User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #7561
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
Clean is a state of mind.

Getting ready for my three day Big Sur trip.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #7562
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
I really did think people were joking when they started asking me, "how do you keep your bike so clean?" But, I've received quite a few PMs over quite a while asking the same thing. Consequently, I finally stopped riding long enough to document the process.
I call it not being lazy. I know what it is called, but I have not figured out the execution yet.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #7563
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac
Clean is a state of mind.

Getting ready for my three day Big Sur trip.
Might I suggest using Rok Straps or cam buckle tie downs instead of bungees? Bungees can't hold up to washboard roads, off road, etc., and you will likely loose your stuff after a few miles of that sort of thing.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #7564
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Got out into the woods today.

Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #7565
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
The Big Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
hey WR guys - show me some "pack Mule" pictures. I'd like to see the WR loaded for a long adventure
Ready for Touring Duty... She ships out to her new home in Las Vegas tomorrow.

Will accomodate a 1 or 2 gallon RotoPax. Locking mount is pretty trick too...

Here it is w/ the 2 Gallon RotoPax... (for AK trip)

Windscreen (Slipstreamer Spitfire) works very well and is quickly removable for off roading.

The stock WRR is surprisingly stable for a small dual-sport. The Scotts damper makes it even more so, plus it's great to have for fast or more knarly off-roading. The Garmin mount is a locking & suspended Touratech unit. The crossbar is made by Enduro Engineering.

Happy Trails Panniers are also quickly removable for off-roading. I often carry a laptop and other expensive equipment so I like having lockable storage for long trips. For multi day off-road rides, I will use Ortlieb "Dry Bag" SaddleBags. The Happy Trails racks and bags are robust and well engineered - installed with minimal difficulty or fittiment issues.

One of the best upgrades you can make on a WRR is the FMF Q4 / PowerBomb / PowerProgrammer (set to Krabill's code) and Krabill's airbox mods & AIS removal (Thanks Krabill & HF for all of the great suggestions and direction). It really makes a huge difference. I am currently running stock gearing for optimal highway running. Before all of the mods, it would run out of steam running uphill in 6th. Now, that is pretty rare. The Q4 is a little loud, but given all of its benefit I can live with the noise.

Flatland Racing Skidplate...

Plug for Gerbings Heated Jacket & Gloves...

Battery Tender Plug...

My first real off-road excursion on the WRR will be the LA-Barstow-Vegas Dual-Sport ride in late November. This ride will help me shake out any off-road issues such as gearing, ergos, suspension, etc. I'm heading up to Moab in early spring. In July, I'm meeting some friends (on their return trip from AK) in Glacier NP to spend a few days riding in MT and ID.

I have been following this thread since the beginning. The WRR is indeed a pretty special bike. It transcends the sum of its specs for sure. Many thanks to all of you for your posts, experiences, opinions, R&D, etc. Special thanks to Skierd for letting me ride his WRR (3 days prior to his epic TAT trip!) - that ride sealed my decision to buy & build up a WRR. You guys rock!

mtntrails screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 03:59 AM
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #7566
Iceveign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thats a wicked setup Mnttrails. looking forward to your trip report.
Iceveign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #7567
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,721
I was able to get out today too, took some very cool narrow gravels thru a valley, it was a very nice ride. I can't wait for another day to go a bit further on the route I laid out.

Here's what I know I still need:

- DS Helmet: Looking strongly at the new Joe Rocket Hybrid by HJC. that 5pm sun here in the midwest is killer without a visor, and needed the goggles on a few of the roads from dust.

- Warmer Gloves: Leaning towards Klim Inversion. Heated Grips? Are they worth the $$ or over-rated?

- Warmer socks: I wore some thick boot socks but my feet as the sun started to go down were getting a little bit chilled, not to bad but need something more thermal.

....have I told you how I love this bike!!

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #7568
acab888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails
Ready for Touring Duty... She ships out to her new home in Las Vegas tomorrow.

Will accomodate a 1 or 2 gallon RotoPax. Locking mount is pretty trick too...

Here it is w/ the 2 Gallon RotoPax... (for AK trip)

The stock WRR is surprisingly stable for a small dual-sport. The Scotts damper makes it even more so, plus it's great to have for fast or more knarly off-roading. The Garmin mount is a locking & suspended Touratech unit. The crossbar is made by Enduro Engineering.

One of the best upgrades you can make on a WRR is the FMF Q4 / PowerBomb / PowerProgrammer (set to Krabill's code) and Krabill's airbox mods & AIS removal (Thanks Krabill & HF for all of the great suggestions and direction). It really makes a huge difference. I am currently running stock gearing for optimal highway running. Before all of the mods, it would run out of steam running uphill in 6th. Now, that is pretty rare. The Q4 is a little loud, but given all of its benefit I can live with the noise.

extremely nice bike!!!and the happy trails looks very good,do you have any problem with these?
i have the same setup (q4 powerbomb/powerprogrammer) and i have PP at 3-5-0.5-8-4-4 (http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-gui...ting/71-dyno2). i think that works fine.
acab888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #7569
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
I was able to get out today too, took some very cool narrow gravels thru a valley, it was a very nice ride. I can't wait for another day to go a bit further on the route I laid out.

Here's what I know I still need:

- DS Helmet: Looking strongly at the new Joe Rocket Hybrid by HJC. that 5pm sun here in the midwest is killer without a visor, and needed the goggles on a few of the roads from dust.

- Warmer Gloves: Leaning towards Klim Inversion. Heated Grips? Are they worth the $$ or over-rated?

- Warmer socks: I wore some thick boot socks but my feet as the sun started to go down were getting a little bit chilled, not to bad but need something more thermal.

....have I told you how I love this bike!!
You won't regret the heated grips. They're one of my favorite mods. BIG "bang-for-the-buck."
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:54 AM   #7570
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by acab888
extremely nice bike!!!and the happy trails looks very good,do you have any problem with these?
i have the same setup (q4 powerbomb/powerprogrammer) and i have PP at 3-5-0.5-8-4-4 (http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-gui...ting/71-dyno2). i think that works fine.
Thank you - Yes, those are the PowerProgrammer settings I used - they are spot on. I have only ridden ~400 miles with the HappyTrails panniers on the WRR. I had them on a DR650 and they hold up extremely well. The newer mounting system is a big improvement.
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #7571
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,487
Hey ya'll--I don't think there are any pending questions on here--so I've got one.

First, Mtntrails, whoa. That's some setup.

I ran the Shenandoah 300 this weekend--what a hoot, bike was perfect for me and ran great even though I abused the shit out of it with 1 crash on asphalt the day prior and 3 on dirt--one of which was bad enough that I didn't know the month or what state I was in.

All 4 low sides on the right, stupid errors--and I finally bent the bars. By the way--for barkbusters I'm running Cycras with the triple clamp mount.

So, most durable bars. Do I need to change from 7/8ths? I see a bunch of recommendations on Thumpertalk...but not a lot of discussion about why.

Primary for me is durability. I'll work out the comfort question second, if you're willing to answer both, awesome!
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #7572
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,791
Just something to think about . . . if the bars are strong enough to NOT bend . . . what else will?

I'd rather replace a cheap set of bars than a triple clamp and a couple forks. Just sayin'
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #7573
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Just something to think about . . . if the bars are strong enough to NOT bend . . . what else will?

I'd rather replace a cheap set of bars than a triple clamp and a couple forks. Just sayin'

Thanks for the reality check. I think I might have bent that other stuff too. It just doesn't look straight...didn't have time to look at it really well. yet. Tonight and Thursday night...thanks for the insight.

I'd rather bend the bars. I'll look at the Pro Tapers...
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #7574
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill

+1
Old 10-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #7575
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 812
BentBarMan,

Tip o' the week.

It is possible that when you whacked the bars, that you *twisted* the forks and the triple mount. I've done this a couple times and "repaired" the bike trailsie as follows:
  1. Pull up to a fixed object such as a telephone pole and align your front wheel NEXT TO the pole.
  2. WHACK the side of the wheel against the pole by swinging the tire into the pole. Don't hold back.
  3. Repeat as necessary. If the bike still seems out of true, you can loosen the triple mounts and the wheel just a bit as well and repeat step 2.
I'm sure this is NOT the right way to do this, but when you are out on the trail and you are staring down a wonky-front end, this can be a way to get a much more comfortable ride position quick.

-Pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
Thanks for the reality check. I think I might have bent that other stuff too. It just doesn't look straight...didn't have time to look at it really well. yet. Tonight and Thursday night...thanks for the insight.

I'd rather bend the bars. I'll look at the Pro Tapers...

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote