Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #39601
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
I gotta say, this is prolly my next bike. It just screams the bike I need for what I am wanting to do with it. I'd buy the Honda 250, they just dont offer a big enough tank....I think I can be pursuaded to buy blue.

You guys got any tips or recommendations on buying Blue over Red? Or should I just buy Blue and let me smile in my Helmet?
I was in the same dilemma until the end of last summer. I had studied the options for 3 years and what it finally came down to me for the WR was the ability to have a large tank, 70mph cruising as needed, and rock solid reliability. And this is coming from someone who has a fleet of super reliable Honda street bikes in the stable. I found my '08 WR pretty much outfitted the way I wanted it and am thrilled to have it. I have no regrets.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #39602
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
I was in the same dilemma until the end of last summer. I had studied the options for 3 years and what it finally came down to me for the WR was the ability to have a large tank, 70mph cruising as needed, and rock solid reliability. And this is coming from someone who has a fleet of super reliable Honda street bikes in the stable. I found my '08 WR pretty much outfitted the way I wanted it and am thrilled to have it. I have no regrets.
That is all I needed to know right there! Thank you. I love my Hondas, but damn they are slacking.....thats why I have a Tiger. Honda isnt smart enough to bring a big ADV bike to the states, but thats a topic for a different day and different thread.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #39603
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
You guys got any tips or recommendations on buying Blue over Red?
Got time for a little reading:

Head-to-Head
http://rickramsey.net/WR250RvsCRF250L.htm

WR250R Modifications
http://rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm

CRF250L Modifications
http://rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm

Just one person's view of the matter. YMMV

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #39604
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
That is all I needed to know right there! Thank you. I love my Hondas, but damn they are slacking.....thats why I have a Tiger. Honda isnt smart enough to bring a big ADV bike to the states, but thats a topic for a different day and different thread.
The XC and the WRR are a good combo to have in the garage. Still, it makes me long for a bike somewhere in the middle even more. I see myself on a KTM 690 in the future for that reason.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #39605
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
MT21's on a bike like this they can get up to 10,000kms, the continental is a first for me and I was told should be a bit longer. As I'm using the bike as a commuter I'll expect to replace them at 4000-5000kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz View Post
MT21 18 rear lasted me about 4,500 commuting. Probably another 1,000 km left in it but with the wet season coming up I changed early.

A fair bit softer than the D606, so though it's a less aggressive knobby I found it very predictable in the wet and dry.

Front MT21 looks barely worn after 5,000 km.
Are you running the knobs completely off that rear MT21, then? By 2,500km mine have been pretty much unusable in anything slightly soft. I'm going through three rear MT21s to a single front MT21, changing them around that 2,500km point.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #39606
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
The XC and the WRR are a good combo to have in the garage. Still, it makes me long for a bike somewhere in the middle even more. I see myself on a KTM 690 in the future for that reason.
Wow, you sound like me. The 690 is on my short list as well.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #39607
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Got time for a little reading:

Head-to-Head
http://rickramsey.net/WR250RvsCRF250L.htm

Just one person's view of the matter. YMMV

Your website is a great resource, thanks very much for keeping it available. It's not easy, nor inexpensive, to do.

Some people are just Honda people though...
(Notes from a CRFL perspective)

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #39608
bluzharp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPrairie_Rider View Post
I gotta say, this is prolly my next bike. It just screams the bike I need for what I am wanting to do with it. I'd buy the Honda 250, they just dont offer a big enough tank....I think I can be pursuaded to buy blue.

You guys got any tips or recommendations on buying Blue over Red? Or should I just buy Blue and let me smile in my Helmet?
Both bikes are excellent. My buddy has the Honda. The main differences to me are the Yamaha has more power, higher ground clearance. The Honda seems gruntier at low rpm's and is cheaper. There is a greater aftermarket for the Yamaha, especially for fuel tanks.
bluzharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #39609
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,111
Just wanted to say thanks to the guys that recommended the D606 on the rear and the T63 on the front.
And the 13/47 gearing.

Been riding with that combo as much as I can and love it.
Went out on some logging roads the other day and they really have good grip.
It started out 27 degrees then got into the 40s got real slick but had no problems.

I'm sure their are all sorts of good combos out there I try these out for a while.
And as far as wear well we'll see.

I will put a video up of that ride as soon as I can.

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut

USAIR screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 09:01 AM
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #39610
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:

My Brother & I rode through BC to the Yukon on dirt & gravel, then returned via the Alcan. He riding a new CRF 250 L & me on a KLR 685! The trip convinced me the 250's were the way to go for the type of riding we do. I came home & sold the KLR & started looking. I ended up with a very nice WR. The deciding factor was the 3 gallon tank, available for the CRF from IMS was not enough!

For our type of riding, Adventure Touring the backroads of the US, Canada & Mexico, either bike is capable of filling the bill but, we need fuel capacity to do it. Carrying a 1.75 gallon Rotopak on the back isn't an option for me.

Sleddog
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #39611
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I agree with this. I bought a new V-Strom 650 this past summer and love it. Also have my WRX (with both sets of wheels), and have no plans to get rid of it, because I still love to ride in places where I'd never take the V-Strom. And yes, some will take a V-Strom in places I probably never would, and on the other hand, some will ride a WRR thousands of miles across the country on pavement, but I still feel there's a slight gap in my stable. Ideally I'd probably have the WRR, a DR650, and then my V-Strom, for my dirt to pavement riding ratios of 80/20, 50/50 and 20/80 respectively. Or if Yamaha made a WR450R (or some such), that would also fill in the "gap" nicely as well.

For now though, I'm happy (and thankful) that I can have 2 steeds in the stable.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #39612
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-VT View Post
Are you running the knobs completely off that rear MT21, then? By 2,500km mine have been pretty much unusable in anything slightly soft. I'm going through three rear MT21s to a single front MT21, changing them around that 2,500km point.
Nowhere near all the way off. My ratio would be rear 2:1 front.

I run them at 20-24 psi on tar and ~14 psi in the mud and sand.

Bike's stock and 43 tooth which probably helps, too

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #39613
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,423
I hate tire changes.

I really hate tire changes in Winter.

I took advantage of the sunny day, and put my old and new tires up against the basement slider. While the sun heated the one side, I used 2 El Cheapo work lights to heat the other side. In 30 minutes, the tire felt like it had been out in the sun on a Summer day, and peeled right off. The new tire install went well also.

I still hate tire changes, just not quite as much.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #39614
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-VT View Post
2,500 seems very early to me to swap this tire but at least it's a cheap tire.. I do believe that some are made in Brazil and others in Italy and I've heard that there is a quality difference between the two but I can't confirm this, it was just something I heard.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #39615
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
I hate tire changes.

I really hate tire changes in Winter.

I took advantage of the sunny day, and put my old and new tires up against the basement slider. While the sun heated the one side, I used 2 El Cheapo work lights to heat the other side. In 30 minutes, the tire felt like it had been out in the sun on a Summer day, and peeled right off. The new tire install went well also.

I still hate tire changes, just not quite as much.
I don't like changing tires anytime.
But warming up the rubber really helps...

Works on my sweetly too...

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote