Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #36391
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Thanks guys. Maybe, I need to start a separate thread on this, since its probably been answered somewhere in the last million pages, but.....

Is there much of a difference between the various years? 08 just seems old to be asking so much, but maybe its more in the mileage/mods where the value lies?
The 08' years had a silly rubber deal on the front sprocket that they promptly got rid of. There were also some grown pains with the fuel pump where they would seize during hot rides, and stop delivering fuel. The newer fuel pumps are interchangeable, but it's something to keep an eye on and you might be able to use it to lower the price some.

Otherwise, the price is pretty static, a lot like DRZ's and KLR's.

I wouldn't pay what the guy is asking for, but you're basically looking at a haggling buffer +summer premium.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #36392
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Thanks guys. Maybe, I need to start a separate thread on this, since its probably been answered somewhere in the last million pages, but.....

Is there much of a difference between the various years? 08 just seems old to be asking so much, but maybe its more in the mileage/mods where the value lies?
I think the price is too high. It is a sellers market though, and you need to take that into account.
Also I think you are in CO and the bike is on the east coast. By the time you pay for shipping, you could have bought a new one.

If you want a good deal, wait. The summer is almost over for you, and a better deal will come along. jmho
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #36393
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 270
Just for another reference point

Quote:

Just my 2-cents for another point of reference for you.

I just bought an '08 in May with only 900 miles on it. I think it was an outstanding deal at $2500., but, other than having the faulty fuel pump replaced, it is completely stock...not one single farkle. It was in showroom condition and had never been off the pavement, but it would cost me at least another $2k to get mine to the state of performance of that one.

The one you are looking at has at least $2000 in extras, plus the sweat equity. So, I don't think that $4500. would be a bad deal. It looks great and already has all the main things everybody wants done to it, including the programmer, exhaust bomb and new knobbies. Go for it.

draley screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 05:03 AM
draley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #36394
dnsjo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Are you using the search engine?

http://www.bikefinds.com/yamaha-wr250r-for-sale

The one in Virginia is a great deal. Just popped up yesterday.
dnsjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #36395
tonymarchman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Mine is for sale if you want yo come down to Alabama to get it :

And just where in Al. are you? Any details?
Tony in Tn
tonymarchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #36396
tonymarchman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Xathor wrote "Mine is for sale if you want yo come down to Alabama to get it" :

Any details?
Tony in Tn
tonymarchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #36397
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,206
I'm thinking I'm gonna need to locate a wrecked bike or possibly just a motor. Mine sounds rattely inside. And drain plug had a good amount of shwarf on it.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #36398
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by draley View Post

I just bought an '08 in May with only 900 miles on it. I think it was an outstanding deal at $2500., but, other than having the faulty fuel pump replaced, it is completely stock...not one single farkle. It was in showroom condition and had never been off the pavement, but it would cost me at least another $2k to get mine to the state of performance of that one.

The one you are looking at has at least $2000 in extras, plus the sweat equity. So, I don't think that $4500. would be a bad deal. It looks great and already has all the main things everybody wants done to it, including the programmer, exhaust bomb and new knobbies. Go for it.
Thanks for the great points and making this decision more difficult for me

Sounds like the exhaust is going to make the bike louder which isn't what I'm going for. I'm fine with it, but I come/go at odd hrs. of the day/night. I'm not one to choose to annoy my neighbors
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #36399
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,791
Quote:

Sounds like the exhaust is going to make the bike louder which isn't what I'm going for. I'm fine with it, but I come/go at odd hrs. of the day/night. I'm not one to choose to annoy my neighbors
Since it has little resale value, I wouldn't be surprised if the seller has the OEM exhaust. If he doesn't, you might raise that as an issue and bargain on account of it.

I prefer quiet myself, as do neighbors and landowners that allow access to trails across their land.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #36400
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by draley View Post

+1

I have more than that into mine, and I got a smoking deal on it used, with no modifications. If, and only if, the mods on that $4500 bike are ones you would want, then it's a good deal.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #36401
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
WRR's on Hurricane Pass

WRR's on Hurricane Pass, Near Silverton CO

Old 07-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #36402
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:

Alright, thanks for the noob questions. You guys are really helping.

Slowly working a deal on this bike.. $4K, and he'll remove the exhaust/header, and put the stock back on. I keep the exhaust/header for resale. Looks like I can run the programmer on a stock exhaust. Anybody running that? Any issues with that setup or should I also pull the programmer? I wasn't looking for a project. Am I opening a can of worms?

This bike, that is only about 40 miles away, is looking better and better.

Thanks for all the help.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #36403
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Just go buy it already. At $4k with the aftermarket exhaust to sell, that looks like a very reasonable deal, assuming in person it is as the photos suggest.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #36404
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 239
+1

or someone else may buy it out from underneath you but not me as i am really happy with mine. you wont regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Just go buy it already. At $4k with the aftermarket exhaust to sell, that looks like a very reasonable deal, assuming in person it is as the photos suggest.
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #36405
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

cjbiker's spatula case proctector

Got the cjbiker case protector on my WR250R - looks like cheap insurance, and a good idea. Paid $1 for the spatula at the dollar store, cut it out with a jig saw, then cleaned up the edges with a bench sander. Cleaned everything with isopropyl, and used a bed of red high temp Permatex silicone to adhere it.

I filed down the sharp edges from the case side of the shifter, and blue locktited it on. I suggest anyone who has not removed those, do so right away - that sucker was wicked sharp. 2 minutes with a file was all it took to make it smooth.

The stock shifter bends so easily, I'm sure I'll bend it again, but at least the malleability should lessen the chances of damage to internals.