Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #38836
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,759
They've been usable for me but I'm looking forward to trying something better.
Earth Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #38837
waturz
Panhandler

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
Stock tire talk......

My 2008 bike has damn near brand new TW301 up front and TW302 out back. I have read most of the "death wing" threads....not sure I'm convinced these tires are crap. If we were talking an about a set of Metzler drift slicks...or race tires yup I'd swap them out....just due to age. Trust me I am sure there are plenty of better tires on the market currently. I have loved D606's and K270's, even a set of XCMH scorpions served me well on other bikes. Any reason not to just run these tires out till they need replacing?

Any other thoughts?
I still have the stock TW's on my '14 and wanted to see if all the bad that folks say about them is true. What I've found is that on pavement or hard pack they work great. On loose dirt, sand, mud....... not so much. If I'm out on a caliche road or maintained dirt road things get a little squirelly at higher speeds and I have to reduce speed quite a bit to keep the bike upright (anything over 50 mph is sketchy). Recently I was riding New Mexico fire roads, and had to tone back the speed quite a bit compared to my buddy who was whipping around corners at speed with ease (not on TW's). We also had a few places where we had to ride through wet fallen baby aspens and misc. limbs across trails. The rear TW tire was like having a slick, and again other motorcycles gripped and rode over the obstacles with ease. Had no problems in babyhead or shale rocks keeping up. Again the TW's seem to do fine in the hard packed terrain.

I decided to be cheap and put some wear on the stockers before putting on the Pirelli front, Dunlop rear combo that seems to be popular. I've got the replacements in the garage, but the cheap part of me is having a hard time wanting to take off a practically new tires no matter how bad they ride. I'll have the new tires on before going back to New Mexico in the Spring.

Bottom line in my opinion, for around town or improved roads there is no reason to fault the TW's. If your going to ride in places where this bike shines, it needs new shoes.
waturz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #38838
2Fat2Pedal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Headlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
Went on the "Bucky 5" yesterday and my headlight lens was destroyed. Anyone remember which ktm light bolts in? The stock yamaha is big $$$$
See a few posts back for Baja Designs part.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #38839
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
This is what I was looking for thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
It is the Baja designs Diablo here: http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=600002

direct bolt in replacement. Its what I've got in mine now. It has an extra parking lamp, but I didn't wire it up, but you could if you wanted to. Stock bulb fits
here's what I needed! thanks
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #38840
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Stock tire talk......

My 2008 bike has damn near brand new TW301 up front and TW302 out back. I have read most of the "death wing" threads....not sure I'm convinced these tires are crap. If we were talking an about a set of Metzler drift slicks...or race tires yup I'd swap them out....just due to age. Trust me I am sure there are plenty of better tires on the market currently. I have loved D606's and K270's, even a set of XCMH scorpions served me well on other bikes. Any reason not to just run these tires out till they need replacing?

Any other thoughts?

For offroad riding the tires are the single best bang for the buck improvement you can do to the WRR. Period. If the only "offroad" riding you're doing is a flat stretch of hard pack that is really just a road minus some pavement, then the stock TW's are perfectly acceptable. Anything that might require even a modicum of traction and you'd really benefit from some better rubber.

Tires are cheap compared to a blown knee from a dumb slide out on an easy turn.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #38841
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz View Post
The national minimum wage is currently $16.37 per hour or $622.20 per 38 hour week.

Casual employees covered by the national minimum wage also get at least a 24 per cent casual loading.

We have a highly unionised workforce.

We're at the bottom of the world and have 23-odd million people.

Household debt ratio is something like 150%

Basically, we seem to be prepared to pay more than everyone else, and we get reamed by the rest of the world when they want to sell us stuff

On the plus side, there's lots of good riding
Oz has been in a straight boom for what, 25 years? The states is having problems, and as always, it's location, location, location that sets the wages. Weldors get fine pay if there's something to do [pipelines, eg.] if nothing to do, too bad, just like anything else.

But riding? We got that, too.
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #38842
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Oz has been in a straight boom for what, 25 years? The states is having problems, and as always, it's location, location, location that sets the wages. Weldors get fine pay if there's something to do [pipelines, eg.] if nothing to do, too bad, just like anything else.

But riding? We got that, too.
Forgot three very important things.

Three tiers of Government... and the taxes to go go with them.

Right back to bikes...

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #38843
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Yeah we get raped by everyone down here. A pint of beer is $10, a daily public transport ticket close to $9, house prices require you to sign away the rest of your life, I read the other day that the state government here in VIC soon wants to charge you $57 to use a camp site.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #38844
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,457
Quote:
Stock tire talk......

Any reason not to just run these tires out till they need replacing?

Any other thoughts?

I have gone thru at least 6 rear and 4 front TW's in 23K miles, and I find them great for my style of riding, which is 50% paved, 40% gravel, and 10% real dirt single track. They do not offer reasonable traction in any wet conditions, but I can assure you that if you choose to run them through some nasty mud and you survive, your skill level will increase greatly!!

I did try a pair of D606, and the rear traction was incredible in the mud.

The front wore badly and was very noisy, even before the funky ramp wear.

BluePill screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 04:19 PM
BluePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #38845
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
I have gone thru at least 6 rear and 4 front TW's in 23K miles, and I find them great for my style of riding, which is 50% paved, 40% gravel, and 10% real dirt single track. They do not offer reasonable traction in any wet conditions, but I can assure you that if you choose to run them through some nasty mud and you survive, your skill level will increase greatly!!

I did try a pair of D606, and the rear traction was incredible in the mud.

The front wore badly and was very noisy, even before the funky ramp wear.

Yup, I have a stack of worn 606's that look like this.... Very predictable even in the end.

Thanks for the info all.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #38846
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Yup, I have a stack of worn 606's that look like this.... Very predictable even in the end.

Thanks for the info all.
I know people who turn the front around once the wear gets uneven ...

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #38847
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,768
A little late for some of you broken head light sufferers, but as soon as I got my bike and saw in this thread how crazy priced the head light was, I ordered some 1/8" Lexan, and some of these 3M locking strips( same kind as EZ pass mounts) http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103345

For under $12, and 10 minutes, I had made a head light saver, and some spares. Judging from the rock marks in mine, I think it more than paid for itself.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #38848
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
A little late for some of you broken head light sufferers, but as soon as I got my bike and saw in this thread how crazy priced the head light was, I ordered some 1/8" Lexan, and some of these 3M locking strips( same kind as EZ pass mounts) http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103345

For under $12, and 10 minutes, I had made a head light saver, and some spares. Judging from the rock marks in mine, I think it more than paid for itself.
Yep, it's cheap insurance. Mine was leftover Velcro and leftover 1/8" acrylic.

I was concerned that the Velcro adhesive would loosen with heat, but it has stayed put for more than a year.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #38849
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,243
Just learned that one must turn the key off and back on when the bike is dropped.

I decided to ride the WR to the office and embarrassingly it stalled as I attempted a right off a stop sign. A stall with the wheel turned does not go well. I was trying to restart for awhile until it occurred to me to turn the key off and then on.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #38850
ilyaon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Giant Loop saddlebags on WR250R

Does anyone uses Giant Loop saddlebags on WR250R?
If so which model/size?
Got pictures? please share.

Thank you.
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote