Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #35341
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimBenty View Post
Since everyoneís talking about suspension Iíll throw in my Ĺ cent into the mix. Iím no expert by any means just sharing my experience so feel free to flame at will.
Before I got the WR I had a KTM 400exc with the suspension done by WER for enduros and hare scrambles (Done by the previous owner), the WR suspension is still stock and even though I have screwed with the settings and adjusted the sag the difference is obvious. On rough trails with the KTM I could just power through and the suspension would soak up everything, the tires would stay planted and the bike was easier to control. With the WR I have to fight it more going through the same terrain, it wants to throw me around, bounces and doesnít feel as planted. The KTM was just easier to ride through the tough stuff and I could do it at a faster pace. Thatís probably why racers always get their suspension done for their riding style. I ride the WR on some of the same trails that I rode the KTM on, I just go slower and itís more of a work out. If you donít ride tough trails or race I see no reason to get the suspension done.
Will I get my suspension done? Eventually, but Iím in no hurry. I donít race and only ride the tough trails occasionally, when I do I just do it at a slower pace and burn more calories. Right now I need to burn more calories.
I'm curious, why did you give up the KTM400EXC and go to the WR250R?

About 5 years ago I was in the market for a 450 enduro and had settled on the factory street-legal version of the KTM450EXC after a lot of research (considered the Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, KTM, Husky, Husaberg, etc. in a ~450cc engine). However, I lived in Wyoming at the time and had endless off-road opportunities to ride such a beast in. I decided not to buy the 450 just before moving to Virginia 'cuz I wasn't sure there was enough off-roading out here to make it worth having such a bike. After ~5 years without a dirt bike (can't recommend this ) I got interested again and decided on a WR250R because I just haven't found enough really rough stuff around here that I thought the full-on enduro 450+ class was something I'd ride enough to make it worth the extra cost and maintenance to own. I love the WR, it's a fantastic little bike and I haven't found it's limits yet, but it ain't no 450-class enduro regardless how hard some folks keep trying to make it. Before I bought the WR I looked again at KTMs, Hondas, the WR450F, and Husqvarnas and decided I just didn't need that much off-road capability for how and where I ride now.

So, I would be interested to know why you went from the bigger, more powerful, better suspended KTM to the very capable but smaller and more dual-sport oriented WR? Were you aware of the difference that you've described? Are you happy with the switch?

Thanks!

Doug
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #35342
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Hey guys im going out to colorado the begining of next week. and im riding my wr250r out there ill be in the boulder longmont area. any one know of any cool places i could play in the surounding area. i have to go and see a family member for a day but i decided to make a trip of it and go play around for a few days befor i have to go see family.
any ideas would be very welcome oh and im taking some of my camping gear with me as well.
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #35343
flyaway
chwelve

Oddometer: 67
You'll want to check out lefthand ohv area on weekdays; it's only 10 minutes from Boulder. Switzerland trail is mild mannered fun, google it. Plenty of riding around Ned and Rollinsville too. Just take off up any of the canyon roads and turn onto dirt roads when you see them, you can explore for awhile around here. Hit me up if you wanna go for a ride while you're in the area.
flyaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #35344
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post

About 5 years ago I was in the market for a 450 enduro and had settled on the factory street-legal version of the KTM450EXC after a lot of research (considered the Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, KTM, Husky, Husaberg, etc. in a ~450cc engine). However, I lived in Wyoming at the time and had endless off-road opportunities to ride such a beast in. I decided not to buy the 450 just before moving to Virginia 'cuz I wasn't sure there was enough off-roading out here to make it worth having such a bike. After ~5 years without a dirt bike (can't recommend this ) I got interested again and decided on a WR250R because I just haven't found enough really rough stuff around here that I thought the full-on enduro 450+ class was something I'd ride enough to make it worth the extra cost and maintenance to own. I love the WR, it's a fantastic little bike and I haven't found it's limits yet, but it ain't no 450-class enduro regardless how hard some folks keep trying to make it. Before I bought the WR I looked again at KTMs, Hondas, the WR450F, and Husqvarnas and decided I just didn't need that much off-road capability for how and where I ride now.

So, I would be interested to know why you went from the bigger, more powerful, better suspended KTM to the very capable but smaller and more dual-sport oriented WR? Were you aware of the difference that you've described? Are you happy with the switch?

Thanks!

Doug
I know you didn't ask me but I also had a 2011 450 EXC before I switched to the WRR. There are a few reasons why you would pick the WRR -

1) Price - I got my '08 WR for $3k with 5k miles on it with all the common engine mods, ready to ride. The KTM was $8k (new - not really a valid comparison), plus the JD Jet Kit, plus desmog, plus this and that...YMMV but where I'm located, it's hard to get ready-to-ride 450 enduros for less than $5k.
2) Maintenance - my KTM had an oil transfer issue that the factory could not resolve after sending the engine back twice. Even if you don't get a lemon, it's still harder to take care of than a WR. Valve clearance checks, rebuilds, shredded rear tires... I would love to have more time to maintain my motorcycle but I'm in town for a week at a time and it's a real bummer when you have you spend that week trying to figure out why all the oil is getting pumped from the gearbox to the engine (or vice versa). I would rather be riding. Turn the key, press the button and go. Oil/air filter as often as you remember but not "religiously after every ride".
3) Easiness to ride for a noob like me - the KTM had a throttle like a light-switch and this was fun but it tuckered you out after a while. The WR is much easier to handle in very tight stuff and less prone to overheating (the people at Yamaha had the good grace to fit it with a radiator fan from the factory - not so on the 2011 EXCs). It also *feels* lighter in turns somehow, probably because of a smaller engine, less rotating mass or lower CoG or something. It's smoother and more stable on the street - smaller displacement.

The KTM had better brakes (I miss those) suspension (saved my butt a few times) and the power was phenomenal but unless you're really pushing it - racing and stuff - you'll probably have just as good a time on the WR.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #35345
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post

There are a several reasons I went with a WRR. I'm like you it's more how and where I ride. I went with the WRR because I was doing more dualsport riding than single track and wanted a low maintenance reliable bike.

The KTM was a 2002 so it was getting old. I would have loved to get a new KTM 450exc but I don't have that kind of money. (I have three kids, one in college and another starting this fall)
It had a dualsport kit that I always had to screw with to keep working.
The big one - My son was turning 16 and he needed a street legal bike to go on rides with me. So I gave him the KTM. Unfortunately a couple of months after I gave it to him the top end in the motor went. He now has a WRR also.

Things I miss about the KTM
The power was great! The 400 was like it had an electric motor it would pull literally from idle and the more you pulled the throttle back, the more power it made. No hit just smooth roll on power. I rarely went over 3/4 throttle, didn't need to, actually half throttle made plenty of power for me. I just don't have the talent to use all of the power it made, but it sure was fun.
The suspension was great and made riding tough trails almost easy.

I really like the WRR both of ours have all of the performance upgrades except for internal motor mods and make plenty of power for me but of course my son would like more. The suspension is the only thing left that I would upgrade but that may never happen. If I was planning on riding more single track I would probably just get a used 200 2-stroke KTM for that.
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #35346
T Bread
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Just picked it up today, first bike.

Couldn't find any of the Honda's within a reasonable distance & the 2013 WR250R was really pricey. I was getting ready to go down to a dealership for a 2012 KLX250S that was left over, but I decided to check out CL one more time.

Found a left over 2012 WR250R for only a few hundred more than the KLX, went down, got to take it for a ride and was sold.

Picked it up today, couldn't be happier.

T Bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #35347
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
welcome to the club
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #35348
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
A while ago someone mentioned a place to get cheap replacement plastics but now I can't find it... anyone know?
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #35349
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Axle block , x/w conversion questions

I hope I am not repeating common knowledge here, I've spent some time searching to find the answer to no avail.

I have an X, and just purchased some W wheels. The X wheels will be getting a 45t, the W's will be getting a 47t. ( I am currently using the stock 13/42, and 1st is just too tall. 6th actually feels about right. I'm coming from an XT225 which has a REALLY wide ratio.)

1.-I am curious how much slack the axle blocks take up(the site mentions 13mm, but what does this equate to in terms of links?) Will reversing them leave you with a similar amount of chain slack between the two different sprockets (45 and 47t)? Does anybody have experience with this?

2.- I know some people talked about the X fork guards rubbing R wheels, is this the case the other way around, and do the X guards need to be modified to run R wheels. I will be switching out the X brake setup for an R setup when switching wheels as well.

Thanks everybody!
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #35350
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Looking for a set of stock blinkers and a stock rear fender for a WR250R. Anybody in the Pac NW (or anyplace else willing to ship) have a set that they are looking to get rid of?

Rainshadow screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 04:19 PM
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #35351
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Hey guys,

I'm taking my bike to a motox track on saturday for a beginner course. I know the WRR is not a motox bike and I don't plan on getting huge air with it but I was wondering how should I set the suspension for moderate jumps? I haven't messed around with it at all as this is my first bike and I don't really know how the suspension should feel off road.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #35352
mmjsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bread View Post
Just picked it up today, first bike.

Couldn't find any of the Honda's within a reasonable distance & the 2013 WR250R was really pricey. I was getting ready to go down to a dealership for a 2012 KLX250S that was left over, but I decided to check out CL one more time.

Found a left over 2012 WR250R for only a few hundred more than the KLX, went down, got to take it for a ride and was sold.

Picked it up today, couldn't be happier.
How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #35353
T Bread
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjsport View Post
How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
6147 after delivery charge, tax title etc.
T Bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #35354
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
Looking for a set of stock blinkers and a stock rear fender for a WR250R. Anybody in the Pac NW (or anyplace else willing to ship) have a set that they are looking to get rid of?
There's one on the WR forum.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #35355
jrknecht
WR250X

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
I have a full stock rear fender setup with the rear blinkers from an 08 250X that should be the same that I am looking to get rid of.

JR
jrknecht is offline   Reply With Quote