Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #36226
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post

Why Driven Racing over OEM? Driven is a nice looking piece; is there an improvement in performance?

Does knurled aluminum chew up boot toes, compared to the rubber tip on the OEM?

Thank you.
An actual improvement or a perceived improvement? I think it shifts better now! Plus as noted it is cheaper... around $30-35.

Actually there is something to be said for an aluminum shifter over the stock soft steel one - the aluminum doesn't flex as much (even though the steel flex seems imperceptible) and the shifts do seem to be more crisp.

The knurling does not chew up boots.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #36227
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
aftermarket vs stock shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I just ordered a driven shifter too. It was more than what I wanted to pay, but still cheaper than the $45(RMATV) for the stock shifter.

12 3D7-18110-00-00 SHIFT PEDAL ASSY $48.99 $45.07 Usually ships in 5-7 business days

I have seen mixed reviews on here about the Driven one, but my stock one bent, so I have nothing to lose.
From what I have heard about shifters... The stock ones are made of soft ductile metal and are easily bent back. They bend easy and save the shift shaft from damage. Aftermarket, stronger shifter, but do not bend back well, and can sometimes cause damage to the shift shaft in a crash.

I'd stick with stock, but that is me...
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #36228
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
from what i have heard about shifters... The stock ones are made of soft ductile metal and are easily bent back. They bend easy and save the shift shaft from damage. Aftermarket, stronger shifter, but do not bend back well, and can sometimes cause damage to the shift shaft in a crash.

I'd stick with stock, but that is me...
+1
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #36229
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Yep. Looks like retail is about $19 so I'd expect to pay that from a local place. I'd replace the bolts, too (not necessarily with the OEM bolts) since a lot of times they get bent a little in drops / crashes that damage the clutch perch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
I've broken that piece twice now Last time I ordered 2 to guarantee I won't break it again I also put folding mirrors on the bike.
Thanks for the help guys. Good to know. I will get this ordered ASAP.

Quote:
Subaru w/ trailer and WRR, ready for a trail ride. Was a good day, until I caught an unseen stump with my boot. While trying to limp through the single-track with a purple ankle, I found another stump with my shifter. Was able to gently bend it out with a tire iron so I could get out of 1st gear, but something doesn't feel right. Hope a new shifter will resolve?

SCORRA Midhurst Trailride
Nice! I tow my bike with my WRX too!

On a side note, here are two videos from my ride Friday. One is the nice fun riding without the wrecking. Second video is all the wrecks I caught on film from the day. I ripped my jeans clean off on the last one as you will see.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #36230
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,272
I will say that my stock one bent in such a way that it started damaging the engine case. Not much, just a slight rub mark, since it was bent in towards the engine. Not even sure how it got bent in, since I ride mostly sand and the pines( southern NJ)..and no fall should have bent it...but one of them seemingly did. I had just noticed that al of a sudden, upshifts were an issue.

Before I put the new one on, I am gonna fabricate a custom case guard, like some other guys have done. A hole in the case(stator side) due to a shifter issue would be a bad day.
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #36231
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,879
Quote:

Before I put the new one on, I am gonna fabricate a custom case guard, like some other guys have done. A hole in the case(stator side) due to a shifter issue would be a bad day.
My stock one actually punched a hole in the cover.

I was able to ride the bike home about 7 miles with the hole spooging out oil, and replaced the cover, gasket, and shifter. I keep meaning to make a case guard... especially since I know it can happen (but what are the odds of it happening twice? )

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #36232
Torontorocko
Ordinary Average Guy

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
On a side note, here are two videos from my ride Friday. One is the nice fun riding without the wrecking. Second video is all the wrecks I caught on film from the day. I ripped my jeans clean off on the last one as you will see.

I love that last one!
Whiskey throttle it into the tree. Good stuff! The bike was fine otherwise?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #36233
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
I've broken that piece twice now Last time I ordered 2 to guarantee I won't break it again I also put folding mirrors on the bike.
Which mirrors? I need to get some before I break something.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #36234
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
I will say that my stock one bent in such a way that it started damaging the engine case. Not much, just a slight rub mark, since it was bent in towards the engine. Not even sure how it got bent in, since I ride mostly sand and the pines( southern NJ)..and no fall should have bent it...but one of them seemingly did. I had just noticed that al of a sudden, upshifts were an issue.

Meef & Doug - a case guard seems like a no-brainer; I'm sure folks would buy them. Not an easy job for home-fab due to the shape. I had the Procycle ones on the DR650. I'm surprised nobody markets them for the WRR/X

Procycle told me last year they were planning to add WRR/X to their offerings, but nothing yet

My side cover is scored from the bent lever. I'll have a closer look when I get the bike washed and the lever off.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #36235
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:

Nice! I tow my bike with my WRX too!
Mine's just a plain old Impreza. Not as much fun as the WRX, but it was cheap.

Quote:

Second video is all the wrecks I caught on film from the day. I ripped my jeans clean off on the last one as you will see.
That 2nd one is great. Bike hanging in a tree, and jeans destroyed!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #36236
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Quote:
Meef & Doug - a case guard seems like a no-brainer; I'm sure folks would buy them. Not an easy job for home-fab due to the shape. I had the Procycle ones on the DR650. I'm surprised nobody markets them for the WRR/X

Procycle told me last year they were planning to add WRR/X to their offerings, but nothing yet

My side cover is scored from the bent lever. I'll have a closer look when I get the bike washed and the lever off.
I have made and sold parts in the past for the SV market. I got into making axle sliders, quick release seat and tank kits, and got into recovering seats for a bit. Ended up being a whole lotta work for little profit. Unless you are gonna invest a lot of money, and buy bulk made CNC stuff, just not worth it.

My axle and frame sliders, that I made. http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...gin/blog15.jpg

I do plan taking some shots of the template I make, to make mine up, and sharing that in the thread. Give people a little head start if they wanna make their own.

Quote:
Did someone say something about towing with the Suby WRX?? My street bike, not the WRR.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #36237
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontorocko View Post
I love that last one!
Whiskey throttle it into the tree. Good stuff! The bike was fine otherwise?
Yea I was amazed at how well the bike held up in those crashed. The rear turn signals popped out, but popped right back in. The worst damage was when I broke the mirror off nose diving into that puddle which I didn't get on film.

Quote:

That 2nd one is great. Bike hanging in a tree, and jeans destroyed!
Thanks!

And while we're posting Subaru tow pics...

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #36238
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Headlight

Hello fellow WR riders. I got hit with a rock in the headlight that broke the lens.

Just wondering if anyone out there went to an aftermarket headlight and might have a stock headlight they would be willing to sell.

Yamaha only sells is as an assembly and wants too much for it.

Thank you,

Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #36239
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

^^^^ good luck. As soon as I heard how expensive the stock headlight was, I promptly made a sub $5 lexan guard...its been on for years now, no issues.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #36240
camaroz1985
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Picked mine up on Friday night. Couldn't find anyone to go along, so I had to truck it home.

Changed the oil and hit Michaux yesterday for some dirt/gravel road.

I'm very impressed by the bike, its much better than I am. First time off pavement on two wheels so I don't have anything to compare it to and didn't push it, but I loved it. Good thing Michaux is only about 40 minutes from home. Bike is good on the highway getting there too. It really is a do everything kind of machine. Now doing commuting duties during the week.

A Seat Concepts seat is first on my list of things to change.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote