Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #736
NashvegasNeal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiUly
Got my WRR dirty yesterday, now I know I won't miss the Buell too much at all. Still have a bike for the street.

Anyways...I'm a little confused about something.

First, I noticed that people changed first oil at 50miles?
Is that due to the small motor and small amount of oil that it carries?
Already have 130 something miles on mine.

On page 8-1 in the manual it says to use 10w 30 or 20w 40 depending on climate.

These are odd ball weights to me, not sure I have even seen them before.

Seems most people are going 10w 40, for summer here probably 20w 50.

Did they just mess up in the book?

The drawing on 6-15 shows 10w-40 on an API label, but they are using it to show not to use oils with a CD rating or Energy Conserving ll rating.

Also, do you really use the bleed bolt to check for oil pressure or take it on faith? Never had a vehicle not get oil pressure back after a change.

An oil pressure light would have been nice.

Changed mine @ 1000miles
10/40 synthetic
no oil with CD rating or Energy Conserving II rating cause the clutch is lubricated by the motor oil.
I use the bleed bolt for piece of mind. I don't wanna wish I did.
NashvegasNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #737
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,632
Quote:
Hate to ask again but... what weight oil are you all using?

The book has me a little puzzled (see post above) and I'm ready to do the first change.

Can't believe I'm asking an oil question, but there you have it.

Thanks.
Big Congrats, MiamiUly! In time, you're gonna love it.

The early oil change is ONLY necessary if you use the "Motoman" break-in method...or even harder. Just Google a link and read all about it. But, too late for you now. Not to Fret. The rest of us will wait on you at all the turns, if ever riding together someday.

Any decent oil is fine....really. So many get so worked up about oil type & specs. I'm likely the only degreed Petroluem Engineer in the lot. Was even Plant Engineer at a real Lubricants Plant that blended & packaged motor oil. I could talk hours on end about it. I bought 10W40 in whatever brand was on sale the day I was in the store. Put exactly what is stamped on the sidecase right by the sight gauge....I think it was 1300 cc. Changed the filter too, of course. The final level came out PERFECT.

You can change any time you like, but probably don't need to until 500 - 600 miles, since you're likely "babying" her. Don't sweat it. You're probably fine running 10W40 year round. Don't recommend running any synthetics until your past a couple thousand miles.

Enjoy!

HF
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #738
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Its all true....same as everything I've said.
Got the inside scoop...appreciate it.

BTW, Thank You for your service! Put it on your calendar. When you get back, we'll meet and ride our Rs together somewhere good....like Colorado.
Plan on it!HF
Deal. We're heading west to do a loop of the US when I get back...so we'll see if I can't swing it...I need to ride. Though I'm probably better on a BMX than R....you might get bored.

Thanks for the offer. I'm bit by wanderlust, so we shall see... Oh and I appreciate your appreciation, It's all good, thanks again.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #739
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Big Congrats, MiamiUly! In time, you're gonna love it.

The early oil change is ONLY necessary if you use the "Motoman" break-in method...or even harder. Just Google a link and read all about it. But, too late for you now. Not to Fret. The rest of us will wait on you at all the turns, if ever riding together someday.

Any decent oil is fine....really. So many get so worked up about oil type & specs. I'm likely the only degreed Petroluem Engineer in the lot. Was even Plant Engineer at a real Lubricants Plant that blended & packaged motor oil. I could talk hours on end about it. I bought 10W40 in whatever brand was on sale the day I was in the store. Put exactly what is stamped on the sidecase right by the sight gauge....I think it was 1300 cc. Changed the filter too, of course. The final level came out PERFECT.

You can change any time you like, but probably don't need to until 500 - 600 miles, since you're likely "babying" her. Don't sweat it. You're probably fine running 10W40 year round. Don't recommend running any synthetics until your past a couple thousand miles.

Enjoy!

HF

Thanks guys.

I usually don't stress the oil questions but the manual confused me a bit.
I got the no modifiers part but the weights they showed were odd to me.

I bought 10w 40 dino anyways.

I already LOVE the bike, rode a little off road yesterday and am definitely doing more of the motoman thing.
No babying, she will live a good life and improve mine at the same time.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #740
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Now that it has a little character, here is a picture.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #741
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,155
I love my WR250R. Glad so many others now have the bug too.

Next mods are:

- putting on my Bullet Proof Designs radiator guard
- putting on my Yamalink
- and considering a trip to Factory Connection to help me get the suspension better tuned to my riding style.

Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #742
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,225
What a bike!

I must say after reading everyone's posts it is more and more apparent that this bike really can do a lot. I use the bike mostly for commuting to work but I like to get out and do some light touring and trail riding when I can. I won't go in to too much detail but I am going to post a couple of pictures of my first camping/hunting trip on this bike. I live in Colorado (NICE!) and don't have to go far for some great riding.

I loaded the R2 up with all my backpacking gear and headed up to my family's hunting camp. I bought a rack from cycleracks.com. This thing is a little big but I laid the bike down twice and the combination of the rear rack and hand guards kept even the smallest of scratches off the bike!

I had 2 gallons of extra gas strapped to the rack with my weatherproof gear bag on top. You can't really see the gas tank but here is a link to the tank I bought http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...roducts_id=999. This thing fit on top of the rack like a glove and did not get in the way at all. I bought an explorer lite tank bag from Wolfman (thanks for the idea NoVector) which I was VERY happy with on the road and on the trails.

All in all I had about 50 lbs of gear total (too much) and the bike did good. I weigh about 195-200 lbs with my gear on and I am 5'11". There is one 20 mile stretch of road where the speed limit is 65mph and I was able to do between 70 and 75mph indicated in 5th gear with no problem. The bike did not feel like it was working too hard at all. A different story on some of the old hunting roads... I need to gear this thing down! That is easy though and is actually what I am doing next. Thanks to everyone for all the information on this bike, I am very happy with my purchase.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #743
NashvegasNeal
Adventurer

Great reviews!

The reviews from wr250r owners have been outstanding! Its good to hear that there are really no major negatives to this bike. This WR just might be one of those bikes you here about for years to come. I feel great about my buy!
Now if they would build less of them so value will hold we will have the perfect do-it-all bike.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #744
NashvegasNeal
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train
I must say after reading everyone's posts it is more and more apparent that this bike really can do a lot. I use the bike mostly for commuting to work but I like to get out and do some light touring and trail riding when I can. I won't go in to too much detail but I am going to post a couple of pictures of my first camping/hunting trip on this bike. I live in Colorado (NICE!) and don't have to go far for some great riding.

I loaded the R2 up with all my backpacking gear and headed up to my family's hunting camp. I bought a rack from cycleracks.com. This thing is a little big but I laid the bike down twice and the combination of the rear rack and hand guards kept even the smallest of scratches off the bike!

I had 2 gallons of extra gas strapped to the rack with my weatherproof gear bag on top. You can't really see the gas tank but here is a link to the tank I bought http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...roducts_id=999. This thing fit on top of the rack like a glove and did not get in the way at all. I bought an explorer lite tank bag from Wolfman (thanks for the idea NoVector) which I was VERY happy with on the road and on the trails.

All in all I had about 50 lbs of gear total (too much) and the bike did good. I weigh about 195-200 lbs with my gear on and I am 5'11". There is one 20 mile stretch of road where the speed limit is 65mph and I was able to do between 70 and 75mph indicated in 5th gear with no problem. The bike did not feel like it was working too hard at all. A different story on some of the old hunting roads... I need to gear this thing down! That is easy though and is actually what I am doing next. Thanks to everyone for all the information on this bike, I am very happy with my purchase.

Damn, where did YOU sit?!
Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #745
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriswf
Not that I can see...they're the same. Some missing data on the site, but here's the link to 2008 to 2009 comparo ( if it doesn't work go to Yamaha Sport Moto's home, 2009 street motorycle line, choose the WR250R and then click the specs tab and dropdown menu to compaire it to the 2008:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...0/compare.aspx

2009 WR250R

2008 WR250R

Engine2009 WR250R

2008 WR250R

Bore x Stroke77.0 x 53.6mm77.0 x 53.6mm
CarburetionFuel injectionFuel injection
Compression Ratio11.8:111.8:1
Final DriveChainChain
IgnitionDirect ignition coilDirect ignition coil
TransmissionConstant-mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet clutchConstant-mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Type250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke;4 valves250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke;4 valves
Chassis2009 WR250R

2008 WR250R

Brakes/FrontHydraulic single-disc brake, 250mmHydraulic single-disc brake, 250mm
Brakes/RearHydraulic single-disc brake, 230mmHydraulic single-disc brake, 230mm
Suspension/FrontInverted fork; fully adjustable, 10.6-in travelInverted fork; fully adjustable, 10.6-in travel
Suspension/RearSingle shock; fully adjustable, 10.6-in travelSingle shock; fully adjustable, 10.4-in travel
Tires/Front80/100-2180/100-21
Tires/Rear120/80-18120/80-18
Dimensions2009 WR250R

2008 WR250R

Dry WeightSpec Not Available276 lb (CA 278 lb)
Fuel Capacity2.0 gal2.0 gal
Fuel Economy**71 mpg71 mpg
Ground Clearance11.8 in11.8 in
Height48.4 in48.4 in
Length85.6 in85.6 in
Seat Height36.6 in36.6 in
Wet Weight295 lb (CA 297 lb)Spec Not Available
Wheelbase55.9 in55.9 in
Width31.9 in31.9 in
Other2009 WR250R

2008 WR250R

Warranty1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
MSRP*$6,090 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from September 2008

$5,899 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from January 2008
I see 2 differences. First $191, this isn't a good thing,and second .2 inches more rear wheel travel. This can only be a good thing.

Does Yamaha still have that financing deal?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #746
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,225
I wondered how that was going to work at first also... pictures are worse than they look for seating room. I completed roughly 150 miles for the day with one stop. Not bad with a stock seat.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #747
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
I finally got around to doing my post-break-in oil change. While your old oil apparently looked like it just squirted out of a bee's arse , mine looked like this:

Now THAT'S what I expect "treat it like it owes you money" break-in oil to look like. I had 53 miles on the clock. Note the yummy looking "brain" pattern formed by the particulates in the oil. Mmmmmm .

Oh, and one last note: Even though I changed the filter too, it only took 1.2L of oil, but the book says it should take nearly 1.5L. The motor was hot to the touch when I did the change and the oil ran like water, so it wasn't an issue of thick oil not draining out entirely. Are others finding the same thing?

-NoVector
That is about what my oil looked like at 140 miles or so.

Didn't have a filter yet, so I changed the oil anyway.

Will get a filter and do another change in 100 miles or so or after a good dirt ride.

I over filled a little too and tried to judge for not doing the filter.
It's just over the sight glass from what I can tell, irritates me but shouldn't be enough to be a problem.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #748
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,382
Any thoughts on the larger gas tank for the R2? I found one on the same site as that bigger gas can. Can't find it now...will look tomorrow...

I'm a lazy F. I don't like stopping for gas...not to mention a 250 mile range has saved my ass before...
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #749
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
I think there's an extra capacity tank being made over in Australia
right now. Problem is that there's an internal fuel pump needed inside
the tank for the FI.

That's going to make a replacement one a pricey bugger!
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #750
NashvegasNeal
Adventurer

Quote:
That is about what my oil looked like at 140 miles or so.

Didn't have a filter yet, so I changed the oil anyway.

Will get a filter and do another change in 100 miles or so or after a good dirt ride.

I over filled a little too and tried to judge for not doing the filter.
It's just over the sight glass from what I can tell, irritates me but shouldn't be enough to be a problem.

looks just like mine did after 1000miles. don't forget to check chain tension.