Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #36301
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Can anybody tell me the length of the stock sidestand? Now that I've got all of the lowering gear removed from my 2008 I need to put a chunk of 2x4 under the sidestand foot to keep the bike from listing hard to port. I think the previous owner must have cut a couple of inches out of it.

If anybody is looking for a shorter sidestand and has a stocker to swap I'd be happy to do so. If not I'll have a piece welded back in or I saw a new OEM sidestand for $38 online.
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #36302
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,454
Perhpas the fuel line got partially compressed or kinked on the reinstall causing not enough fuel delivery for full throttle and possibly a lean enough condition at speed to overheat...? The line then vibrated free into an open space and full flow from pump was restored. I have the 3.1 on mine. I once spun it around to set on the sub-frame rails like I do for my TDM fuel tank when servicing and it kinked the semi rigid fuel line pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
[warning: way too wordy. the tl;dr summary: replaced spark plug, added speedoDRD,
bike had major high rpm stutter about 10 miles later, but after stopping and turning back
seemed to run fine...any ideas???]

I've just about hit 10,000 miles on the WRR so thought I 'd do some service, and I'd recently
bought a speedoDRD because the 20% +/-high reading of the speedo/odometer were becoming
a pain.

Drained and removed the tank--used ramz's "levitating fuel tank" method to hold it up while
removing the electrical and fuel connectors--

Untitled

removed the coil/cap, and extracted the original spark plug. Yuck!

Untitled

All kinds of corrosion on the hex sided portion and the cap was full of red dust, rusty powder
of some sort. Cleaned the cap with contact cleaner, dried it out carefully, used a small hose
on the end of my shop vac to vacuum out the recessed hole in the cylinder head.

Gapped the new plug, torqued it, and put some dielectric grease in the cap before pushing it
down onto the plug.

The manual also says to "apply silicone hydrate to the sealing point of the ignition coil, and
install the ignition coil..." Have no idea what silicone hydrate is, couldn't find it via google either,
so I didn't do what ever it is you're supposed to do and just made sure the coil was pressed firmly
into the cylinder head surface.

Put everything back together, installed the speedoDRD and went for a little ride this morning...and
now for the reason for the "little freakout."

About 10 miles into the ride I come to a nice uphill sort of expressway section that goes from 35mph
to 55 mph, so I whacked the throttle and as it climbed into high rpms...splut roar splut roar roar splut...
kind of like how it feels when you're just about out of gas and the fuel pump isn't getting enough fuel.
I backed off the throttle and everything seemed fine. Rolled on hard again and same freaky hesitation
again. I've got about 3.6 gallons of gas in the 3.7 g capacity tank. Damn. Then the high temp warning
light came on! I slowed down, the light went off, and for the next few miles my mind was racing with
the possible causes, debating whether this was a real problem or not, finally decided to pull over and
check a few things.

I pulled the fuel tank cap and it didn't seem to be in any pressure (thinking it could be a venting issue),
even blew into the vent hose, seemed OK. Decided to head back rather finish the rest of the ride I'd
planned. First time the WRR had given my ANY reason not to just ride it.

On the way back I tried the whack the throttle game again, but couldn't get it to hesitate! I even took
the long way back via I-680 and it pulled right up to a GPS (and now speedo-corrected!!!) 70 mph with
no problems. I did take my earplugs out for the ride back because I thought I was hearing some odd
sounds, there does seem to be some different kind of fluttery noise as I whack the throttle, but that
could be part of the airbox flapper--everything there is still stock.

So, I'm thinking it could be

1. Some weird artifact of the speedoDRD.
nah, not very likely. Occam's razon and all that...

2. Something wrong with the cap/coil; maybe too overzealous with the dielectric grease, or cleaning,
or maybe a bad plug.
possible, I guess

3. Fuel pump issues, either an impending failure or simply the pump hadn't completely filled yet, or I
didn't get the vacuum line back correctly, or ???
I'm leaning towards this, but I'm still freaked out a bit by the fact that it went away. It is hot,
probably about 90F when I was riding and getting hotter by the minute so I wouldn't have expected a
fuel pump failure to go away in those conditions.

I do remember hearing an odd "squeal" from the pump when I first turned the key on after putting
everything back together...

Dang, I do get wordy, but if anyone has experienced and solved something like this I'd appreciate
hearing from you.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #36303
1Down-5Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
Can anybody tell me the length of the stock sidestand? .
I just screwed a plywood disc to my kickstand, now it leans properly and doesn't sink in mud or sand. My friend used a small hockey puck on his XT 350.

1Down-5Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #36304
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Make sure you put a shorter bolt in the right rear of the skidplate.
The length of the 'stock' bolt will contact the cases.
Did you find this bolt locally or did you order it? I am having a hard time finding one close to me
Old 06-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #36305
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
Can anybody tell me the length of the stock sidestand?
13-3/4" from center line of mounting bolt to tip of foot.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #36306
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
13-3/4" from center line of mounting bolt to tip of foot.
So it looks like I'm missing roughly 3" as mine is just a hair over 10 3/4". No wonder it still leans a lot with a chunk of 2x4 under the foot. Wish I had thought of that when I was ordering parts last, but at least it won't stop me from riding today.
Thanks for the intel!
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #36307
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
Did you find this bolt locally or did you order it? I am having a hard time finding one close to me
I just looked, that bolt is a good distance from the case. I guess if it worries you, just cut the bolt down a few mm.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #36308
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I just looked, that bolt is a good distance from the case. I guess if it worries you, just cut the bolt down a few mm.
Mine is definitely close. I'll cut it at some point
Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #36309
bhpaok
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Fuel Pump...

Hello, I am a Greek owner of a ''second hand'' YAMAHA WR250R 10/08 model with 29,000 km (about 18,000 miles) and I believe that the bike needs a new fuel pump... I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intank-3...4c3946&vxp=mtr and I am thinking to buy it.... What is your opinion?
bhpaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #36310
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpaok View Post
Hello, I am a Greek owner of a ''second hand'' YAMAHA WR250R 10/08 model with 29,000 km (about 18,000 miles) and I believe that the bike needs a new fuel pump... I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intank-3...4c3946&vxp=mtr and I am thinking to buy it.... What is your opinion?
Looks like some aftermarket "generic" pump. The stock pump comes as a unit with base, wiring connector, sensor, etc.

I would order the Yamaha original part instead of trying to cobble something together.

http://www.shspowersports.com/fiche_...008&fveh=18085

Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #36311
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
[warning: way too wordy. the tl;dr summary: replaced spark plug, added speedoDRD,
bike had major high rpm stutter about 10 miles later, but after stopping and turning back
seemed to run fine...any ideas???]
I know it isn't anything you even touched this time, but could just be a fluke it happened after all this work. If you have the FMF fuel programmer on your bike, I've seen several post of people with the FMF fuel programmer and the 5th setting needing to be higher? Some of those just showed up out of the blue and also didn't happen all the time? Just a suggestion in case it turns out not to be related at all to anything you just did. Although logically, it does make sense to probably be something you just did, but other than a pinched fuel line, I'm not sure.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #36312
bhpaok
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
Looks like some aftermarket "generic" pump. The stock pump comes as a unit with base, wiring connector, sensor, etc.

I would order the Yamaha original part instead of trying to cobble something together.

http://www.shspowersports.com/fiche_...008&fveh=18085

Greg
Thank you for the information.
Please go back to page 1106 and see the photos of the broken fuel pump and compare them with ''felco fuel pump and the installation kit''. I believe that ''felco fuel pump with the installation kit'' is the part that I need to repair yamaha fuel pump...
bhpaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #36313
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Any of you guys have this problem with your fmf programmer? :

When going down the highway at a fast clip (70+ mph, close to WOT) the bike will gradually lose power over the course of 3-5 seconds at which time it becomes a complete bog. Completely closing the throttle for moment corrects the problem and the bike cruises fine again. This issue didn't arise until I installed the programmer. I don't remember what settings I have it set at but I doubt its an issue with tuning.
jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #36314
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcc View Post
Any of you guys have this problem with your fmf programmer? :

When going down the highway at a fast clip (70+ mph, close to WOT) the bike will gradually lose power over the course of 3-5 seconds at which time it becomes a complete bog. Completely closing the throttle for moment corrects the problem and the bike cruises fine again. This issue didn't arise until I installed the programmer. I don't remember what settings I have it set at but I doubt its an issue with tuning.

Bump your fifth setting up to 6 or greater and it will fix this.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #36315
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpaok View Post
Thank you for the information.
Please go back to page 1106 and see the photos of the broken fuel pump and compare them with ''felco fuel pump and the installation kit''. I believe that ''felco fuel pump with the installation kit'' is the part that I need to repair yamaha fuel pump...
If you have good skill mechanically and are able to be creative if necessary, the Felco ebay pump or one from California Cycle Works may work for you. Both companies deal in quality goods.
I would confirm dimensions with them by email before purchase.
The Yamaha pump-pickup-regulator assembly was not designed to be taken apart, but it can be done if one is careful and patient.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote