another front that everyone thinks is better. The rear got a brand new D605 on it before I bought it. I don't know how I feel about it, but I will probably just replace the front and wait until the 605 is wore down some before putting something more aggressive on.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #34365
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
D606 front...

I've been running the D606 front and MT43 DOT trials tire on the rear for well over a year now. The Dunlop works great for me on the WR-R, that is until it begins to cup from wear. The last one I put on I tried turning around to get more mileage from it, but since the tire has a directional tread pattern I've found that it handles poorly running backwards to the direction arrow, particularly on roads with loose gravel.

I've bought a Pirelli MT21 front to replace it with. I've run these in the past and they can be flipped halfway through their tread life so I expect to be able to get two rear tires to one front and still have the bike handle decently.

YRMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
+1. I think I have the longest running stock front ever. I've got just over 9000 miles on the bike and the original front is still on there. I have ridden through some surprisingly rough terrain with it on so far, but I have laid the bike out on slick stuff a couple times because of lack of front traction. To my defense I bought the bike less than 1,000 miles ago.

I plan on replacing it any time now, probably with a D606 unless there is another front that everyone thinks is better. The rear got a brand new D605 on it before I bought it. I don't know how I feel about it, but I will probably just replace the front and wait until the 605 is wore down some before putting something more aggressive on.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote