ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #39106
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer
 
10Cup's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Oddometer: 2,666
For what it's worth I use the Henry/Reed bend on my fat bars with the Scott's damper set up.
__________________
10Cup - WR250R - BMW R1200GS
Trails of the West 2011 Moab/Western TAT 2010 Continental Divide Ride 09 Route 66 Ride SPOT Tracker
The cost of living's going up, and the chance of livin's going down.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #39107
trailwerks
Missing Two Wheels
 
trailwerks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Anyone with experience with this company and which bars you recommend ?
The bar choice is too personal to comment on but Highwaydirtbikes as a company is GREAT to work with....
__________________
Trailwerks - NMOHVA Recreation Resource Director - Together, we do more!
2008 WR250R, 2004 450 EXC, 2008 690

"No battle was ever won by spectators, was it?" - George Smiley in The Honourable Schoolboy by John Le Carre
trailwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #39108
ntm1973
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: PA
Oddometer: 106
Gas tanks

I am looking to get a larger gas tank for my 2012 wr250r. Does anyone have a side by side picture of a wr with a IMS 4.7 tank and a stock tank?

I like the way the bike rides with the stock tank but could use more mileage. I am thinking about going to a 3 gallon tank to keep the stock feel but could really use more range at cetain times. How much wider is the 4.7 and how much taller (near the seat) is it than stock?

Thanks for any replies.
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #39109
Caucasian
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
I am looking to get a larger gas tank for my 2012 wr250r. Does anyone have a side by side picture of a wr with a IMS 4.7 tank and a stock tank?

I like the way the bike rides with the stock tank but could use more mileage. I am thinking about going to a 3 gallon tank to keep the stock feel but could really use more range at cetain times. How much wider is the 4.7 and how much taller (near the seat) is it than stock?

Thanks for any replies.
My buddy just put the IMS 4.7 on and loves it says there no real difference in feel. Also says there's no real impact to handling (with respect to how it caries the weight).

I have stock and next on my list is the IMS tank. I'm riding with my buddy tomorrow if I remember I'll get a pic of the two bikes next to each other for you.
Caucasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #39110
viper770
Studly Adventurer
 
viper770's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Wellington ,Kansas
Oddometer: 591


i put on a safaritank 3.7 gal tank and handling is the same and it feels good i love it
__________________
2012 YAMAHA WR250R
2013 KAWASAKI KLR650
"Take the long way home"
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #39111
USAIR
picking and riding
 
USAIR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwerks View Post
The bar choice is too personal to comment on but Highwaydirtbikes as a company is GREAT to work with....
Will the controls on on the WRR fit on 1 1/8" bar?

What are the pros and cons between 7/8" and 1 1/8" handle bars.

Seems to me I want to stick to the stock 7/8" bar size.

Thanks
Fred
__________________
2013 WR250R 2007 Wee
www.riverbendphotos.com
YouTube feed
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut

USAIR screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 08:44 AM
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #39112
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post



a) On-road damping characteristics: I think Yamaha may have made the oil orifices smaller in order to keep the thing from bouncing all over the road (then again, I'm not sure how much I'll be using my WRR on the road in the future). Nothing that couldn't be rejiggered with a revalve, but worth considering.

They work better than stock on the road. Smoother action works better anywhere.
The "oil orifices" you refer to are actually multi-layered flexible discs known as shim stacks. The stock units are of much smaller diameter than the off-road KYB's (used on many brands) and there are fewer of them...read "cheap"...as is the smaller WRR diameter base valving upon which they reside... in other words, the engineering is less about any kind of performance and more about cost. That's why revalving the stockers won't net you near the performance of a fork swap, no matter what is done, as you can't possibly change the design to match the larger flow capability (which also provides more progressive, tunable, and consistent fork action) provided by the std off-road KYB design forks.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #39113
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jcmcc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: FL
Oddometer: 162
Anybody on here installed the eastern beaver 3cs? I'm in the process of installing mine, but I'm having trouble getting it to switch on.

Orange fused (30A) wire to + battery. Black wire I have grounded to the frame but I've also grounded it straight to the battery in an effort to figure out why its not switching.

For the low amp signal switch I'm using the blue wire just rearward of the bright yellow connector on the left side of the bike. From my searches this is the license plate light wire.

It seems pretty straightforward but I'm clearly missing something

Anybody?
jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #39114
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Will the controls on on the WRR fit on 1 1/8" bar?

What are the pros and cons between 7/8" and 1 1/8" handle bars.

Seems to me I want to stick to the stock 7/8" bar size.

Thanks
Fred
Yes, the controls will fit. Only the center of the bars is 1-1/8".

Fat bars are generally stronger than 7/8" and don't have a crossbar which looks cleaner and allows more flexibility in adding accessories and such. You'll need to swap out the bar mounts or add adapters if you want to switch to fat bars.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #39115
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcc View Post
Anybody on here installed the eastern beaver 3cs? I'm in the process of installing mine, but I'm having trouble getting it to switch on.

Orange fused (30A) wire to + battery. Black wire I have grounded to the frame but I've also grounded it straight to the battery in an effort to figure out why its not switching.

For the low amp signal switch I'm using the blue wire just rearward of the bright yellow connector on the left side of the bike. From my searches this is the license plate light wire.

It seems pretty straightforward but I'm clearly missing something

Anybody?
I tapped the rear brake light. Works great, but i don't like the big connectors. I might remove and solder shrink wrap instead to save some much needed real estate under the seat.
__________________
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #39116
USAIR
picking and riding
 
USAIR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Yes, the controls will fit. Only the center of the bars is 1-1/8".

Fat bars are generally stronger than 7/8" and don't have a crossbar which looks cleaner and allows more flexibility in adding accessories and such. You'll need to swap out the bar mounts or add adapters if you want to switch to fat bars.
Thank you sir.

Fred
__________________
2013 WR250R 2007 Wee
www.riverbendphotos.com
YouTube feed
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #39117
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jcmcc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: FL
Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I tapped the rear brake light. Works great, but i don't like the big connectors. I might remove and solder shrink wrap instead to save some much needed real estate under the seat.
I'm with you on the connectors.. they're tricky to find a spot for.. I'm considering using the airbox to mount some of that stuff since its gutted anyway. I thought it wss odd the connectors are so large for a harness designed for small spots

What wire is the brake light? Wouldn't that cause the harness to only switch on when hitting the brake? Sounds like a good prank hah

jcmcc screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 01:17 PM
jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #39118
garandman
Wandering Minstrel
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Dorchester, MA / Goshen, NH
Oddometer: 6,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
i put on a safaritank 3.7 gal tank and handling is the same and it feels good i love it
Rock of the Marne!
__________________
2012 WR250R, 2009 TW200, 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS, 2008 CRF100F

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #39119
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nice_Rumble's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New London, NH
Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcc View Post
I'm with you on the connectors.. they're tricky to find a spot for.. I'm considering using the airbox to mount some of that stuff since its gutted anyway. I thought it wss odd the connectors are so large for a harness designed for small spots

What wire is the brake light? Wouldn't that cause the harness to only switch on when hitting the brake? Sounds like a good prank hah
You want the relay to connect to the blue taillight wire which is activated only when the key is turned on.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post11601823
__________________
Noise annoys, ride stealth
Member: CCCOFVT, MVTR, NETRA
2013 KTM 500EXC

Nice_Rumble screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 06:13 PM
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #39120
viper770
Studly Adventurer
 
viper770's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Wellington ,Kansas
Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Rock of the Marne!
I Wouldn't Give A Bean
To Be A Fancy Pants Marine
I'd Rather Be A
Dog Face Soldier Like I Am

I Wouldn't Trade My Old OD's
For All The Navy's Dungarees
For I'm The Walking Pride
Of Uncle Sam

On Army Posters That I Read
It Says "Be All That You Can"
So They're Tearing Me Down
To Build Me Over Again

I'm Just A Dog Face Soldier
With A Rifle On My Shoulder
And I Eat Raw Meat
For Breakfast E'V'RY Day

So Feed Me Ammunition
Keep Me In Third Division
Your Dog Face Soldier's A-Okay
__________________
2012 YAMAHA WR250R
2013 KAWASAKI KLR650
"Take the long way home"
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015