Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #35536
Revvy
Okayest Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
On the top of the tank, there are two 'rails' that you screw to the tank so that a notch in your plastics slide over them. On mine the rail was too tight to the tank, and by putting a washer under the rail on the forward screw, I was able to slide my plastics all the way on.

P.S. Getting my hair cut so will be gone for a while, lemme know and I'll take some pics when I get back.
Please do get a pic. I'd really like to make this fit better. I'll look into adding a spacer tonight when I get home.
Revvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #35537
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Please do get a pic. I'd really like to make this fit better. I'll look into adding a spacer tonight when I get home.
Look for 2 brass rectangular fittings on the top of the tank, mine had these and its where the rail that came with the tank goes.

Cya in a couple hours.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #35538
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
On the top of the tank, there are two 'rails' that you screw to the tank so that a notch in your plastics slide over them. On mine the rail was too tight to the tank, and by putting a washer under the rail on the forward screw, I was able to slide my plastics all the way on.

P.S. Getting my hair cut so will be gone for a while, lemme know and I'll take some pics when I get back.
Ah, right. Mine fit like crap too. I had to bend them to get the plastics on. I've had IMS tanks on a couple of bikes and the fit was terrible on both. It's too bad there aren't many alternatives. I haven't read too many problems with the Safari tank, but it's a lot more expensive and I don't like the idea of the secondary fuel pump... Oh well.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #35539
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,978
...I've never had one fall off.
What me worry?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #35540
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If you still need them, this is the rail I've been referring to...

...and a closeup that you can just see the washer that stands the rail just high enough to slip the plastic on...

Old 05-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #35541
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Type "wr250r front sprocket removal" into Google and the first link that comes up is a YouTube video showing how to remove and replace the front sprocket. Watch that and go and do likewise.
So I'm having a bitch of a time getting that nut off. You're supposed to bend up those tabs, and I'm not even getting close. In fact, I think I'm just mashing it in even more. Any advice? Should I just forget about the tabs and go nuts?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #35542
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
I posted this on the wr forum, but I'm looking for more photos concerning my fit issue with the IMS 3 gallon tank. Does everyone else's look like mine in this regard? My front black panel and side blue panel on the clutch side have a rather large gap that seems to me will be a huge mud collector. If your tank fits better than this, can you with post or pm me a picture so I can send it to IMS?

Just for clarification: I have made sure that the side clips are in place and slotted into the panel; I've made sure the front and rear brackets are in the correct position; I've made sure that the rubber pad under the tank is sitting correctly; I have not put the heat tape on the new tank; the panels align perfectly with the stock tank.

Mine....................

KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #35543
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
So I'm having a bitch of a time getting that nut off. You're supposed to bend up those tabs, and I'm not even getting close. In fact, I think I'm just mashing it in even more. Any advice? Should I just forget about the tabs and go nuts?
I haven't removed my WR's front sprocket yet, but those peened nuts are used on lots of import car axles, and for those, I just pry the peened part out as best I can and then undo the nut. I think I read that you took the chain off. You'll never get the nut off without the chain and rear wheel in place. You'll need to put the bike in neutral and have a helper stand on the rear brake while you break the nut loose with a breaker bar or impact gun.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #35544
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I haven't removed my WR's front sprocket yet, but those peened nuts are used on lots of import car axles, and for those, I just pry the peened part out as best I can and then undo the nut. I think I read that you took the chain off. You'll never get the nut off without the chain and rear wheel in place. You'll need to put the bike in neutral and have a helper stand on the rear brake while you break the nut loose with a breaker bar or impact gun.
The chain is on, think I need to get a breaker bar then.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #35545
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,391
Quote:
Don't try to unbend it, just put a 27mm socket on there and unscrew it, the tab will pop out under the pressure of being unscrewed.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #35546
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Don't try to unbend it, just put a 27mm socket on there and unscrew it, the tab will pop out under the pressure of being unscrewed.
Cool, thanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #35547
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
New Mt43's, tubes, chain and sprockets

Hey guys and gals,

Long time reader, finally settled into a wr250r from the sport bike world. Have ATv background and love the dirt.

Decided to go with the mt43's front and back. Already have rim locks and going to order heavy tubs (maybe ultra heavy, haven't decided that yet). To help with gearing going to a 13 49 set up and buying a 14 also. 14 for the long hauls and 13 for the mountains here in Colorado. 13 49 with the mt43s should be ~13 47 with stock tires and then the 14 front will put me at 13 43 stock.... At least this is the idea, please correct me if I am wrong

Question I have is will a 112 link chain work with this set up? Any problems anyone see with this plan?

Thanks!
rhollamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #35548
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Cool, thanks.
A screwdriver - just bend the tab back. It's the easiest thing you've never done

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #35549
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,198
You might be too long with a 112? I running 14/50 & 13/50 with 112. Gonna try 47&48/13 soon
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #35550
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
You might be too long with a 112? I running 14/50 & 13/50 with 112. Gonna try 47&48/13 soon
Where is your axle adjustment block sitting, towards the end or in the middle? Reason I ask is because I know the mt43 is a fat tire and shooting to have it set farther back to the rear of the adjustment for more clearance on the mud guard. Thanks
rhollamby is offline   Reply With Quote