Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #38461
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,117
Gonna be selling my tiger before i lose my license sadly. Best 50/50 tire?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #38462
Fistful of Bacon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
been in the market for a wrr for a while, anyone know some price ranges for used ones? ive seen a couple that were on sale that seemed a bit expensive, and looked at KBB and NADA, but those prices seemed too cheap for what ive been seeing, thoughts?
Fistful of Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #38463
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,374
It'd probably be easier if you posted what you are looking at and we told you yea or nay.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #38464
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 931
You read it here first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
For my friend on the WR450R it was a piece of piss.
So they're testing the WR450R in an undisclosed location to the south of Darwin, eh?

... or did you mean WR450F?

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #38465
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz View Post
So they're testing the WR450R in an undisclosed location to the south of Darwin, eh?

... or did you mean WR450F?
oops my bad, indeed that's the one
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #38466
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixer View Post
Also curious. It's my understanding the tightest chain condition occurs when the front sprocket, swingarm pivot, and rear axle points all line up in a straight line. Not sure how side stand vs. lift would matter in that case?

Typically I get these three points aligned, then firstly adjust the the chain so it has about 1/2" give between sprockets, then secondly (and ONLY IF NEEDED) loosen a bit more so there is no direct tension/forced rubbing on the plastic sliders.
For what it's worth, the technical service bulletin says to adjust ON the side stand whereas previously the service manual said to perform the adjustment on a lift. From my understanding, there was accelerated wear on the guards (mostly because you ride with sag, not with the rear wheel in the air.)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6Av...it?usp=sharing
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #38467
drifter dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I swear, half of this colossal thread is dedicated to chain tension. My method is to get onto the bike, with any gear I might be carrying and check for slack with the full weight of rider on board. It should be pretty obvious at this point if you are running too slack or too tight.

I'm at 13,000 kms and little swingarm guard wear.

I personally would never trust a chain tension measurement done with the bike unloaded: there are too many variables in play; rider weight, sag setting, sprocket size, etc.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544121
drifter dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #38468
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter dave View Post
I swear, half of this colossal thread is dedicated to chain tension. My method is to get onto the bike, with any gear I might be carrying and check for slack with the full weight of rider on board. It should be pretty obvious at this point if you are running too slack or too tight.

I'm at 13,000 kms and little swingarm guard wear.

I personally would never trust a chain tension measurement done with the bike unloaded: there are too many variables in play; rider weight, sag setting, sprocket size, etc.
+1

6 bikes in my garage , my chain tension measurment is " a little bit of slack when the suspension is compressed" no numbers , no rulers

16K on my WR , swapping wheels back and forth , one with a 42T and one with a 47

chain slider still about 60%
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #38469
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
does anyone do an adventure/rally kit for the wr250r? something like this..

something with huge tanks, bit of wind protection, better headlight options etc..
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #38470
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post

something with huge tanks, bit of wind protection, better headlight options etc..
I'm really trying to look at the practical side of this design, and not trying to be rude, but somehow this rally fairing business really takes away from the beauty of not only these bikes, but most bikes in general. I'm all for big tanks and better headlights (oh how I wish this bike came with a round headlight, big design mistake IMHO) but the beak is, well... maybe I'm just old fashioned. I am sure they are practical. But so were Pontiac Aztecs.
Unless it's stuffed with electronics, I am curious as to the benefits of the high er...nose. I have never been bothered by the air flow on this bike.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #38471
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
I'm really trying to look at the practical side of this design, and not trying to be rude, but somehow this rally fairing business really takes away from the beauty of not only these bikes, but most bikes in general. I'm all for big tanks and better headlights (oh how I wish this bike came with a round headlight, big design mistake IMHO) but the beak is, well... maybe I'm just old fashioned. I am sure they are practical. But so were Pontiac Aztecs.
Unless it's stuffed with electronics, I am curious as to the benefits of the high er...nose. I have never been bothered by the air flow on this bike.
i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love the look of rally bikes. The rally ktm 690's for example look great.
However I'm not concerned about looks. But I am so overwhelmed by how versatile this bike is I think a rally kit would work great to make it even better for long journeys while still being off road worthy.
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #38472
juun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I swore I had a similar kit bookmarked at one point but it was on the opposite side of the pond and I remember correctly was going for 1500 usd. Of course I can't find it now.
juun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #38473
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
This is the best write up of adjusting chain tension I've ever seen. A bit involved the 1st time, but after that its a cinch.

http://www.dualies.com/downloads/fil...Adjustment.pdf
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #38474
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post

There is a guy that sells something somewhat similar, see post 72 of:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=622796&page=5
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #38475
Fistful of Bacon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
It'd probably be easier if you posted what you are looking at and we told you yea or nay.
Well theres been all 08's, one with 1200 miles for 4k, one with 4000 miles and road rash for 3.8, and an x with 14k miles for 3.6. Those have been the only ones in the area for 2 months or so
Fistful of Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote