Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #39901
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
It will do it but it may not be the best bike for it.
Agree, will do it. Coming off the 650s though will notice a big difference. Gearing will be your friend to get some response. May have to mess with suspension. Reason for leaving the 650s?

I ran the cobdr with about 220lbs on the bike and it did great at 13/48 gearing fwiw
Old 01-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #39902
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagator View Post
WR owners..... I'm a 6'2" 250lb+ guy. Dumb arse ? For basic trail riding and country 2 lane roads (55mph or less), is this uber cool steel stallion gonna support my linebacker body style buttocks? And with some light soft luggage for a 1-3 day ride.

Yes - I'm about your size and have traveled extensively on a WRR. Gearing is important. For my situation, 13-45 w/ 130 Mefo Explorer rear tire (Metzeler Karoo T up front) works well. I'm typically carrying 40- 50 lbs of gear.

It's important to establish and manage your expectations before buying and setting up your bike. Under most conditions, the WRR will go 70-75 mph all day long on the highway. Heavy winds and steep grades (or both) can slow you down and may require a downshift. I remember one trip heading south in to Flagstaff from Utah, we hit 50 mph headwinds - could barely maintain 60 mph in 4th gear on some of the steeper grades. Those headwinds turned in to side winds when we turned west. It was a long, tough ride in to Las Vegas. Passing cars and trucks on 2-lane will also require more patience than it would on a 650 class bike.
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:54 AM   #39903
Leipo
'08 wr250r

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebugslayer View Post
What tires sizes are you running? Those sidewalls look higher than stock--I like it!
front: Michelin Enduro Competition VI 90/100-21
rear: Michelin AC10 110/100-18

run great
Leipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 AM   #39904
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwsandman View Post
Going to try this out as it seemed to be the most pain free way for all involved. I wanted to offer some t-shirts, and this is what I came up with:https://www.booster.com/sandmanparts...81390438907220

If 20 people buy shirts, they get printed and shipped. I did my best to keep the costs as cheap as they would let me and still have a two color print on front and back with a nice quality T-shirt and have a wide variety of sizes for all.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, and as always, thanks for all the support!

My apologies for the spam.

-Ivan

Cool shirt - just ordered.

I'm just getting started on a WRX build and will order a Sandman Case Saver.
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 AM   #39905
bamagator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
Yes - I'm about your size and have traveled extensively on a WRR. Gearing is important. For my situation, 13-45 w/ 130 Mefo Explorer rear tire (Metzeler Karoo T up front) works well. I'm typically carrying 40- 50 lbs of gear.

It's important to establish and manage your expectations before buying and setting up your bike. Under most conditions, the WRR will go 70-75 mph all day long on the highway. Heavy winds and steep grades (or both) can slow you down and may require a downshift. I remember one trip heading south in to Flagstaff from Utah, we hit 50 mph headwinds - could barely maintain 60 mph in 4th gear on some of the steeper grades. Those headwinds turned in to side winds when we turned west. It was a long, tough ride in to Las Vegas. Passing cars and trucks on 2-lane will also require more patience than it would on a 650 class bike.
Thanks!! Exactly what I was asking....much appreciated.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:26 AM   #39906
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
WR owners..... I'm a 6'2" 250lb+ guy. Dumb arse ? For basic trail riding and country 2 lane roads (55mph or less), is this uber cool steel stallion gonna support my linebacker body style buttocks? And with some light soft luggage for a 1-3 day ride.
I'm the same size (6'2" and 240 right out of the shower) and have geared the bike for mostly off road (12-45; you probably don't want to go that low). I have ridden it on everything from single track to the interstate with a pretty full GL bag packed with gear for four days.

On occasion (usually long or steep Hills or really slow technical bits off road, and the new gearing helps with both of these) I wish for more grunt, but the bike is more than capable for the type of riding you describe. On the plus side, I love the FI, six speed gear box, solid rear sub frame, reliability of the WRR, and great aftermarket options. Every bike is a compromise, but for dual sporting I've decided to stick with my WRR (aka put money into mods) rather than switch to another bike.

Hope this helps.
thebugslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 AM   #39907
vwsandman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Thumb Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
Cool shirt - just ordered.

I'm just getting started on a WRX build and will order a Sandman Case Saver.
Thanks for the support!
vwsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:57 AM   #39908
Leipo
'08 wr250r

still happy with my case saver
Old 01-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #39909
dazler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Hi guys Im looking for a bike cover and found this
http://www.carscover.com/Yamaha-WR25...-SP7967NB.html
would you say is ok or should I look for something else

Environment: Desert with the hateful dirt like dust that get everywhere.

also what bike stand would be a sturdy one for uneven terrain, as I don't have asphalt or flat hard surface outside the house, mostly rocks/pebbles.

Thanks.
dazler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #39910
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipo View Post
still happy with my case saver

Just ordered a case saver..looks nice ...we will see...

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #39911
Leipo
'08 wr250r

I looked and i've got my case saver now for almost 4 years already

luckily I never really needed it (thank god!), but it is also very nice to be able to see the state of the front sprocket whenever I want

you can see the cover on my picture on the previous page
Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #39912
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,778
Case saver was one of first things I bought for mine. Only been off once since I have had it to change upfront sprocket. :

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #39913
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by grw800 View Post
Hey y'all-
I'm been having an intermittent problem with my 2011 WR250R. I started a thread over on the forumotion WR250 site, so I'll just post up the same info in hopes that someone here has had the same problem. Here's the story so far, copied from my three posts in the forumotion thread:

2011 WRR, completely stock, no engine/airbox/pipe mods. I've had an intermittent problem lately with the bike cutting out. It will lose power just like I had hit the kill switch, then come back on within a second or two. It is very regular, just like thumbing the kill switch on and off at a regular interval. It seems to happen in spells, doing it for a few minutes, and then will run normally again. Giving it throttle seems to trigger the cutting out symptom; it's as if twisting the throttle cuts power to the ignition and/or fuel injection system. If I try to hold the throttle steady, it will run OK. I've had the problem happen now with three different tankfuls of gas, and it has happened with a nearly-full tank as well as almost empty. If I let off the throttle it will idle just fine. Today it happened a few times, and each time I stopped, shut it off, and let it sit for a couple of minutes. It restarted right away every time and ran fine for a bit and then acted up again. On my way home I filled up with gas and rode to the house at WOT for several miles on the highway with no problems. Thoughts?

Thanks for the replies. I have read about the connector behind the radiator, and I checked that tonight. There are actually four connectors there. I made sure they were all connected securely, and wiggled/cleaned them in case there was a bad connection. I also ran the self diagnostics and found no problem there. I'll do a test ride tomorrow.
I had just cleaned my air filter today before riding, so I think that rules out a dirty air filter.

Still acting up. Road test today:
Rode 20 miles on highway, 45-75 mph, no problems.
3 miles on dirt road, 25-40 mph, no problems.
Shut off for 20 minutes.
Returned on same dirt road, started cutting out just like before. It's like hitting the kill switch and then back on right away, ranging from 1/2 to 2 seconds. It did this for about two miles.
When I got back to the highway I turned it off and sat for 1 minute.
Fired it up, rode 8 miles on highway 55-65 mph, no problems.
Started cutting out again on highway @ 45 mph, did it for a couple of miles.
Parked bike for 45 minutes.
Six miles on highway @ 65-70 mph, no problems.
2 miles on dirt, cutting out again.

When it is having the spells of cutting out, I can let off the throttle and it idles fine, never dies.
During the spells, if I make a conscious effort to NOT give it any throttle, it will run smoothly for the most part and cut out very little.
Tank was nearly full today. Ambient temp in the 70s.

???????

The bike has 12,500 miles on it. No fault code. Any ideas?
Take apart your kill switch and clean the contacts. Might want to change your spark plug. Check both battery connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwsandman View Post
Going to try this out as it seemed to be the most pain free way for all involved. I wanted to offer some t-shirts, and this is what I came up with:https://www.booster.com/sandmanparts...81390438907220

If 20 people buy shirts, they get printed and shipped. I did my best to keep the costs as cheap as they would let me and still have a two color print on front and back with a nice quality T-shirt and have a wide variety of sizes for all.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, and as always, thanks for all the support!

My apologies for the spam.

-Ivan
I want a pocket version in 4X

Quote:
Check my ride reports. Short answer, yes...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #39914
Gregulator
Loves the dirt

Oddometer: 229
Talking Yahoo! Time to ride ANYWHERE

I am now an owner of a WR!
We drove 675 miles in a day to go pick it up in Idaho, but every time I look at it I'm thrilled to re-realize it's actually mine and I finally have a proper (enough) dirtbike. Thanks again for the advice on transporting it in a minivan, it worked very well (2008 Toyota Sienna). We just took off the handguards, rotated the handlebars down, and disconnected the little brake hose brace on the fork to keep the brake line from hitting the ceiling.

I somehow didn't take a decent picture of it while riding it today, but here's one of the seller's pics.

The skidplate has a killer buzz at some RPM (no weird sounds with it off), so I'm going to try the bicycle innertube method that fixed the XT250's skidplate noise.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to give Washington state a good for the $500 it took to transfer the title and register. Sheesh.
Gregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #39915
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,158
Congrats on the new bike.
Blue Safari tank too... Still waiting for mine...

Looks like your ready to go... Have fun

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote