Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #7576
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,795
A better way than smacking your tire up against a telephone pole would be to actually loosen everything up front - axle nut, triple clamps, etc., and then just wiggle everything back to center and re-tighten.
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #7577
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 812
Hey, I'm thinking fast and dirty, baby!

...but yeah, I agree that loosening everything is more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
A better way than smacking your tire up against a telephone pole would be to actually loosen everything up front - axle nut, triple clamps, etc., and then just wiggle everything back to center and re-tighten.

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #7578
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,522
Thanks Pax, and Fast.

I'm tough on stuff...like with the tire change and the tube.

I'm looking at the bars online now. I guess I have to change out all the switchgear if I go with a bigger bar...and are my HotGrips a thing of the past?
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #7579
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
Thanks Pax, and Fast.

I'm tough on stuff...like with the tire change and the tube.

I'm looking at the bars online now. I guess I have to change out all the switchgear if I go with a bigger bar...and are my HotGrips a thing of the past?
No need to switch grips/perches going to bigger diameter bars - they're tapered. Your stock stuff will cross over
easily, you'll just need larger diameter clamps.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #7580
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac
No need to switch grips/perches going to bigger diameter bars - they're tapered. Your stock stuff will cross over
easily, you'll just need larger diameter clamps.
Hence the name I say, laughing at myself.

That's a relief. OK, cool. So if I order the Pro-Tapers I need to still buy the replacement 7/8 (Left) grip--if I can't get it off by insulating and heating it.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #7581
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
Hence the name I say, laughing at myself.

That's a relief. OK, cool. So if I order the Pro-Tapers I need to still buy the replacement 7/8 (Left) grip--if I can't get it off by insulating and heating it.
I dunno about heated grips but the air compressor trick is great for getting even glued on grips off cleanly and ready for re-use.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #7582
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Just something to think about . . . if the bars are strong enough to NOT bend . . . what else will?

I'd rather replace a cheap set of bars than a triple clamp and a couple forks. Just sayin'
I agree with Pax. The next thing that will happen is that the forks will spin in the triple clamps. I would defiantly say that you should loosen everything up before you try to straighten it out.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #7583
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist
I dunno about heated grips but the air compressor trick is great for getting even glued on grips off cleanly and ready for re-use.
Hhhmm....not me. I don't re-use old grips (anymore), regardless of their condition. Let's just say I learned that the hard way during a Trials event.

Grips are relatively cheap. I like em TIGHT. I don't like grips coming loose and twisting around or off the bar. And that always seems to happen whenever I re-used a grip that had been on a bar previously....no matter how much glue I applied.

Keep in mind....I do exert a LOT of bar pressure through my hands when I'm holding traction or maintaining my line thru the loose stuff. So, I tend to punish (torque) my grips more than most.

Can't speak to the special Hot-Grips setup. I've not used those before. But I have used the heat panels placed beneath regular grips. They fishsizzle indeed! Was going to put some on R² but just use heated gloves instead (& heated vest, pants, & socks!!!) due to the massive 350 watt alternator onboard.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #7584
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Good stuff HF.

Ordering some new hardware. And all things being equal for me...no experience with non stock bars...I'm going to order the Henry/Reed bend to the pro-tapers and a set of mounts.

I'll look at the front end tonight.

Damn it was fun though. I should order a new helmet too--two major hits means new lid.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #7585
brothermosley
Motorcycle Operator

Oddometer: 624
dual-sports & turkey runs

hey folks,

anybody using their wrr to ride dual-sports and/or turkey runs? how's it working out? i know the wrr's not an enduro...but does it come close?

thanks in advance!

jamie
Old 10-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #7586
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Hhhmm....not me. I don't re-use old grips (anymore), regardless of their condition. Let's just say I learned that the hard way during a Trials event.

Grips are relatively cheap. I like em TIGHT. I don't like grips coming loose and twisting around or off the bar. And that always seems to happen whenever I re-used a grip that had been on a bar previously....no matter how much glue I applied.

Keep in mind....I do exert a LOT of bar pressure through my hands when I'm holding traction or maintaining my line thru the loose stuff. So, I tend to punish (torque) my grips more than most.

Can't speak to the special Hot-Grips setup. I've not used those before. But I have used the heat panels placed beneath regular grips. They fishsizzle indeed! Was going to put some on R˛ but just use heated gloves instead (& heated vest, pants, & socks!!!) due to the massive 350 watt alternator onboard.

HF
I tend to go with new grips too but have gotten away with re-using grips before. I have had good luck with honda grip glue and always cleaned the old grips with denatured alc to get the old glue out before re-use.

I had one of those hard way moments on my BMX when I was young. That is when I stopped using hairspray to put grips on.
Moisture got back in and loosened a grip- mid jump, grip in hand but not on bar....ouch.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #7587
YamaLink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I've used mine and it's very nice. Sounds like you know the bike's few shortcomings in certain uses, and I presume you'll have no issues. Heck, I did a 90 mile nasty desert race on mine once, but that's a whole other thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermosley
hey folks,

anybody using their wrr to ride dual-sports and/or turkey runs? how's it working out? i know the wrr's not an enduro...but does it come close?

thanks in advance!

jamie
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #7588
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermosley
hey folks,

thanks in advance!

jamie
I'm doing the Sandblast Rally with mine in February and plan to spend most of next summer on DS rides and RallyMoto events.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #7589
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
I'm doing the Sandblast Rally with mine in February and plan to spend most of next summer on DS rides and RallyMoto events.
Hey cool! I just went to Black River Rally (tm) with friends. They raced, I watched. I was thinking about doing Sandblast as well. The WR/R hangs it out in the turns pretty nicely

2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #7590
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
MoBill - thanks for the thumbs up on my WRR touring rig. I'm really happy with the results and looking forward to more epic rides out west.

Renthal FatBars are excellent - they will take a serious beating. They offer lots of different bends. Their website is very helpful in terms of figuring out which bend to choose. http://www.renthal.com/File/product2.asp
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote