Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #36376
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Pretty sure a WR250R is my next bike, but just starting to learn about them. Ideally, I'd like a clean, unmolested bike. Just never can tell what someone did once they start tweaking

With that in mind, there is a nice clean, low mileage 2008 WITH some mods. some of the mods I know about, some not so much. I don't really want to pay the sellers asking for a 5 yr. old bike, but it might be worth it, considering the low mileage AND the mods done.

I have not seen this bike yet, but the sellers seems very responsive and genuine. These bikes sure seem to hold their value!

Localish craigslist ad.

Thoughts on this bike?
Price seems a tad high, but it does have a lot of mods, and low miles. I just paid $3500 for my 2012 in December, but mine had no mods and almost 9,000 miles on it. It's all in what you want. You can find any year for about $3500 in good condition with some mods. You have to ask yourself if you think it is in good enough condition and has enough stuff that you want to buy for it that it's worth the extra $1000. If you could get him down to $4k, I think it'd be good.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #36377
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,893
Thanks guys. Maybe, I need to start a separate thread on this, since its probably been answered somewhere in the last million pages, but.....

Is there much of a difference between the various years? 08 just seems old to be asking so much, but maybe its more in the mileage/mods where the value lies?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #36378
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Looks nice but that's a grand+ over retail. Private party sale should be less. They do hold the price well but.... he should take less. Hell a brand '12 cost me only $1552 more than that last spring.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #36379
PatrickInVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Pretty sure a WR250R is my next bike, but just starting to learn about them. Ideally, I'd like a clean, unmolested bike. Just never can tell what someone did once they start tweaking

With that in mind, there is a nice clean, low mileage 2008 WITH some mods. some of the mods I know about, some not so much. I don't really want to pay the sellers asking for a 5 yr. old bike, but it might be worth it, considering the low mileage AND the mods done.

I have not seen this bike yet, but the sellers seems very responsive and genuine. These bikes sure seem to hold their value!

Localish craigslist ad.

Thoughts on this bike?
Offer him $3500 or less. Throw a skidplate on it and ride the snot out of it. The years are all the same except color.
PatrickInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #36380
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,893
Are there any noise/reliability issues with the mods on this bike?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #36381
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
tire pressure

Hey guys, heading out to run about 1,000 miles through Colorado and Moab. Have a mt43's on the front and rear wheel. What air pressure would you run on the pavement, with high heat of 100 degrees?

I normally run 12-13 lbs full time; dirt and pavement. Just not sure with 800 miles of hot pavement if i should up the pressure. I know increasing it much can kill the center of the tire.

Thoughts?

Thanks
rhollamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #36382
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:

Localish craigslist ad.

Thoughts on this bike?
Bike looks nice. The modifications all look good to me, if you'll be doing off-road. Gearing is good, and the new tires are good for dirt. It really needs a skidplate. I would ask whether the OEM exhaust is included, it likely is because it doesn't have much resale value.

Price seems high, though there are regional differences in bike prices (in Canada $4,500 would be a good price). If in person it's as clean as it looks, I'd probably offer $3,600, and be willing to go a few hundred higher.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #36383
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 439
Quote:

Localish craigslist ad.

Thoughts on this bike?
Mine is for sale if you want yo come down to Alabama to get it :)
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #36384
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhollamby View Post
Hey guys, heading out to run about 1,000 miles through Colorado and Moab. Have a mt43's on the front and rear wheel. What air pressure would you run on the pavement, with high heat of 100 degrees?

I normally run 12-13 lbs full time; dirt and pavement. Just not sure with 800 miles of hot pavement if i should up the pressure. I know increasing it much can kill the center of the tire.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Yeah, but running it too low will cause the center rib to chunk at least in my experience. 12psi is probably pushing it, 15psi is probably safer for the tire. This is why I don't run and don't recommend this tire for a traveling dual sport. Air down to 8psi off-road.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #36385
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
Quote:
Are there any noise/reliability issues with the mods on this bike?
I'd replace the K&N filter with an oiled foam filter asap if you plan to ride off-road.

The FMF exhaust is a lot louder than stock and will need to be repacked every couple thousand miles. It also really adds to the motor's top end and helps a lot on the highway, not so much on trails.

I think its priced somewhat high, but given the area thats appropriate. It looks clean and well taken care of at least. The sting of 'paying too much' only really hurts when you go to resell it, if you ever do.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #36386
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Yeah, but running it too low will cause the center rib to chunk at least in my experience. 12psi is probably pushing it, 15psi is probably safer for the tire. This is why I don't run and don't recommend this tire for a traveling dual sport. Air down to 8psi off-road.
Thanks for your input. Although I love the mt43 on the trails here in Colorado, amazing grip in sand soils and hard pack...certainly don't like the road manners much, corning is horrific and not a very long tread life overall. Will be switching to something more like a D606 or T63 on the next test of tires.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #36387
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Funny, most folks report terrific street longevity on the MT-43 with appropriate air pressure, even on 450-650 DS bikes; certainly better than the D606 and T63. I guess everybody has a different riding style and circumstances.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #36388
bluzharp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I'm running 16ish psi on MT43's and they are wearing well. I also like their road manners compared to knobbies. I ran 606's on my old DRZ for a long time. They weren't bad, but I feel more cofidence on the MT43's in almost all conditions.

Your experience may be different.
bluzharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #36389
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Funny, most folks report terrific street longevity on the MT-43 with appropriate air pressure, even on 450-650 DS bikes; certainly better than the D606 and T63. I guess everybody has a different riding style and circumstances.
I should qualify my above statements with this... I got 8,500 miles from the stock tires. My guess is the MT's will be 3-4k which IS great life still considering how excellent it does in the dirt.

Just out of curiosity what do you consider appropriate air pressure, I'm at 12-13 psi nearly full time (sometimes 10-11 for certain dirt rides)?

My road manners comment comes grooved pavement track problems (the mt grips so much it follows the grooves back and forth, guess I can't fault it for have too much traction but at 65mph it isn't ideal), and corning. Without a doubt the higher square profile can't corner as well as rounder profile tires. The outside nobbies on the front and rear are too soft when you lean it over far. I can corner at least 10 mph faster on my wifes xt225 with T63s vs my wr250 with mt 43s.

I'm going to increase the pressure some and test. I know these tires are very responsive to air pressure change.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #36390
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,723
Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Is the Baja one glass or plastic lens? I never got a reply answer from them on this.