Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #35266
jkstehn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Yes and yes. Now I just have to figure out what to do, tire-wise & gearing. I'm pretty set on the MT43 rear, but don't know what to do on the front. I'm not too hard on tires, when riding on dirt I ride slow and cautiously and I weigh 150 pounds. The stock rear performed pretty well for me last week, but the front felt like it was sliding out too easily in sand. Taking the above and adding it to the fact that a shortish tour for me might be 1,500 miles with much asphalt - what would you guys do?
Think about the MT43 front. I have had it on for about 2500 miles and have been quite happy. Holds fine off road in SoCal and is much much better on the road than the Metzler Unicross that I had on the front. 15-17 front 12 rear on and off road with ultra heavy duty tubes and lightweight rear rim locks.

jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #35267
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstehn View Post
Think about the MT43 front. I have had it on for about 2500 miles and have been quite happy. Holds fine off road in SoCal and is much much better on the road than the Metzler Unicross that I had on the front. 15-17 front 12 rear on and off road with ultra heavy duty tubes and lightweight rear rim locks.
We probably ride in some very similar conditions then. Did you change out your gears/chain?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #35268
jkstehn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Running 14/50 with a 112 link x-ring chain. Using the Sandman case saver and sprocket cover. Rear chain guide and shield just got with the 50 rear. For day to day on the street I like the 14 up front.

I have had 13/50 as well. Rode with that combo for the LA to Vegas ride and then back and then a couple more months cause I was too lazy to change it. 1800 miles-ish. 1st is a little low with the 13, but in sand, sand and more sand second and third are just right.

Both set ups had held 70 for hours on the freeway. 13/50 with more buzziness.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #35269
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
Congrats!

I just purchased ................. and camo thong.
Way too much information!!
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #35270
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstehn View Post
Running 14/50 with a 112 link x-ring chain. Using the Sandman case saver and sprocket cover. Rear chain guide and shield just got with the 50 rear. For day to day on the street I like the 14 up front.

I have had 13/50 as well. Rode with that combo for the LA to Vegas ride and then back and then a couple more months cause I was too lazy to change it. 1800 miles-ish. 1st is a little low with the 13, but in sand, sand and more sand second and third are just right.

Both set ups had held 70 for hours on the freeway. 13/50 with more buzziness.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Wow - thanks, this is a great post. I have the same case saver as well.

So my little tour is over and I had some thoughts about the dirt riding I wanted to share and ask for tips. I rode about 250 miles on dirt, and had to do practically all types of obstacles one would imagine out here: sand, very rocky dirt roads, water crossings (it is Spring :)), to some very technical (for me) slickrock on steepish hills both up and down. My sole dirt riding experience before this was the American Supercamp, which I highly recommend for newbs. I thought I did really well. For me on this trip, crashing wasn't an option and I'm glad I didn't. Really only came close once while riding on some loose Basalt around the craters in North Arizona, super slippery stuff. Yesterday, I just rode straight back from Flagstaff.

While riding, I often found that I liked lugging along in 3rd as there was so much less throttle jerkiness, I was always looking to get into 3rd gear. In more technical terrain I found that I was in 2nd the most, rarely going into 1st except to start. One issue I was having is that I had to make a real conscious effort to keep both my knees and elbows bent. If I didn't, sometimes when the front wheel dropped off something, I'd twist the throttle with often fun results :) IDK if I can do risers w/o having to deal with the throttle and clutch cables, I'm still thinking about the height.

All in all, this bike is better than me. When I would make a mistake on a line, rather that trying to get back on it, I just let the bike do its thing and it didn't let me down. Uphill with a 12" step was a butt-clencher for me, but the bike rolled over it like it was nothing. I had the bike fairly loaded down, 15 pounds of liquid and maybe another 50 pounds in camping, tools, and personal gear. It still felt nimble enough to get the job done, and I couldn't perceive anything wrong with the suspension setup.

Here's some PICS from the trip if you'd like to see them.

UtahFox screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 12:42 PM
Old 05-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #35271
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Not needed to change fork oil. Remove fork, remove top cap, turn upside down, drain & refill. I think the forks are 48mm
Per Yamaha specs, both WRR & WRX are 46mm forks.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #35272
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Per Yamaha specs, both WRR & WRX are 46mm forks.
That's why I said I ( think) they are 48
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #35273
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
** snip **

Here's some PICS from the trip if you'd like to see them.
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

question: did you consider a Giant Loop instead of the soft bags?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #35274
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

question: did you consider a Giant Loop instead of the soft bags?
Briefly. The main reason I went this way is I want the passenger seat freed up, not for a potential passenger but I want to be able to move around a lot more. Yesterday was a 500+ mile ride, I move around a lot. Also I have some hard cases that I think I can fit to these racks, and I plan on a lot of long distance touring - basically I fit the bags I already had from the Tiger.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #35275
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
The revised factory procedure has worked fine for me since day 1. Bike on the side stand, push up on the mid-point of the chain along the underside of the swingarm. Keep about a 30mm gap, in my case 1.5 fingers, between the chain and the swingarm when you are pushing up. Oddly enough, having checked Rē's chain personally both times I've been in her presence, our chain procedures lead to nearly identical tension. HF's method is obviously more precise and accurate, but the last thing I want to do before I ride to work or get rolling on my 5th or 15th day on the trail is spend an hour checking chain tension.
Is this what you're talking about?

With the machine on the side stand and pushing up on the chain, this setting seems rather tight . . . but . . . if that's what it's supposed to be, then okay.

THANK YOU!!!

. . . and please . . . no grief about the dirty chain . . . thank you . . .

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2014 Triumph Scrambler ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2013 Yamaha WR250R ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 1983 Yamaha XT250 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Red Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #35276
soupknotzee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
I'm running MT43 front and rear 12-13 PSI all the time including single track, desert, and 75MPH SoCal freeways. My only complaint is the 43 front does not like the rain grooves on the Freeway and it can be vague at times when pushing it at higher speeds off road. I plan to try a steering damper in the near future to see if it helps. I may also consider running a MT21 front but will continue with the MT43 rear as it absolutely rocks. AFWIW I am running standard tubes with slime and no rim locks. Gearing is 13/47 Primary Drive and works very nicely but think I may try 13/48 to make it perfect.

Quote:
Yes and yes. Now I just have to figure out what to do, tire-wise & gearing. I'm pretty set on the MT43 rear, but don't know what to do on the front. I'm not too hard on tires, when riding on dirt I ride slow and cautiously and I weigh 150 pounds. The stock rear performed pretty well for me last week, but the front felt like it was sliding out too easily in sand. Taking the above and adding it to the fact that a shortish tour for me might be 1,500 miles with much asphalt - what would you guys do?
soupknotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #35277
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
Is this what you're talking about?

With the machine on the side stand and pushing up on the chain, this setting seems rather tight . . . but . . . if that's what it's supposed to be, then okay.

THANK YOU!!!

. . . and please . . . no grief about the dirty chain . . . thank you . . .
What are you, a zombie? Your hand is pale and decomposed looking.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #35278
Bogus Jim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Gearing

Quote:
Now I just have to figure out what to do, tire-wise & gearing.
This is a good site for playing around with gearing and tire changes. Perhaps you already knew... just thought I'd mention it.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/
Bogus Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #35279
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Some non-WR content... took my new bike on a spring road trip around Alaska.

My quick 4 day spring ride...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883959

Hey Skierd, Glad to see you are still riding a lot. I have been off the thread for a couple of years - Busy with travel.

I figured that the only way to keep up with you was to add a support vehicle for my WR.

Put on about 30K miles combined in 2 years of travel around this great country. It was my retirement dream trip, and I'm happy I did it. I have lost about 8 good friends to cancer in the past 3 years, so I wanted to get her done before it's my turn.

Below was day one of the trip - raining, of course. I just love my Hi-Vis PLATEX gloves. I turn 70 this year, and hope to still be riding when they put me in the home or in the ground.

BluePill screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 06:20 PM
BluePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #35280
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,317
Good on 'ya, BluePill.

This Friday I looked out my office window and I saw an RV just like yours pulling a toyhauler.