Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #331
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
I highly doubt the maintenance thing since the wr250r uses essentially street bike/car maintenance cycles, XR's are rock solid bikes but they still are dirt bikes and at the matter they are some 15+ years old tech wise by now arent they?

Plus an XR400 puts out 30hp or so and guys are dynoing 26 stock and over 33hp with exhaust/tuning mods on the WR250R already its a much better bike than most people give it credit for. I have seen very few people who actually have one complain about it and those who have modded theres seem very happy
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #332
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Bull
dude you have to uncork that thing immediately! I mean that things probably so choked up that you get get like 15 more HP if you do ure uncorking properly. oh and you should a got an xr650 or 400, ther'yre faster and maintenance is probably even less than that yami.
the guy just got done complaining about weight and you recommend a big red pig? That he would have to kick start?
motoman250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #333
GordMounce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Gargoyle - have you weighed your bike in its minimalist form?
I'm very curious what it tips the scales at with the signals and fender removed, but also with the addition of a skid plate and pipe. I think that's how I would have one set up, so I'd love to know the real-world weight.

Cheers,
Gord
GordMounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #334
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMounce
Gargoyle - have you weighed your bike in its minimalist form?
I'm very curious what it tips the scales at with the signals and fender removed, but also with the addition of a skid plate and pipe. I think that's how I would have one set up, so I'd love to know the real-world weight.
Gord, I haven't weighted it. Would love to see what all my puts and takes have amounted to. Will post here if I do. Ross
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #335
wide open
in second gear

Oddometer: 347
Carrying mo gas / tank bags?

This new WR is really catching my eye, too.

The only real down side to me is that these new FI bikes with fuel pumps inside the tanks are unlikely to have any larger aftermarket tank solutions any time soon. Has anyone figured out a good solution for carrying extra gas on this bike yet?

I went to a dealer and looked at the WR-R. It didn't look like tank panniers with extra gas on the tank sides would work very easily because there's not much solid side area ahead of where your legs have to fit while sitting. Yes? No?
I wonder if the rear sub-frame would support Kolpin tanks and such mounted to a rear rack?

Or what about strapping some tank panniers with fuel cans / bottles in them on the outside of a set of Dirt Bagz? That would make extra width and put some weight kind of far outboard when gas is carried, but it might work.

I'm thinking of how one could ride this bike across Nevada on the TAT - a range of around 225 miles would be wise.
Ideas?

Also, what sort of tank bag solutions are youse coming up with for that flat surface and unusual fuel cap?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or photos on these things.
wide open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #336
GordMounce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Stop me if I'm wrong, but in a lot of ways, doesn't having FI and a pump in the tank give you more options? What I'm thinking is that the pump attaches to a plate that is bolted in and sealed. Aftermarket manufacturers can replicate this so WR owners could use the stock pump. That's some additional costs involved in design and manufacturing, but I wouldn't think it'd be too bad.

Where I see the advantage is that a fuel pump allows you to have tank that incorporates the shrouds as part of the fuel tank. These typically extend quite low, making them impractical for carbed bikes because they need the gravity drainage. But any aftermarket company could build a winged tank of 3.5 or so gallons quite easily. I hear RV Aqualine is working on one already, and perhaps others like Clarke, IMS and Acerbis are too.

As for luggage - it's great that the WR uses a steel subframe. There's got to be some good capacity for light luggage and maybe a one-gallon gas can back there.

I rode the WR250X at a local dealer on Saturday. (They sold out of their Rs). I was really impressed. It was better at 100km/h than the two KLRs I've owned, and it's obviously better off-road. I hope to be adding one of these for next year.

BTW - my dealer said he's had two customers crack the rad in crashes. Sounds like it needs some better fall protection!
GordMounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #337
AdvRasta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen
I have seen very few people who actually have one complain about it and those who have modded theirs seem very happy
I have complaint! I messed up in the dirt the other day and bent my bars! any recommendations on a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiUly
Yeah, back behind the speedway is fun, off 8th street near the pit bbq would probably be fun on the wr-

You can also ride along the canal, just past krome on us41.... I still want a wr damnit.
...assuming you mean the homestead speedway, that's where I bent the bars. I ride by there on my way to work (Nuc power plant). The other places you mentioned i'm not familiar with. about the "ridding along the canal" part... apparently its not legal and I got stopped by the wildlife patrol guys. there's a possibility the future of my bike is in jeapordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiUly
Friggin dealers around here, where did you get yours?
yeah, I checked with every dealer around here and no one had it, and some didn't know about it. I got mine on sale at www.bsy.com up in Cocoa. Really good guys. I got the only one they had at the time and don't know if they got more. If you can set up a purchase, I can truck it down for you( I'm up there twice a month).

Picture of mine with makeup on...
Attached Images

AdvRasta screwed with this post 07-16-2008 at 02:01 PM
AdvRasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #338
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Quite a few people have gone over to Renthal bars, I'm going to wait until I bend or break the stockers before doing mine as then the wife can't ask me why Im spending the money :)

Theres a PDF file with a list of current mods and such compiled over on Thumpertalk its a great resource.

We are still waiting on someone to come out with a radiator shroud :(

Im sure we will see some aftermarket tanks in the future, the only issue might be is if they technically are supposed to be metal "sealed" tanks. The big BMWs and such have had FI for a while right? thats the biggest thing I am missing for this thing right now is being able to hold more fuel.

I ordered the dirtbagz tho and might put a small fuel can or two in the panniers for a long ride.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #339
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Congratulations and post some pics when you can.

Here is the latest shot of mine.

It's missing something.........

My finger prints I still look forward to us riding together.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #340
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRasta

...assuming you mean the homestead speedway, that's where I bent the bars. I ride by there on my way to work (Nuc power plant). The other places you mentioned i'm not familiar with. about the "ridding along the canal" part... apparently its not legal and I got stopped by the wildlife patrol guys. there's a possibility the future of my bike is in jeapordy.

yeah, I checked with every dealer around here and no one had it, and some didn't know about it. I got mine on sale at www.bsy.com up in Cocoa. Really good guys. I got the only one they had at the time and don't know if they got more. If you can set up a purchase, I can truck it down for you( I'm up there twice a month).

Picture of mine with makeup on...
You got stopped along the canal west of krome running parallel to us41??
Threatening to take your bike?

Thanks for the trucking offer, got a used dirtbike so wrr is on back burner but not out of mind at all.

Saw one at motoport months back, couple days later it was gone. They sold 2, had 2 on order pre sold, all for export, but weren't ordering more because, "no one is interested in that bike."
Cutler Ridge should have known what it was since I explained it to them months ago AND they tend to adverise having one on autrader online. Go figure.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #341
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
It's missing something.........

My finger prints I still look forward to us riding together.
You going to the Thrill & Chill Turkey Run?
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #342
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,214
I spoke to Aqualine today and they say they expect the WR250R tank to be ready in about 12 weeks. FYI.

Has anyone put a steering damper on one of these yet?
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #343
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

What size tank are they working on do you know any details?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #344
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,284
anybody know where you can get a 12T countershaft sprocket for it?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #345
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...light=sprocket

looks like a WR250F front sprocket fits

or "I replaced my front sprocket with one from sidewindersprockets.com its ti-moly so it will probably outlast my bike. Went down 1t I think it suits the bike better."