Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #34711
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
The light looks wicked... your license plate on the other hand has seen better days!!
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #34712
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I like the looks of the DRC HC2 stand, but $85 is a lot of money to me.

I have an ATV jack that cost less, and has a much larger platform, and doesn't wobble at all.

I guess the advantage of the small unit is you can take it with you (truck, trailer, etc.)?
Yeah, I wasn't terribly interested in spending $85 on a stand so I bought the el cheapo stand, discovered that I was risking re-injuring my back to use it, and ended up with two stands now . I have to be very careful of re-rupturing my disc, that cost a hell of a lot more than $85 when I did it last year, not to mention losing a month out of my life. Fook, that hurt! Anyway, I looked at the hydraulic ATV lift thing too and liked it but it was very big and heavy. I'm already challenged for space in my garage, so I REALLY like how small, compact, sturdy, and easy to use this stand is.

Finally got done with chores and family duties last night at about 5:30, so took a short 60 mile loop through the Virginia country-side and ended up paralleling the Blue Ridge Parkway above Buena Vista (MM45 on the BRP). Tried to get artistic with a sunset motion shot, damn near crashed, and it's even blurry:

Note to self - if you must try this again, do it on a paved road . It got pretty dark on the way home and I discovered that my headlight needs to be aimed. I have no idea what it was shining on, but it wasn't the road in front of me. It was still a beautiful evening.

I'm really enjoying this bike, but wish I knew about more rugged roads around here. It's great on gravel roads, but so is my GS. I want some rough two-track or would REALLY like some good single-track! Gotta find time to search...

BTW, I've done two mileage tests on the bike since I got it and am averaging 70 MPG and that's mixed high-RPM street (60 - 70 mph) and gravel roads cruising. I've got the 3.1 gallon IMS tank so I feel pretty comfy at ~200 miles on a tank. I think I'd better be rolling up to the pump at that time, but that's not bad on a 250 dual sport.

Doug
Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #34713
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
It got pretty dark on the way home and I discovered that my headlight needs to be aimed. I have no idea what it was shining on, but it wasn't the road in front of me. It was still a beautiful evening.
In my part of the world it's getting dark enough to need light on the way home now. I took the dirt at dusk last week and discovered my light was basically only use for spotting koalas! I can only assume the PO has incredible night vision or never went out after dark in his four years ownership.

When I tried to adjust it nothing happened, if it happens to you checkthe headlight surround is located in part #14 on this diagram. Thanks to whomever offered this suggestion somewhere in this thread as it was the problem I had:

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #34714
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 147
So, what exactly was the problem with part #14? missing? out of alignment?? It is hard to figure out just by looking at the parts diagram.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #34715
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
So I have been working on a project new tail light. I wanted something that was clean and functional. I have tried the drc edge, clean yes, functional, no. They are dim at best and have a short lifespan if you do anything other then dry pavement with them. I have done a hack and butcher job of the stock tail light but they don't last well after you loop them out???? So I ordered up a ktm exc light and got out the metal tools, with some sawing, some grinding and some torching and bending this is what I came up with.
Love it, nice work.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #34716
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
So, what exactly was the problem with part #14? missing? out of alignment?? It is hard to figure out just by looking at the parts diagram.
Good point ... i'll explain

14 is a rubber grommet and the prong it sits around needs to locate in a notch in the plastic headlight cowl. If it is not located you can adjust the screws (#15) as much as you like but nothing will happen.

To get the cowl off simply undo #19 on each side.

If you find the adjusters aren't working - be careful not to screw out too far or the tabs on the back will drop out and you will curse - then it takes 2 mins to check and see if the light is located correctly.

Reeksy screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 01:33 AM
Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #34717
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
  • Skid plate
  • Hand guards
  • Fuel tank (4.7)
  • Front sprocket cover & case guard
And I'm just getting started . . . I already have a big bore kit, new bar & bar mount, rear sprocket, engine/FI computer, air filter, slip-on, tires, rack, panniers, and other items in the shopping carts . . . and this is already after spending $1200 on rider gear . . . I think it would have been cheaper to take up crack or something . . . so I wonder, does the spending have a terminus?

J/K, I know when I'm out there and I think "Damn, this is awesome!" that it's worth whatever it takes.

The wife doesn't have quite the same perspective as I do - yet - but I think if she and I are stopped at the top of a beautiful mountain and she gets off of her Honda CRF250, then she'll be hooked also.

She's just not WR material, and that's not a negative for her or the WR.

Ride safe, ride often, enjoy it.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #34718
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
So I have been working on a project new tail light. I wanted something that was clean and functional. I have tried the drc edge, clean yes, functional, no. They are dim at best and have a short lifespan if you do anything other then dry pavement with them. I have done a hack and butcher job of the stock tail light but they don't last well after you loop them out???? So I ordered up a ktm exc light and got out the metal tools, with some sawing, some grinding and some torching and bending this is what I came up with.
Also put a set of white LEDs on the bottom of the light to shine onto the plate to keep things all legal like.

And the finished product.

Next is to rework that hideous bar on the saddle bag racks.
Try turning the bar upside down...
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #34719
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post

Doug
Nice shot and scenery
AdvRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #34720
Yaozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-horny View Post
12 1/2 inches from the midline center of the foot to the midline center of the bolt. About 13 1/4" from left lateral side of the foot to the top left lateral side of the stand.
Thank you. Someone bumped my bike and bent the kickstand. Then they left the scene.

Trying to find a suitable replacement.
Yaozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #34721
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
And I'm just getting started . . . I already have a big bore kit, new bar & bar mount, rear sprocket, engine/FI computer, air filter, slip-on, tires, rack, panniers, and other items in the shopping carts . . . and this is already after spending $1200 on rider gear . . . I think it would have been cheaper to take up crack or something . . . so I wonder, does the spending have a terminus?
Yah. I think it's when you get rid of it and buy the KTM you're trying to turn it into.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #34722
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
If she's tall enough the WRR will be fine. If not the XT250 is a good choice. It is a much better bike than the XT225 or the DR200. My wife has owned all three through the years so I'm familiar with all of them. BTW the DR200 is the most gutless bike she had ever owned, a her old DR125 seemed to have more power. Nice bike other than that.
well I am 6 even and shes shorter than I am so maybe not. Would lowering it with a link help? I believe she is 5'8''.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #34723
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,867
Fork axle pinch bolts...

Just a FYI for you WR owners...

When I had a flat on the front Saturday I had no problems at all loosening the 22 mm axle nut with the box-end wrench supplied in the tool kit, but when I went to loosen the four 10 mm axle pinch bolts, which I'd carefully torqued to the recommended 23 Nm, the cheap open-end wrench in the tool kit bent like it was made of taffy. If my buddy hadn't brought along a pair of vice grips I couldn't have gotten them off.

Today I went down to the local Fastenal store and bought stainless steel hex screws (M8 x 40mm) to replace them and added the appropriate allen wrench to my tool kit. These in stainless were around 90Ę apiece.
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #34724
More CowBell
gotahave moreCowbell

Oddometer: 208
WR250R, How tuff is the motor?

Ok, I have had a 08 WR250R for a few weeks now. I have had a lot of bikes in the past. I knew going into this that it didnít have much power. I have 13/45 gearing. The speed-O is way off, like indeacated 80mph is 68mph on the GPS. Is this the norm? The bike has just over 6000 miles on it, probaly more like 5000 or so. So my big Qustion is, can I ride this bike all day at almost full trottle without blowing it up. And how long can I do this till it needs a rebuild? The motor and pipe is all stock. I donít want to spend the money on a pipe and programmer for just a little more power. It dosent seem to me to be worth the money. Tell me what you think.
More CowBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #34725
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by More CowBell View Post
Ok, I have had a 08 WR250R for a few weeks now. I have had a lot of bikes in the past. I knew going into this that it didnít have much power. I have 13/45 gearing. The speed-O is way off, like indeacated 80mph is 68mph on the GPS. Is this the norm? The bike has just over 6000 miles on it, probaly more like 5000 or so. So my big Qustion is, can I ride this bike all day at almost full trottle without blowing it up. And how long can I do this till it needs a rebuild? The motor and pipe is all stock. I donít want to spend the money on a pipe and programmer for just a little more power. It dosent seem to me to be worth the money. Tell me what you think.
First off... please loose the black typeface. It's a bitch to read what you're writing.

About the motor's longevity... I can only speak for mine, which is almost constantly wrung out on the street when I'm riding. It's at 22K miles now and never used a drop of oil or given me any problems whatsoever.

Mine has had the AIS and EXUP stuff removed, FMF pipe, fuel mixture richened via the onboard computer, air box opened up and K&N air filter. I change oil and filter every 3K miles. I'm running 13/47 gearing, but it's effectively about stock with the larger diameter MT43 DOT trials on the back. I regularly run at 70-75 for an hour or more on the slab when I need to make time.

YRMV.
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote