Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #37576
rmax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"I would like my bike to be a little quieter. I have the Powercore 4 on there now. Does the "quiet insert" for this pipe do any good?"

I'm running the 'quiet powercore' insert in a Q4... (I had to bend the spark arrestor screen to fit it).
It really tones the exhaust down. I imagine it would do the same in a Powercore.

>"Also, is the Q4 noticeably quieter than the Powercore 4?"

Hmmm... dunno on that one.
I bought the PC4 with the quiet insert, it tests out at 95db. I'll take the insert out and test it; see what difference it makes.
rmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #37577
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird1 View Post
I saw something rather ominous- links on the TCI home page to info regarding the sale of the company, looking for a partner, etc. Are they in financial difficulty? Anyone here with some insider information? We don't need to lose any companies for our admittedly narrow-focus sport!

Maybe they just want to retire and pass on a successful business. Not a bad thing, having done so myself.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #37578
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
Maybe they just want to retire and pass on a successful business. Not a bad thing, having done so myself.
I think they are part of Turbo and maybe the money is just not there, or they need a partner to bring in money and help run that phase???

When I had to check on my order the other day, I got a man and English was not his first language, and then a lady that was the same.

Was supposed to have gotten an email with shipping info but did not and many excuses were made???

I did get the part the next day after talking with them, so shipping was fast.. Total of 3 days from Ca.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #37579
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowadvrider View Post
If I go with the 19 inch front wheel, do you guys think I should use a X front brake rotor (better street braking, but heavier) or the smaller R rotor (lighter and less of a chance to damage it off-road)???
What caliper do you have? R or X?
Whatever you have on there, use the corresponding rotor. Sorry if you mentioned this already. I wouldn't worry about weight, I don't think it is that different.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #37580
Slowadvrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
What caliper do you have? R or X?
Whatever you have on there, use the corresponding rotor. Sorry if you mentioned this already. I wouldn't worry about weight, I don't think it is that different.
My Bike is a R but I bought off this sight a complete X wheel set and front brake assem.

so I can go with which ever is best. I have not installed the X parts so I have no clue how powerful those brakes are compared to my R
Slowadvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #37581
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmax View Post
I bought the PC4 with the quiet insert, it tests out at 95db. I'll take the insert out and test it; see what difference it makes.
Thanks! That'd be an interesting comparison, but don't go out of your way to do so.

Have you heard a Powercore 4 on the WR? Can anyone tell me how the Q4 and the Powercore compare?

I ordered the Quietcore Insert part 040288 so we'll see how much of a difference that makes!
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #37582
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowadvrider View Post
My Bike is a R but I bought off this sight a complete X wheel set and front brake assem.

so I can go with which ever is best. I have not installed the X parts so I have no clue how powerful those brakes are compared to my R

Wow, sounds like you will soon have 3 wheel sets, something I have been contemplating. That is a lot of different sized spare tubes to carry around
I have two sets of wheels and two corresponding brake calipers.

I found the X brakes to be infinitely more powerful than the R brakes. (Realistically, most of the weakness with my R brakes is due to the fact that just after I swapped over to the r wheels and caliper, my left fork seal pooped the bed and marinated the r caliper and pads in oil)
I am personally trying to get away from changing calipers (time consuming)

The question comes down to what wheels/ caliper you run the majority of the time. If you have the x caliper on there most of the time, get x rotors on new wheels; r caliper, get r rotors.

At a certain point price plays into this as well, I believe that X rotors are initially more expensive, as well as more expensive to replace. As far as hitting them, get a guard. I haven't hit a rotor yet, either mountain biking or dirtbiking. Maybe I am lucky, YMMV. I like to have all the braking power I can get, and will be getting a new 18/21" setup with x rotors
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #37583
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I think the company was really nice to have replied three times. And I was glad the third email said NO, and don't waste our time...
Agree. Vendor gets a gold star for how they handled the situation!
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #37584
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Just finished some maintenance - put on a T63 rear, cleaned and oiled the air filter, and greased the front and rear wheel bearings. Very excited to get out there and ride!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #37585
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
WR250R on CL

No affiliation, but I saw this WR250R on Craigslist. Looks a little rough around the edges but might suit someone on a budget:

http://rockies.craigslist.org/mcy/3996844984.html

Luke308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #37586
crunchiespg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
so i just picked up my new to me 2013 last night. it had just about 500km on it when i picked it up.. so basically brand new.
i had over a 300km ride home, plus some extra time around the city i bought it from last night.. so about 400km on it since yesterday evening.

my impressions thus far,

it does very well on the highway, for a small bike. cruises along at 105km very easily.. it feels as comfortable as my dakar was for cruising along.. sure passing at highway speeds isn't really a go, but it did just fine on a 130km stretch of highway 2..

it obviously has nothing in the way of wind protection.. but to be honest i kind of like it, yes its windy, but its clean wind.. the ktm had much better wind protection, but the wind that does get through is very choppy and buffeted my helmet a lot.. being fully exposed to clean wind is actually more comfortable.

seat is pretty hard.. its not a bad width, but is a bit firm.. hopefully it softens up a little. even with the sheepskin my tail bone was aching a lot after 350km this morning.. 150km a stretch was about all i could bare.. the po has got a brand new seat concepts seat he's included in the deal, he's dropping it off for me this weekend.. downside is i think its the low one, so i probably wont use it. i found the stock seat to peg height as low as i would like.. any smaller would feel very cramped for me, and I'm only about 5'10"..

the fuel tank is pathetically small.. pushing it fairly hard today i averaged 4.4l/100km.. the first fuel stop took 7.2l after approx 160km.. so i was running on fumes.. but i had no choice as thats how far apart the gas stops were.. i need the 4.7 gal tank asap. plenty of places here can easily need 200km between gas stops. plus if i want to do some dirt riding, its 35km to the ride spots, so that would use half a tank just getting there and back.

my speedo isnt too bad.. about 8km over reading at low speeds, 11km at highway speeds when compared to gps.

the stock tyres are fine for road use, and they are more aggressive than i thought they were from looking at the pictures.. ill see how they do for the local dirt riding.

im going to get the full highway dirt bike bars and handguards etc.. i might raise the bars a bit as they feel low when standing..

so overall im happy.. sure its a big step down in power from my ktm, but to be honest it feels nippy enough, and can do highway speeds easily..

now some questions..
the PO fitted a yamalink, and dropped the forks by about 16mm.. is it ok to use the yamalink but put the forks back to stock height? i dont need it lowering, but everyone says the yamalink does improve the suspension overall., so i dont mind leaving it on. im not sure if he also used the adjustment to lower the rear shock, but if he did i will put that back. as it currently is i can totally flat foot it on both sides, so i dont mind it a bit higher for better clearance. plus the PO was about 50lbs lighter than me, so ill have to play around with the settings. has anyone got any good settings for a 210lb rider?

is the ims 4.7 gal tank the best one to get?

cheers
'05 F650GS Dakar (sold)
Plus about 50 previous bikes in Europe...
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #37587
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
Just finished some maintenance - put on a T63 rear, cleaned and oiled the air filter, and greased the front and rear wheel bearings. Very excited to get out there and ride!
OK, so when are we leaving, and where are we going??

(PM sent)
Old 08-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #37588
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
chain slider issues ?

I'm at 15k miles , still on the original which is still better than 50%
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #37589
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
chain slider issues ?

I'm at 15k miles , still on the original which is still better than 50%
I am almost on 40,000km with the original slider......got me stuffed how people wear them out as bad as they do

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #37590
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
the PO fitted a yamalink, and dropped the forks by about 16mm.. is it ok to use the yamalink but put the forks back to stock height? i dont need it lowering, but everyone says the yamalink does improve the suspension overall., so i dont mind leaving it on. im not sure if he also used the adjustment to lower the rear shock, but if he did i will put that back. as it currently is i can totally flat foot it on both sides, so i dont mind it a bit higher for better clearance. plus the PO was about 50lbs lighter than me, so ill have to play around with the settings. has anyone got any good settings for a 210lb rider?

is the ims 4.7 gal tank the best one to get?

cheers
The yamalink has the effect of reducing the spring rate compared to the stock link (that's why guys who weight less probably like it) - so for your 210 lb weight, the best bet is to remove it. The stiffer spring action will work better for you. If you do decide to keep the yamalink, dropping the forks back to stock height will make the bike harder to steer.