Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #35326
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,669
I have ridden 2 WRs that had suspension rebuilds. In both cases the damping was very harsh. Probably good on a MX track, but too stiff for my style of off road riding, which is mid-paced single track.

Now if I rode like a girl, I might just spend the $$ on a rebuild.....

Old 05-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #35327
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
My wife asks me the same question when I release air.....
That's biology, not mechanical engineering . And here's some news - she releases air too, but probably not as enthusiastically. Women can be so sneaky.

I wish we would get some weather warm enough to make this fork bleeding thing an issue for my new-to-me WR! If I remember my physics classes properly, air (or any gas) tends to expand greatly when heated, and the action of the forks when riding over rough country can heat up the air in fork significantly and make that semi-trapped air expand. Fork seals are better at keeping the air and oil in than they are at keeping stuff out. I'm always amazed at the amount of crap in the oil (dirt, bug parts, water) when I've changed the fork oil in any of my bikes.

I am also continuing my search for routes/trails in central-western Virginia that might tax this bike to the point of needing to bleed the overheated air from the forks. I rode a trail near here last weekend that was outstanding, but it was short and with many water crossings so the forks never really got heated up.

Motion Pro makes cool stuff - I have a set of their combo bead breaker/tire irons that are 1/3 the weight and size of any other tools like this I've ever lugged with me cross-country.

I think I'll get a set of those bleeders to boost my rough-road karma, plus they look cool!

Doug
Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #35328
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Noob question - I looked at the fork bleeders on Rocky Mtn and also Motion Pro sites. I get why one might release some air on a hot day, or for transport, but does this released air replenish itself? These valves release air, but where does the air come from in the first place?
If you have zero air pressure in your forks with the bike on a 52 degree morning, then have the ambient air temperature rise to 68 degrees and warm the air in the forks accordingly, you will now have pressurized air due to it being heated.

The opposite occurs when things cool down.

Even just riding the bike and getting to oil and parts of the fork warm can increase the air pressure inside.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #35329
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
I have ridden 2 WRs that had suspension rebuilds. In both cases the damping was very harsh. Probably good on a MX track, but too stiff for my style of off road riding, which is mid-paced single track.
The thing is, you have the suspension guy modify the internal valving and springing for YOUR weight and how and where YOU plan on riding the bike.

It can be made anywhere from stiff and harsh-feeling over the sharp bumps (fast MX riding) to absorbing that stuff as well as can be expected (for-fun trail riding at a reduced pace).
If you specify slow and cushy, that should be what you get.

YZEtc screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 07:04 PM
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #35330
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
** snip **

FWIW, what some guys use their WRR's for, I could ride my 500 lbs street bike on.

I refer to my off tarmac riding as motorized hiking
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #35331
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 931
Fender eliminator?

Anyone happen to know if this WR250 fender eliminator will fit easily?

I expect I could make it fit, but I haven't removed the current mess to see what i'd mount to yet, so if anyone's experienced success it's always good to know

Seller provides useful comments like:
SOME BIKES MAY REQUIRE CUTTING
SOME BIKES MAY REQUIRE SPACERS
I HAVE THE MEASUREMENT ON THE PICTURE SO YOU CAN DESIDE HOW YOU WANT TO MOUNT IT.

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #35332
Torontorocko
Ordinary Average Guy

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz View Post
Anyone happen to know if this WR250 fender eliminator will fit easily?

I expect I could make it fit, but I haven't removed the current mess to see what i'd mount to yet, so if anyone's experienced success it's always good to know

Seller provides useful comments like:
SOME BIKES MAY REQUIRE CUTTING
SOME BIKES MAY REQUIRE SPACERS
I HAVE THE MEASUREMENT ON THE PICTURE SO YOU CAN DESIDE HOW YOU WANT TO MOUNT IT.
What do you plan on using for a tail light?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #35333
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontorocko View Post
What do you plan on using for a tail light?
Naively assumed I could use the original ... and i'm guessing you're saying I can't

EDIT: Oh, now I see North American WRR has a different tail to mine.

Reeksy screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 10:58 PM
Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #35334
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
The SCR, we could all learn something

The SCR (Slimy Crud Run... Google this name in full) is a very loosely organized ride starting near Madison WI (Pine Bluff) and ends in Leland WI (Google the full name). No route, no fee, no real organization. This May in Wisconsin the weather was perfect... It may have been the largest SCR ever? Of course no one knows the official attendance... (Again google the full name). This is the type/spirit of riding that captures all of motorcycle riding, and all such rides should have SCR attached to them (one last time, Google the full name and read the history).

And yes, that is a machete, hatchet, hedge trimmer and canoe paddle attached to my bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633

byron555 screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 09:37 PM
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #35335
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Scr

of course, I am from Wisconsin, and therefore, biased
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #35336
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
of course, I am from Wisconsin, and therefore, biased
Dude, you're ready for ANYTHING with that kit! I actually have a little folding saw in my kit all the time for those downed trees, but never actually thought of taking a hedge trimmer, axe, or machete along... I'm still not clear on what the paddle is for other than a great place to display your allegiance to ADVrider! My WR doesn't float, I've tested it. How does that paddle feel in a cross-wind?

My wife is from Wisconsin, so I truly understand where you're coming from with all this.

Doug
Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #35337
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 331
Since everyoneís talking about suspension Iíll throw in my Ĺ cent into the mix. Iím no expert by any means just sharing my experience so feel free to flame at will.
Before I got the WR I had a KTM 400exc with the suspension done by WER for enduros and hare scrambles (Done by the previous owner), the WR suspension is still stock and even though I have screwed with the settings and adjusted the sag the difference is obvious. On rough trails with the KTM I could just power through and the suspension would soak up everything, the tires would stay planted and the bike was easier to control. With the WR I have to fight it more going through the same terrain, it wants to throw me around, bounces and doesnít feel as planted. The KTM was just easier to ride through the tough stuff and I could do it at a faster pace. Thatís probably why racers always get their suspension done for their riding style. I ride the WR on some of the same trails that I rode the KTM on, I just go slower and itís more of a work out. If you donít ride tough trails or race I see no reason to get the suspension done.
Will I get my suspension done? Eventually, but Iím in no hurry. I donít race and only ride the tough trails occasionally, when I do I just do it at a slower pace and burn more calories. Right now I need to burn more calories.
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #35338
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Racing scooter!

This ones for you MeefZah.........................................

http://topeka.craigslist.org/mcy/3776256198.html
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #35339
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
This ones for you MeefZah.........................................

http://topeka.craigslist.org/mcy/3776256198.html
I like the mods, they clearly add value and performance to the machine!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #35340
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Have almost 15,000 on my 08 WR, & no issues with swing arm running 14/48. Also have original fuel pump. Just lucky I guess. When in rough terrain you are standing & hence using almost all the travel. I think the stock shock spring is a little on the stiff side & experience no bottoming with that much sag. Also with less rebound damping the shock works through entire stroke when riding. Have bottomed out the forks on occasion.I have always felt the bike to be under sprung in the front & over sprung in the rear. Again depends on so many things. Not against shock revalve, but not cheap & no guaranteed major improvement
I am glad it is working for you and you are enjoying the bike. That is ultimately the goal. Thanks for the response.
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote