User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #35686
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,983
Laugh Small Accidentismo

...that's some of the saddest ADVideo I've ever seen...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #35687
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,457
Speaking of sticky levers......................

Many moons ago, before they had little booties to cover the clutch adjuster and cable at the handlebars, I lubed the cable regularly. With the nice, tight fitting boot on the WR, I didn't think it was necessary..................

WRONG!!!

It started sticking, and failed within 10 miles.

You have now been officially warned.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #35688
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
Got my skid plate installed. next up is 4.5 gal ims tank and some warp9 dirt wheels.

That is pure sex. I love the black WRX frame with the blue chain and the crash bungs thru the skid plate!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #35689
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
Speaking of sticky levers......................

Many moons ago, before they had little booties to cover the clutch adjuster and cable at the handlebars, I lubed the cable regularly. With the nice, tight fitting boot on the WR, I didn't think it was necessary..................

WRONG!!!

It started sticking, and failed within 10 miles.

You have now been officially warned.
I thought most newer bikes had self-lubricating cables with (silicone?) liners that can be harmed by spraying lube into them, in the old-fashioned way. I have a little tool for exposing the cable and a can of cable lube, but don't use it much lately.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #35690
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
pure sex well i dont know about that only if it was dripping wet then it be pure sex
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #35691
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I thought most newer bikes had self-lubricating cables with (silicone?) liners that can be harmed by spraying lube into them, in the old-fashioned way. I have a little tool for exposing the cable and a can of cable lube, but don't use it much lately.
I'm fortunate to live very close to an auto cable manufacturer. He'll make me any type of cable I like and indeed he told me to never lube his cables as they don't need it.

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #35692
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Although the cable and sheath don't need to be lubed on modern cables, the pivot point at the lever/cable connection does. I could be wrong, (I was once before) but when cables fail on the end like BluePill's did, it is caused from the cable not pivoting smoothly in the lever hole, thus bending the cable back and forth. When cables do this they rarely give warning or work hard. They just fatigue and break. A drop of oil or chain lube on the pivot every time you lube the chain will prevent this from happening. IMHO
Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #35693
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
I got a D606 rear in the mail today to replace the stock Trailwing. Is there any reason I can't swap this out myself? I see this as a dry run for fixing a flat.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #35694
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I got a D606 rear in the mail today to replace the stock Trailwing. Is there any reason I can't swap this out myself? I see this as a dry run for fixing a flat.
Easier to learn how to do it when you're at home and aren't rushed vs being on the road/trail. The first half dozen or so times will take a bit but once you develop a technique it is fast and easy to change a tire.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #35695
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Although the cable and sheath don't need to be lubed on modern cables, the pivot point at the lever/cable connection does. I could be wrong, (I was once before) but when cables fail on the end like BluePill's did, it is caused from the cable not pivoting smoothly in the lever hole, thus bending the cable back and forth. When cables do this they rarely give warning or work hard. They just fatigue and break. A drop of oil or chain lube on the pivot every time you lube the chain will prevent this from happening. IMHO

IIRC Yamaha specify lithium grease on the pivot point (and pegs, sidestand, etc)

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #35696
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
That is pure sex. I love the black WRX frame with the blue chain and the crash bungs thru the skid plate!
Thanks for the complement! Those holes were a pain in the ass to cut! hahaha, but yes I wanted to keep the frame sliders as well as have a skid plate.
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #35697
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I'm about to do this for the first time. Lots of good videos on youtube to check out on changing the tire/tube. Not to bad with the right spoons.

Does anyone have pointers on balancing the tire without a machine? I have rim locks, and going on mt-43's. with the locks I know I will need weight. Most all of the advice/videos show using static balancer stands (which I don't have).

A bunch of ppl mention to set the heavy spot of the tire to a specific place. I don't see where this place is marked on the tire. tips?

Thanks
Ryan
rhollamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #35698
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhollamby View Post
I'm about to do this for the first time. Lots of good videos on youtube to check out on changing the tire/tube. Not to bad with the right spoons.

Does anyone have pointers on balancing the tire without a machine? I have rim locks, and going on mt-43's. with the locks I know I will need weight. Most all of the advice/videos show using static balancer stands (which I don't have).

A bunch of ppl mention to set the heavy spot of the tire to a specific place. I don't see where this place is marked on the tire. tips?

Thanks
Ryan
I recently put on a 606 for the first time and it was a real PITA. Not sure if it was the tire or that bike (KTM 450 EXC). Never had problems putting other tires (Kenda/Shinko) on the WR. Warming up the tire in the sun or next to some heat sure helps. Keep the opposite bead in the groove is a must. Good skill to have.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #35699
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
I recently put on a 606 for the first time and it was a real PITA. Not sure if it was the tire or that bike (KTM 450 EXC). Never had problems putting other tires (Kenda/Shinko) on the WR. Warming up the tire in the sun or next to some heat sure helps. Keep the opposite bead in the groove is a must. Good skill to have.
My experience with the D606 is that it is one of the tougher tires to mount but once it is on it is one of the better DOT tires for Dual Sport riding especially if you are spending most of the time off road.

Check out some of the YouTube videos and take your time. Tire lube or soapy water is a plus and will make mounting that tire so much easier. If you get to the point that you think you are going to bend a spoon or rim take a step back, have a beer, and reassess what you have going on. It is likely you don't have that first bead in the center of the tire or possibly a little too much air in the tube.

One thing I learned was the amount of lube is not as important as where you put the lube. When you are seating that second bead the lube really needs to be on the back side of the bead where it rubs against the rim. I see a lot of people lubing the outside of the bead but when you are mounting the tire that is not the part that is rubbing against the rim. Took me a few beers to figure that one out!
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #35700
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhollamby View Post

Thanks
Ryan
No point in balancing an off road oriented tire, IMO.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote