Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #38686
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 773
+1, just did the AIS removal on my WR and used a rubber chair-leg cap from Ace Hardware. Fit like a glove.
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #38687
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
readily available at a hardware store , thanks

anyone know if the plug on the vacuum port on the throttle body is susceptible to the same type of rot /cracking ? should I pull the tank and take a look ?
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #38688
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Oil Change Procedure

2009 WR250X

So, I'm checking the owners manual for oil capacity and noticed a "burping" procedure mentioned to check for proper oil pressure. The check valve is on the rear of the cylinder on the left side.

Is this part of the normal oil change procedure or a separate procedure just to check oil pressure?
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #38689
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
2009 WR250X

So, I'm checking the owners manual for oil capacity and noticed a "burping" procedure mentioned to check for proper oil pressure. The check valve is on the rear of the cylinder on the left side.

Is this part of the normal oil change procedure or a separate procedure just to check oil pressure?
It is listed in oil change procedure per manual. I always do it as it only takes an extra min, however I know others that don't.
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #38690
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
2009 WR250X

I'd bet most people don't do it.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #38691
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,457
Quote:
2009 WR250X

If you only change the oil filter every second oil change, as per the factory schedule, I see no reason whatever to burp the system when changing the oil only, since no air is introduced into the system. To be cautious, it might pay to burp when changing the filter.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #38692
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
If you only change the oil filter every second oil change, as per the factory schedule, I see no reason whatever to burp the system when changing the oil only, since no air is introduced into the system. To be cautious, it might pay to burp when changing the filter.
My take on the manuals reason for doing this isn't to remove air from the system, its to check oil pressure, since it doesn't have a low oil pressure light.

I guess if you manage to install the oil filter wrong you would have a pressure issue. I did the check once the first time I changed oil. After cleaning up the huge mess I never felt the need to check it again.

I'd say if you sleep better at night knowing you did your oil change by the book then I would recommend doing the check.

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #38693
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Hey guys, does anyone know of a good, easy to fit, front fender support? Something to keep it stiffer when a tube bag is fastened on? Thanks!!

Hey guys, thought I'd ask again, just in case some folks missed it. :)
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #38694
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
readily available at a hardware store , thanks

anyone know if the plug on the vacuum port on the throttle body is susceptible to the same type of rot /cracking ? should I pull the tank and take a look ?
It is and you should. I got tired of replacing it every season (it cracks that fast, as does the AIS plug) so I slathered the last replacement in black RTV silicon. Been 3 years and no issues. For the AIS, I just put the AIS system back on.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #38695
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
It is and you should. I got tired of replacing it every season (it cracks that fast, as does the AIS plug) so I slathered the last replacement in black RTV silicon. Been 3 years and no issues. For the AIS, I just put the AIS system back on.
Reinstalled the AIS......why?
Old 10-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #38696
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,856
Because the rubber caps I and most everyone uses to plug the hole on the airbox kept rotting. I went through 4 or 5 in a year and a half, and at least three separate times I found the top of the cap basically missing letting a bunch of unfiltered air in to my airbox behind the air filter so I decided it wasn't worth the 8oz weigh reduction to remove the system. YMMV.

And the same goes for the flapper valve cap on the throttle body. Regular rubber caps will rot and let unfiltered air in to the throttle body. Check and replace them every time you have the tank off, cover the next cap with silicon so it cant rot, or leave the flapper valve system alone. I'll probably opt for the third option should I ever replace my WRR.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #38697
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Hey guys, does anyone know of a good, easy to fit, front fender support? Something to keep it stiffer when a tube bag is fastened on? Thanks!!
I've had a tube and tire irons and co2 on my fender on the WRR forever with no issues, And my WRF which gets beat harder, and I think it uses the same fender. So you may not need one. Look for some vintage parts like the old Honda Elsinore.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #38698
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
My buddy and I took our WR250R's (his 2008, mine 2010) out for a 105 mile ride today. I just removed my EXUP servo, AIS, and installed an FMF programmer, etc.

Less than 500 feet into my ride (first bump I guess?), my horn started blaring uncontrollably by itself. I simply pulled over and unplugged it, but does anyone know what would cause it to do that by itself? The bike has just over a thousand miles on it.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #38699
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
My buddy and I took our WR250R's (his 2008, mine 2010) out for a 105 mile ride today. I just removed my EXUP servo, AIS, and installed an FMF programmer, etc.

Less than 500 feet into my ride (first bump I guess?), my horn started blaring uncontrollably by itself. I simply pulled over and unplugged it, but does anyone know what would cause it to do that by itself? The bike has just over a thousand miles on it.
Yeah, pretty sure they all do that - it's just to tell you the battery's fully charged. Mine's done that since new. I just wear ear plugs, never thought of disconnecting it.

Reeksy screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 08:14 PM
Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #38700
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz View Post
Yeah, pretty sure they all do that - it's just to tell you the battery's fully charged. Mine's done that since new. I just wear ear plugs, never thought of disconnecting it.
Yes mine too, I just listen to my audiobooks and it drowns out the noise. If anything it makes you safer on the road because the surrounding vehicles are aware of your presence.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote