Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #37786
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,778
Sharp edges if you crash can be a bad thing. Food for thought.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #37787
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,165
running the IMS large tank on the bike and am wondering if the fuel should be pulled up from the wings at the front via the internal fuel line ?
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #37788
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
running the IMS large tank on the bike and am wondering if the fuel should be pulled up from the wings at the front via the internal fuel line ?
That is the way my Safari works. It has a little Mikuni vacuum pump that lifts fuel from both wings. Pretty much drains them dry too.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #37789
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Sharp edges if you crash can be a bad thing. Food for thought.
I agree with that... All of the edges and corners that could pose a threat were filed round, and the bolts that anchor it to the bike are sized to shear off in the event of a serious wreck. Would have been nice to have nice generous radii (1"+) on the corners, but unfortunately that really wasn't an option with the resources available.
-M
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #37790
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
A couple of pictures from my little adventure yesterday.

These first ones are from a place called Cape Clear that overlooks the Margaree River

This is an old windmill by the Wreck Cove hydro station

My cousins XR650l and my WR250X by a man made lake on top of the mountain before a gnarly downhill descent.

Some things that I learned yesterday were, the XR650l piped and jetted is slightly fast than my bike with just an exhaust

Going to fast around unknown corners can be bad for your health and the WR250 is far superior off road. And finaly places where I was going along quite easily my cousin said he almost killed himself multiple times so it's always a good idea to take the right tool for the job.
Mr.Black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #37791
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
On a more positive note, I put together a rear rack for mine today. Needed something more substantial than the stock luggage plate to hold the duffel for any sizeable trip, so I went walking through Menards and pieced together something that would work well. It's all bolt together since I'm welderless together, and is made primarily from 1"x1/8" thick aluminum angle, some 3/4" aluminum square tubing for the mounts to the bike, and some miscellaneous corner brackets to hold it all together.

And the bike loaded up:

-M
Dangerous that.

Bikes with a flat rear plastic end and frame rails don't need racks. The Wolfman and Kriega methods are sufficient. Nothing you can't do with straps.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #37792
Dirtpatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Ims tank how do you get all the fuel out

Bought a used wr and drained the 4 gal ims tank to fuel starvation. Good news went 100 miles on reserve. Bad news is had a couple inches in the wings where I could see gas left. Over the winter what do I adjust to run the wings dry.
Dirtpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #37793
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
YZ front end on WRx

What do you do when you have a 2000 YZ250 front end with 21" tire on an XT550 and want an sm wheel on it and you own an 08 WRx and want a 21" tire on it... swap forks and brake calipers of course

This was my brother-in-laws Sunday project today... According to him the forks swapped over easy as can be, biggest pain was bleeding the brakes. The XT used to be his trail machine, but now he is thinking it will make a better sumo... I would agree with him there.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #37794
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
What do you do when you have a 2000 YZ250 front end with 21" tire on an XT550 and want an sm wheel on it and you own an 08 WRx and want a 21" tire on it... swap forks and brake calipers of course

This was my brother-in-laws Sunday project today... According to him the forks swapped over easy as can be, biggest pain was bleeding the brakes. The XT used to be his trail machine, but now he is thinking it will make a better sumo... I would agree with him there.
Aren't the yz forks longer than the wr's?
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #37795
pilacs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Question Can it bedone???

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying one of these magic machines. Would the little machine be a good stablemate for my 990adv!? I'm planning a route from Florida to Canada to South Korea,Siberia,Mongolia and to Eastern Europe for next summer,about 12,000 miles. Would that be to much to ask from a 250R? I'm 6'1" 220. Thanks
pilacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #37796
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,856
Too much? Hell it'll barely be broken in by then. If you're not looking to cruise at 80mph the whole time it's a great choice of travel bike. Mine broke 40000 miles leaving Deadhorse doing 90+mph with a weekend camping load. It's a durable bike.

Those who've had engine issues typically have abused and really beat on their machines. Drowning, dirty air filter, running low on oil somehow, etc.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #37797
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilacs View Post
Hi all, I'm thinking of buying one of these magic machines. Would the little machine be a good stablemate for my 990adv!? I'm planning a route from Florida to Canada to South Korea,Siberia,Mongolia and to Eastern Europe for next summer,about 12,000 miles. Would that be to much to ask from a 250R? I'm 6'1" 220. Thanks
One concern might be fuel quality & octane. Yamaha recommends 91 octane due to the high compression (11.8:1) and dirty fuel is tougher on high pressure fuel injection systems than carbs. Any failure of a high tech system in the boonies is a real problem. A basic air-cooled and carbureted motor is a lot easier to cobble a fix.

You might want to research some ride reports here on ADV for the areas that you are going to, and see what experiences other riders have had.

BluePill screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 07:27 AM
BluePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #37798
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
WR250R Won't Start

After changing my chain and sprockets, spark plug, etc. I rolled the bike outside and tried to fire 'er up. Fuel pump was priming, it turned over, bike in neutral, side stand up, etc. but not starting.

Started to run through in my mind everything I touched that I should go back and check, but I jumped on Google, typed in "WR250R won't start", read about the little trick of starting the bike with the throttle wide open, went outside and it fired right up. That's a good Ace to have up your sleeve before you go take apart the entire bike looking for the problem...

Oh, and this chain tension thing has me running around in circles, seems like half the folks here think it should be tight, the other half think loose, and when I push up on the chain the new chain slider interferes before I can get a good measurement from the swingarm.

Luke308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #37799
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke308 View Post
This picture worries ma tad bit. Overall, the slider does not look that worn compared to the new one right next to it. Looks nasty, but not worn too bad.

What front sprocket were you running?

EDIT: Check that...just realized I was looking at the top side not being too different..then realizing the bottom side is completely worn away.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #37800
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
>"the other half think loose,"

Yup. Run a 14 tooth sprocket in the front. 50 or 51 on rear.
8K miles now on that setup...
The swing arm guard shows no wear on the bottom.

(I wore 4 of em out in the first 10K miles on the 250, 13T sprocket).