Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #35446
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Please forgive the cross-forum post (this is also in Equipment):

Has anyone found a creative way of mounting a bicycle pump on a WRR/X? I bought a Blackburn Airstik dual-action pump to allow me to air-up when back on pavement, and to fix a flat. It's lighter and simpler than the electric pump I usually carry (& I haven't wired up a 12V socket on the WWR yet).

It looks like a quality piece, and came with a decent-looking mounting bracket, designed to go behind a bicycle water bottle basket.

I don't use hard luggage, and I don't see any obvious places on the WR250R that won't expose the pump to mud, rocks, and damage.

I thought about the handlebar brace, and the front fender, not wild about either. The rear rack could work, not the cleanest solution, and awfully exposed.

Photos and / or solutions would be welcome.

I have one of these under the seat, with my axle wrenches & tire irons. I've got the kind that has a co2 connection, so i can fill with it, or pump. In about 20k miles of lots of different riding, i've never used it. Of course, the next time i ride, i'll have 2 blowouts.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #35447
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,860
I always put my pump in my tank bag, or tail bag if I was using it. Those tool tubes are fairly fragile and hang too low and too far out for my tastes. The pumps are durable enough. I also keep a CO2 kit, they're nice to have too and don't take up a bunch of room. Now that I think about it, I haven't had a flat on the trail or road since I started carrying the CO2 kit, so I've never had to use it!
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #35448
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
I have one of these under the seat, with my axle wrenches & tire irons. I've got the kind that has a co2 connection, so i can fill with it, or pump. In about 20k miles of lots of different riding, i've never used it. Of course, the next time i ride, i'll have 2 blowouts.
Under the seat? Really? I never noticed that much room; I'll have to have another look.

Re: all the tool tube suggestions - the only obvious spot is where the OEM toolkit lives. As tube makes the OA size that much larger, but would protect it. I had a tool tube on my V-Strom, and on my trailer, but the WRR doesn't have luggage racks or many spots that see good candidates.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #35449
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
I always put my pump in my tank bag, or tail bag if I was using it. Those tool tubes are fairly fragile and hang too low and too far out for my tastes. The pumps are durable enough. I also keep a CO2 kit, they're nice to have too and don't take up a bunch of room. Now that I think about it, I haven't had a flat on the trail or road since I started carrying the CO2 kit, so I've never had to use it!
It won't fit in my Wolfman tank bag except on a diaginal, which would pretty much prevent putting much else in there, and I don't use a tail bag.

I do run Wolfman E12 saddlebags, but the pump would be vulnerable there in a tip over, and like the tank bag, space is at a premium. I could carry it in a knapsack, but I prefer to wear only the Camelback, and would really like to find an out of the way (and out of harm's way) spot to mount it on the bike.

If nothing better presents itself, I may try to secure it behind the Wolfman Enduro Tool bag on the headlight cowl, though it will stick out on either side.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #35450
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,955
Check it out:

http://rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm#tooltube

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #35451
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Front fender for me:
(straps/hooks zip tied down).

2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #35452
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
Front fender for me: (straps/hooks zip tied down).
Me too. I keep a Topeak mini-morph in the front fender bag along with a tube (wrapped in a shop towel), three tire levers and set of rim protectors.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #35453
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
Dual sport = Good for nothing?
New Model? WR250XR.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #35454
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I do run Wolfman E12 saddlebags, but the pump would be vulnerable there in a tip over, and like the tank bag, space is at a premium. I could carry it in a knapsack, but I prefer to wear only the Camelback, and would really like to find an out of the way (and out of harm's way) spot to mount it on the bike.
]
I also often put it and the rest of my tools in the saddle bags, left side. Many a tip over, never any damage. I think you're thinking too hard/worrying too much personally...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #35455
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Pics from today's ride.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #35456
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Rode up north to the ADV Mayday Melee on Friday from Santa Cruz to
up by Guerneville on the Russian River at Rio Nido north of San Francisco.

!70+ miles each way including navigating through SF and over the Golden Gate Bridge.

One of these things is not like the others....

scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #35457
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Repeatedly restarting bike - advice?

Sometimes when I'm playing in sand/get stuck on a hill, I'll end up stalling/restarting the bike repeatedly without really going anywhere. Is there a limit to how many times I should do this before getting worried about draining the battery - 10/20/30 times???

On a related note, how long do you think it takes to fully recharge the battery - riding at say 40-60mph?
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #35458
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by StG View Post
Sometimes when I'm playing in sand/get stuck on a hill, I'll end up stalling/restarting the bike repeatedly without really going anywhere. Is there a limit to how many times I should do this before getting worried about draining the battery - 10/20/30 times???

On a related note, how long do you think it takes to fully recharge the battery - riding at say 40-60mph?
I would get worried when I heard the starter slow down - you would probably have only a few more starts left in it before needing a good recharge.

The WR has a high output alternator, and you should get a good recharge in an hour of cruising. Under the circumstances you mention, I would consider a battery tender a good investment. Just add a pigtail to the bike, and plug in when you get home to ensure a full charge and decent battery life.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #35459
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 863
My 5yo battery went flat on a ride last week but later in the ride i was able to start several times on a slippy hill ... Luckily. YMMV.

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #35460
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
When you hit the gnarly stuff, reach under and unplug your headlight, or better yet, wire in a switch. The headlight is a substantial drain and for me was the difference between turning around near the top of a hill to rollstart the bike or still having enough juice to use the magic button. Just remember plug it back in!
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote