Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #706
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,698
A GPS doesn't draw enough current to worry about even with the backlight on.

HighFive and Krabill, good report on the WR250R. I was seriously considering one. I had a '06 Husky TE250 which was awesome but just too much bike for my dual sport riding (too tall seat and short geared mainly). I ended up with a highly modified '07 KLX250S (pumper carb, airbox mods, FMF Q4, WER steering damper, etc). I sat on a WR-R but it was a little tall for me. I gotta admit I kinda had flashbacks to my old DR-Z400S when sitting on it, would have liked to take it for a ride to prove me wrong. Price was a little steep for me too.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #707
gordo5
Roadkill

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Yeah...I know. It just made since & kind of stuck. I just wish I could type it correctly for "R-Squared". We need an R with the half-raised 2 made into a symbol that can be posted into this little box, over here on the right with all the smiley's. Just saying....
HF
Thanks a lot for the awesome write up! I was 95% decided after I had a chance for a very short test ride (on trails) last weekend. You and you're buddy have pushed me over the top on my decision regarding RČ! I just wish winter isn't so soon.

Sorry for your loss, sounds like your Dad was a dude
gordo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #708
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,637
Thanks, TBIRDSP. A suped up KLX250 would be good anytime. I'm with Krabill regarding that Big Bore kit. Would love to feel that on it. May do that to my son's bike some day....after he turns 16 next year. BUT...if Yama really does drop R3 on the market, I'd probably snatch that (even for big $$) and let him play on R2. I think it would still win. But that would make another nice shootout. Hhhmmmm......someday, just maybe.

He still wants to ride R2 bad....real bad. I still won't let him. Life's hard.

By the way, I lowered R2 with the stock shock adjustment. Took me a little bit to figure out where & how. Then....duh....that was easy! The bottom of the shock as an extended thread. You just spin the forked shock mount around on the thread until you take up all the slack. Then re-bolt to swingarm & dogbones. Simply brilliant!

Anyway, that 1" is a HUGE move downward. I did this when the stock Bridgestones were on it. Now, it felt too low. And I was considering going back up halfway. Then, my D606's came in. Spooned those babies on for the Single Track Test and I was right back up where I started. And very happy with it.

Bottom line, anyone thinking they can't climb aboard R2 cause its too tall, hasn't tried it with the 1" adjustment lowered from stock shock mount. They've got it dialed to fit everyone tall to small. I'm 5-9 with 32" inseam. Not sure why all the blue lowering links are being used. But with that option, you can put seat height anywhere you want from about 34" to 36" with tiny micro adjustments all in between.

Never had one this flexible. All the floor models I've seen have come out of crate at the highest setting. Do not be thwarted by that issue or feeling at the store. Don't let that influence you away from the bike, if you think you like it otherwise. Its no problem to get it where you want it.

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 10-11-2008 at 02:16 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #709
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo5
Thanks a lot for the awesome write up! I was 95% decided after I had a chance for a very short test ride (on trails) last weekend. You and you're buddy have pushed me over the top on my decision regarding RČ! I just wish winter isn't so soon.

Sorry for your loss, sounds like your Dad was a dude
Aaahhh DUDE! How did you do that? You the MAN ! !

Now, fess up.... I need the proper R2 symbol.

HF
Old 10-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #710
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,388
Quote:

HF
Easy, like this:

RČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČ

MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #711
gordo5
Roadkill

Quote:

HF
morriswf is right. Only way I know how to put it in a post is by copying it from somewhere else and pasting it. I just found an ascii chart like this one:

http://www.nationalfinder.com/html/char-asc.htm

and copied it from there to paste into my post. Nothin' special. PM me if that sense doesn't make.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #712
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax
I run a GPS478 on my 990. I'm thinking of running that on the R2 (there's that name again!) using a flat-mount Touratech.
  1. Can the bike's electrical system handle the GPS output or will it drain the battery dead (only while running of course)? I'm thinking of using the 12V Hardwire Kit.
  2. Am I going to have success utilizing my flat-mount GPS mount on the cross-bars of the stock handle-bars? This isn't a forever solution, just for a few weekend rides this year. Flat-Mount for GPS.
  3. Any better solutions out there for this?
Thanks!
I've heard something crazy like 300 watts available for "extras". Think Montessa knows all the scoop on this. Anyway, that's an awful big apparatus you're looking at tying on to the handlebar. That Tourtech thing is huge! Must be some big GPS unit. I run with a Garmin 60CSX and use a ball mount. Doesn't use hardly any space.

There's NO vibration to worry about hurting any Garmin GPS. Not sure you really need a vibration cushion apparatus but that might be only way to mount your bad boy. I donno.

Regarding electrical connections, I do have a strong bias. Once bought a used bike that had the little snap-lock in BMW Style Power Plug. Wow, those are small and dead-solid tight. Fell in love with it, and began converting all my other units over to that. It looks like this (when naked):

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/d=Fir...jumpToFirst=t/

Just run some plain, quality wire direct to your battery, and include a 10 amp blade fuse somewhere in line (probably near battery). Tie ground from BMW Plug to frame near steering stem. Lots of ways and neat little places you can mount the small plug. Personally, I haven't messed with it yet on R2. But I will very soon and post up pics.

This way, you get maximum flexibility for power useage. Yes, you have to buy the power plug adapter to go from you Garmin to the BMW outlet. But you'll love the snap lock. And then, still be able to plug in some heated gloves, an Ipod, a coffee maker, tent heater......its endless.

But you're electrical link looked nice too. Just rather single purpose built.
HF
Old 10-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #713
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriswf
Easy, like this:

RČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČRČ

You dirty dog! I've got to get more sophisticated.....

HF
Old 10-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #714
gordo5
Roadkill

Quote:
I've heard something crazy like 300 watts available for "extras".
Quote from this page:

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...p=M#contentTop

"Lightweight, compact "rare-earth-type" ACM (Alternative Current Magnet … 14V & 350W output ) is used."

I agree with Montessa. A GPS would sip power. With this bikes output I'm sure you could run some heated gear , at least until you get to the trails!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #715
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Thumb RČ at last!

I finally got it. Duh. Knew I was making it too complicated. Had to go out back and ride a few laps on RČ around my wimpy Mx track.

That got me back into the RČ spirit.

Super Kudos to Gordo & Morris.

But, can I skip making edits to all the R2's in the Shootout? Let's just move forward....

HFČ
Old 10-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #716
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 812
Thanks HF.

I am running the Garmin 478 - it has a nice screen so I don't have to squint at it. A buddy of mine has a Garmin GPSMap 76CSx and he hates trying to make out what he's looking at.

Anyhow, I'll give it a try and see how it goes on an upcoming weekend ride. I'm absolutely horrible with directions so riding w/o a GPS really is like a stab in the dark for me. I get lost in my own home town!

I have the 478 hard wired on the 990 and I'm going to do the same on the utilizing the brown cutoff which turns on and off with the key. I'll report back after I give it a go.

-Pax

Quote:
I've heard something crazy like 300 watts available for "extras". Think Montessa knows all the scoop on this. Anyway, that's an awful big apparatus you're looking at tying on to the handlebar. That Tourtech thing is huge! Must be some big GPS unit. I run with a Garmin 60CSX and use a ball mount. Doesn't use hardly any space. ...

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #717
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,976
Whoa! I missed this thread for a few days and just caught up. Wow! What a lot a great posts!!

HF and Krabill, really excellent job on the reports!
Much better write-ups than I see in most of the dirt rags these days. I for one really appreciate your detailed reviews and really do understand how much time and effort it takes to do them, but it's fun too, right?

HF very sorry to hear about your Dad.

HF and Krabill you pretty well summed up my feelings I've had when riding the RČ. From the first time I rode it I knew this was going to be a special bike and possibly the best dual sport bike ever. The smooth engine, well behaved EFI, great handling and nice seat go a long way to making this bike one of the most comfortable dual sports I've ever ridden.

I am very seriously thinking of getting a second RČ just for me -- or confiscate this one since I've already beat it, and get her a new shiny one! My RXV550, much as I love that monster, would end up sitting more than I'd like I'm sure, but I won't sell it, yet. It still has it uses for fast rally riding (120mph!) and as one of the all-time most fun sand bikes with a paddle tire ever. That's where the power comes into it's own and where you need all the power you can get.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277182
I've yet to take the RČ to the big sand but I think it would do quite well there in most conditions.

When I went trail riding on the RČ with the faster guys on bigger bikes, I'm sure I actually had more fun because the RČ is such a pleasure to ride on and offroad. I would have no hesitation at all to take the RČ on a long dual sport run of hundreds of miles, or run the Transcontinental trail. I'll bet the RČ could probably do the entire Baja 1000 IronMan with just tire changes and zero maintenance. Sure you may not be in the top 10 but again I'd bet it would finish respectably. I think the RČ could do a 1000 mile paved road day (being I'm one of those IronButt types) and just might for the hell of it -- and I'll bet it wouldn't be too bad. My KTM990S is still the road king and eats up 1000 mile days, but it is a Nimitz-class dualie and too damn expensive to drop offroad.

When the local posse emails or calls "lets ride" (and no trailers allowed) I'd have to say right now I'd be itching to grab the RČ over the other bikes in the garage, even for an all day-or 2-day true dual-sport.

RČ Rocks!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #718
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,976
BTW, the RČ runs my Gerbing heated vest and Garmin 276C GPS just fine and would likely easily handle heated grips too. Most EFI bikes these days have good alternators for the fuel pump, ECU and injectors and usually plenty of extra watts to play with.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #719
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriswf
LOL, I was thinkin' wheel swap. But I"m a rattle can guy...so I hear that...just have to grow some nuts to paint a "new" motorcycle.
Wheeling Cycle Supply now has black OEM plastic in stock!

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/s...=119&offset=10
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #720
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
So very sorry to hear about your dad HF,

Just wanted to say thank you for your shootout posts, the R2
is just a crap load of fun in my book. Had it back up in the woods
around here again today and took it up an insane hillclimb
under the redwoods that petered out to a dead end up in the brush.

No problems, backed it around and just rode back down it and on
to more!

BTW:

Word I've heard is that Athena is just about ready to roll out a new 300
big bore kit for the WRR/X any time now...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=685226

scottmac screwed with this post 10-11-2008 at 08:00 PM
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote