ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #35251
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore
 
Sewerat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Brooksdale, ON
Oddometer: 1,356
Yes the valve will stay open. Mine was removed when I got the bike, fmf blew apart and was too loud so stock went back on. I have put a small tack wld on the valve just in case but the spring holds it in the open position.
__________________
2009 WR250R "Da Mini Bike"
1999 Buell X1
2008 Husky TC510

I ain't fully crazy, just crazy enough!
Sewerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #35252
leftystrat62
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Not needed to change fork oil. Remove fork, remove top cap, turn upside down, drain & refill. I think the forks are 48mm
Have you done yours yet? I watched the Rocky Mountain ATV's videos on changing fork sealshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0dLM_IoIOQ&list=FLQhV95i5-Hmi3fttrWqaE4g&index=37

Although my seals aren't leaking,I thought it seems like I needed to do the same process for changing the oil?? If you have done it the other way that sure would make life a lot easier.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #35253
what broke now
Petroleum Brother
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: seattle
Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Have you done yours yet? I watched the Rocky Mountain ATV's videos on changing fork sealshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0dLM_IoIOQ&list=FLQhV95i5-Hmi3fttrWqaE4g&index=37

Although my seals aren't leaking,I thought it seems like I needed to do the same process for changing the oil?? If you have done it the other way that sure would make life a lot easier.

Yeah, what Tom said, except the forks are 46mm not 48.
The oil pours out the top after the cap is removed. The twitchy part is you have to remove the spring to properly measure the oil level once it is renewed, then replace the spring and walk the damper rod up between the coils. Do-able but tiresome.

If you did three sets of forks one after the other, the last one would take half the time as the fisrt.
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #35254
Advental
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 14
Came home with a 09 WR250R with 1600 miles. Paid $4000 for it. Looking forward to get some protections before I take her off road.
Advental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #35255
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advental View Post
Came home with a 09 WR250R with 1600 miles. Paid $4000 for it. Looking forward to get some protections before I take her off road.
Welcome to the club! ;)
__________________
don't do that...but if you do FILM IT!
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W ISDE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR290R Supermoto, 1995 Ninja 250R
My goal in life is to be as good as a person as my dog already thinks I am.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #35256
johnlt
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Green Valley, AZ
Oddometer: 592
yes, a spring holds it open as a default.
__________________
Johnlt
2009 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2000 Suzuki DR200
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #35257
GSBS
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
So what is this gearing effect you speak of here? If you left the stock gearing what would be the effect then?
If a rear tires has a larger circumference than stock, the effect is like taller gearing, because the bike travels a little further on each revolution of the tire. On mine, it seems that the 13/47 combination with the MT43 is about the same as the stock 13/43 gearing with a standard 120/80-18 tire. A D606 rear, which is a little larger than stock (120/90-18), is somewhere in-between.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #35258
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 4,029
Yes have changed oil many times in the past in the forks & finally settled on 17 oz synthetic ATF in each leg. Have also done seals once. PVC pipe of the right diameter cut in half makes a good seal driver.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #35259
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Red Sand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta area
Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advental View Post
Came home with a 09 WR250R with 1600 miles. Paid $4000 for it. Looking forward to get some protections before I take her off road.
Congrats!

I just purchased a new set of boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, knee protectors, pressure suit (upper body armor), riding pants, and camo thong.

Don't skimp on gear that's either not going to fit well or perform poorly in the weather you'll be riding in. My budget for this stuff was "moderate" but I still forked out $1200 and I don't regret it.





__________________

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2014 Triumph Scrambler ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I used to remove the rear pegs . . . now I keep them on just in case I find a gorgeous woman with no STD's who needs a ride . . . like that's ever gonna happen
Red Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #35260
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
If a rear tires has a larger circumference than stock, the effect is like taller gearing, because the bike travels a little further on each revolution of the tire. On mine, it seems that the 13/47 combination with the MT43 is about the same as the stock 13/43 gearing with a standard 120/80-18 tire. A D606 rear, which is a little larger than stock (120/90-18), is somewhere in-between.
Wouldn't taller gearing be a good thing? Yesterday I rode 500 miles, and often I had to gear down to maintain speed on the freeway over mountain passes. Would simply going to the MT43 help? I'm not being a troll here, just trying to understand.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #35261
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,846
Taller gearing is; faster, higher speed, less RPM, less power, more downshifting on hills, lower numerical final ratio,(like 3.37 to 1 is taller than 4.11 to 1), from your description I believe you want just the opposite. Lower gears, shorter gears etc...... Get the picture now?
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #35262
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Taller gearing is; faster, higher speed, less RPM, less power, more downshifting on hills, lower numerical final ratio,(like 3.37 to 1 is taller than 4.11 to 1), from your description I believe you want just the opposite. Lower gears, shorter gears etc...... Get the picture now?
Yes and yes. Now I just have to figure out what to do, tire-wise & gearing. I'm pretty set on the MT43 rear, but don't know what to do on the front. I'm not too hard on tires, when riding on dirt I ride slow and cautiously and I weigh 150 pounds. The stock rear performed pretty well for me last week, but the front felt like it was sliding out too easily in sand. Taking the above and adding it to the fact that a shortish tour for me might be 1,500 miles with much asphalt - what would you guys do?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #35263
jkstehn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Redmond, WA
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Yes and yes. Now I just have to figure out what to do, tire-wise & gearing. I'm pretty set on the MT43 rear, but don't know what to do on the front. I'm not too hard on tires, when riding on dirt I ride slow and cautiously and I weigh 150 pounds. The stock rear performed pretty well for me last week, but the front felt like it was sliding out too easily in sand. Taking the above and adding it to the fact that a shortish tour for me might be 1,500 miles with much asphalt - what would you guys do?
Think about the MT43 front. I have had it on for about 2500 miles and have been quite happy. Holds fine off road in SoCal and is much much better on the road than the Metzler Unicross that I had on the front. 15-17 front 12 rear on and off road with ultra heavy duty tubes and lightweight rear rim locks.
__________________
Jon
WR 250 R

jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #35264
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstehn View Post
Think about the MT43 front. I have had it on for about 2500 miles and have been quite happy. Holds fine off road in SoCal and is much much better on the road than the Metzler Unicross that I had on the front. 15-17 front 12 rear on and off road with ultra heavy duty tubes and lightweight rear rim locks.
We probably ride in some very similar conditions then. Did you change out your gears/chain?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #35265
jkstehn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Redmond, WA
Oddometer: 114
Running 14/50 with a 112 link x-ring chain. Using the Sandman case saver and sprocket cover. Rear chain guide and shield just got with the 50 rear. For day to day on the street I like the 14 up front.

I have had 13/50 as well. Rode with that combo for the LA to Vegas ride and then back and then a couple more months cause I was too lazy to change it. 1800 miles-ish. 1st is a little low with the 13, but in sand, sand and more sand second and third are just right.

Both set ups had held 70 for hours on the freeway. 13/50 with more buzziness.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Jon
WR 250 R

jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015