Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #37381
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advental View Post
How much fuel additive do I add? I used both Lucus fuel treatment and Techron fuel treatment before on my car, but both of them treat almost full tank of gas for a car. I think Techron small bottle treat up to 7 gallons and Lucus is probably the same...

So if I add full bottle to 2 gallon tank of WRR, would that be too much? Or is there no such thing as too much treatment except for I will be wasting money?
Just so we're clear............. this is the stuff.

I have a little 1 oz bottle I pour it into to take with me. Full tank full bottle, half tank half bottle.

Cut and pasted from their web site........................................
Directions

Pour Lucas Fuel Treatment directly into fuel tank.

Recommended dosage is 2-3 ounces of Fuel Treatment per 10 gallons of fuel.

Exceeding the recommended dosage is not harmful to your vehicle.

KansasBob screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 10:05 AM
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #37382
bobzworld
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I agree. These bikes come with too much oil in the forks which doesn't allow full travel. Mine came with 95mm (fork oil level) in one fork and 100mm in the other. I put Amsoil light 5wt in at 120 mm from the top of the compressed fork (w/o springs) and both the length of travel and smoothness of travel improved greatly. Night and day, actually.

The stock yamaha 01 oil is a little too thick too for these forks (unless you live in hot climate).
just wondering how much do you weigh? Im 145lbs and im not using about 2 inches of the last part of travel. Havent jumped anything huge but i go through some rough stuff.

I found this in the service manual.

Fork spring free length 450.0 mm (17.72 in)
Limit 441.0 mm (17.36 in)
Installed length 439.2 mm (17.29 in)

can i get away with using the 441mm cut spring from racetech without them having to build me a 9mm spacer?

(they stated they were going to cut a 462mm .42kg/mm spring to 441mm to get .44kg/mm)
bobzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #37383
s3cr3tsqrrl
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Tool Question

Don't flame me, am new and tried searching with no luck. Just got a new 2012 WR250R, love it, basically a month of reading this thread and all the good things said about this bike sealed the deal for me so, thanks I guess ?!

My questions which I am certain have been answered.
I am trying to put together a minimalist tool kit. What wrenches used most etc. Tools you couldn't live without after the years of experience you've had?

And although I have not read this entire thread (probably 500 pages or so) it seems that tire pressure changes from off road to on road are important. That being said, does one need to invest in a "good" pressure gauge or just any with the right range?

Thanks for the help....
s3cr3tsqrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #37384
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzworld View Post
just wondering how much do you weigh? Im 145lbs and im not using about 2 inches of the last part of travel. Havent jumped anything huge but i go through some rough stuff.

I found this in the service manual.

Fork spring free length 450.0 mm (17.72 in)
Limit 441.0 mm (17.36 in)
Installed length 439.2 mm (17.29 in)

can i get away with using the 441mm cut spring from racetech without them having to build me a 9mm spacer?

(they stated they were going to cut a 462mm .42kg/mm spring to 441mm to get .44kg/mm)
I weigh 160. With the oil changed, both height and type, I found the forks to be a little soft for me, I could bottom them off of smaller jumps - but much more linear predictable action than before and silky smooth over small trail rough. Even with the 120mm oil height, these forks still don't seem to travel as close to the bottom casting as the std KYB 46mm offroad forks I have (even with bottoming). (These forks are NOT the off-road KYB units. They use different internals, valve diameters, etc.)

As far as the spacer goes, you might need it to get the right preload - you could try it without a spacer and if it works for you, you'd be set. If not, you could cut your own spacer out of PVC pipe or whatever.

It's strange that they need to cut a spring - there should be other springs available that meet the .44kg/mm rate that would fit the 46mm diameter KYB's. When I had the stock springs out of mine I compared them with some springs I had laying around from older YZ's and WR's , and the older 46's were just slightly shorter, less than an inch, as I recall. At the time I remember thinking I'd just cut PVC spacers to make them work if need be.

Both the spring rate and the damping collectively affect fork stiffness, with oil level also affecting total travel. That's why it wouldn't hurt just to try less and lighter oil before you go to a softer spring, you may find the oil adjustments are enough (especially if you are a cheap-skate like me).
Old 08-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #37385
1Down-5Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Bluhduh Bad Brake Luck

I need a new front brake hose ASAP. I got jousted by a stick and it bent the stem of the line coming out of the master cylinder. It ovalized the hole in the eyelet end of the line, so it was pissing fluid from behind the washers. I lost the backs brakes at the same time, but kept riding for a couple of km's before pulling over to inspect. A stick had jammed under my rear brake pedal!

I had ordered a new line from the local dealer and like usual they handed me the wrong part, a one foot long hose!! Took them 3 tries to get an aftermarket airfilter, but they got the swingarm chain guard right on the second try. I have to wait 2 weeks max from Japan. Got a ride happening Sept 6,7,8.

I am searching for aftermarket lines in Canada but I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to call.

Does anyone know if a ZY or "F" line will work?? That's way beyond the capabilities of the local Yamy dealer to figure that one out. They had a new YZ in the showroom and the end fittings looked the same.
1Down-5Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #37386
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3cr3tsqrrl View Post
Don't flame me...That being said, does one need to invest in a "good" pressure gauge or just any with the right range?

Thanks for the help....
aw gee, that takes all the fun out of it

The quicker answer I'll nab (the minimalist tool kit is harder...) I use a basic pencil type gauge, good quality, it's within a # of the higher priced ones. Good enuf. Also, a decent small hand air pump.

I don't normally bother changing tire pressure much though, a bit higher if I know the ride is all pavement, a bit lower if mostly dirt. I'd rather ride than fool with tire pressure.

Have fun!

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #37387
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,972
I use a digital gauge at home, but the pencil gauge is fine for airing up and down during a ride.

Does your have the factory tool kit? If so, I wouldn't rush to buy things. I carry tire-change kit & 21" tube, hand-pump, cable ties, elec. tape, and the oem kit with a couple hex keys added.

Quote:
Don't flame me, am new and tried searching with no luck. Just got a new 2012 WR250R, love it, basically a month of reading this thread and all the good things said about this bike sealed the deal for me so, thanks I guess ?!

I am trying to put together a minimalist tool kit. What wrenches used most etc. Tools you couldn't live without after the years of experience you've had?

And although I have not read this entire thread (probably 500 pages or so) it seems that tire pressure changes from off road to on road are important. That being said, does one need to invest in a "good" pressure gauge or just any with the right range?

Thanks for the help....
Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #37388
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:

Thanks for the help....
This bike is very reliable and I've never needed anything though if I were to go on a long trip I'd bring just enough to change the oil, a flat and maybe a multi-tool + hex keys. If you're just beating around the forest and your bike is well maintained you'll be fine, remembering you can't prepare for every scenario (i.e. bent rim, snapped chain)
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #37389
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
How much for a 2009 with 2000 miles. Fmf full exhaust and big footpegs. Posted for 4500. Seems a bit high to me. Anyone else opinion?
Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #37390
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
How much for a 2009 with 2000 miles. Fmf full exhaust and big footpegs. Posted for 4500. Seems a bit high to me. Anyone else opinion?
In my opinion, it's a $3,995 motorcycle.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #37391
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I agree. These bikes come with too much oil in the forks which doesn't allow full travel. Mine came with 95mm (fork oil level) in one fork and 100mm in the other. I put Amsoil light 5wt in at 120 mm from the top of the compressed fork (w/o springs) and both the length of travel and smoothness of travel improved greatly. Night and day, actually.

The stock yamaha 01 oil is a little too thick too for these forks (unless you live in hot climate).
I'm with you. I lowered mine last year, and it was much better but they still rarely use more than half the travel. I'm going to go with lighter oil this winter and 120mm sounds good.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #37392
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Down-5Up View Post
I need a new front brake hose ASAP. I got jousted by a stick and it bent the stem of the line coming out of the master cylinder. It ovalized the hole in the eyelet end of the line, so it was pissing fluid from behind the washers. I lost the backs brakes at the same time, but kept riding for a couple of km's before pulling over to inspect. A stick had jammed under my rear brake pedal!

I had ordered a new line from the local dealer and like usual they handed me the wrong part, a one foot long hose!! Took them 3 tries to get an aftermarket airfilter, but they got the swingarm chain guard right on the second try. I have to wait 2 weeks max from Japan. Got a ride happening Sept 6,7,8.

I am searching for aftermarket lines in Canada but I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to call.

Does anyone know if a ZY or "F" line will work?? That's way beyond the capabilities of the local Yamy dealer to figure that one out. They had a new YZ in the showroom and the end fittings looked the same.
I just bought HEL brand braided steel lines from seller moto-heaven on Ebay. I asked for 2" longer front and they still shipped the same day. Ordered on the 13th, received on the 15th! They are in PA and ship worldwide. Hope this helps.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #37393
Bogus Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Down-5Up View Post
I think WRF OEM lines would fit, I ordered WRF steel braid from Galfer and put them on my WRR. Not a perfect fit though.

If you can get HEL's from eBay in 2 days perhaps that's the way to go. Maybe they'll fit better too.
Bogus Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #37394
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Basically brand new. $4500 close.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #37395
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Please do... gives an office dweller like myself something to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Hell ya you should! Did you tow the Moto Mule again this year? Nice to see ya out there tearing it up Fishy.

My little 250 has been getting quite the workout this year as well. It sure is a great little explorer bike.
Well, I got the pics uploaded so I started the report....

Brokeback Idaho, Chasin' the Nez and Stompin Stanley... Fishy and PeterMAN's adventure of discovery!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post22153022

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Aren't you supposed to be working
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote