Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #7621
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails
Thanks Cyborg

Wow! Glad your buddy is doing OK. That is an impressive testimonial. I also like the idea of an "OK" button to let your family know you have arrived safely when out of cell phone range.

I'm in!
What I do is just hit ok whenever I make a stop so famlly knws where I am. My son used it first on his first solo trip when he went to the Smokeys for a week when he was 19. Those ok emails and satelite photos sure made an anxious mom and dad happy.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #7622
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,631
Finally....The Suspension Article.....

Ok...I know...I've kept everyone in suspension ( ) for so long, that you've practically forgotten about it. But guess what....I HAVEN'T. Because I've got this HUGE grin on my face ever time I get on R².

However, I have to make a confession: My suspension is so darn good now, I can't believe that I ever said I liked it before. Compared to what I have now, it sucked before. Yeah, it was the best stock dualsport suspension I think I ever had. But WOW can it be SO much better.....after Travis modifies the stock components. Its not a job for him, its his ART.

I've put it through the torture test during the past month and it simply amazes me what Travis Jones did to it at "Go Race Suspension" in Christiansburg, VA. I'm talking RADICALLY GOOD.

So, I'm starting to type now. Finally working on the Article. I've got one paragraph so far.

Think I'll post up a Suspension 101 article first. Something that will really help everyone get on the same page and know how to tune your suspension effectively. Then, we'll talk about what Travis did to R².

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #7623
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
if you are running a gerbing jacket, you should be fine to run other heaters, since they don't draw nearly as much as warm'n'safe.
Most manufactures offer full liners in two wattages (not including vests) so you can pick what is right for your bike:

Gerbings Liners (both microwire or copper types): 77 watts
Warm & Safe Regular Liner: 90 watts
Warm & Safe Calientito Liner: 65 watts
Firstgear Liner: 90 watt
Firstgear Liner: 65 watt

Warm & Safe Gloves: 12 or 15 watts
Firstgear gloves (made by warm & safe): 15 watts
Gerbing gloves: 27 watts

I'm not sure, but I think there might be some math off if that mechanic says the bike only has 100 - 120 watts left after running the lights, fuel pump, ignition, etc. That seems high. Perhaps he meant or said the bike uses 120 watts for those things. I don't know how much a fuel pump or the ignition draws, but if the headlight is around the usual 55watt, the turn signals and LED tail/brake lights don't use much so it would be interesting to understand where our bikes could be using 230 - 250 watts like that mechanic claims. Maybe those other components draw way more than I am guessing, though. Anyone know?
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #7624
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
... what Travis Jones did to it at "Go Race Suspension" in Christiansburg, VA.
I just rode through that area last weekend running the Blue Ridge Parkway on a trip down to Missisippi and back.
I love riding in VA, especially with the weather cooling down. Great ride down there, if you're looking for good roads on your way to/from the BRP next time try to check out US 58... it's awesome especially between Damascus VA and Volney VA.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #7625
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,169
Quote:
During this climb, under load, in high gear....Garand's engine light came on...
...And that's when it happened to me. Yup....my engine light came on.
...Don't know for sure what it is. ...never seen it before....never seen it since. And its never happened to me in any state but Colorado. High altitude, long runs, with steep climbs, in high gear, loaded to the max.
Interesting, especially if it didn't throw any codes. Thanks for the details. Something to keep an eye on. It would have been interesting to see what effect dropping down to 5th would have had. Probably just some military base close by and they were pelting you with radiation or intense high-frequency sound waves or something, or you were in or near the "Colorado Triangle" and just plain lucky to not have disappeared all together.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #7626
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
Hence the name I say, laughing at myself.

That's a relief. OK, cool. So if I order the Pro-Tapers I need to still buy the replacement 7/8 (Left) grip--if I can't get it off by insulating and heating it.
I slip a small screw driver between the grip and bar. I then squirt some Windex down the gap created by the screw driver. Work the grip back and forth and it will slip off.

I've destroyed grips using an air compressor to get them off. It's real easy to over expand them when the glue lets loose.

AK
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #7627
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx

So, how long is that commute?
Ok... don't laugh but my commute on the bike is about 25 mins, at most 35mins depending on the route I take. Just enough to get you cold, and fingers a bit numb, this I don't want because it affects riding ability.

I have handguards already and it has reduced wind on my hands, but still chilled. My jacket is a Fieldsheer Adventure and I haven't needed the inner liner yet, I've added the neck gaiter which took care of the chin chills.

From the advice, what I need to do next is probably get the bike wired for heated gear and grips. Then I think I'll start with heated grips and a warmer glove. This will at least be the best bang for the buck right now... as temps decrease, like you said, go from there! Cuz the WR can...

Thanks for your help fellas!!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #7628
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
HF - how much did the suspension work cost, and how long does it take?

I've never had the CEL come on during my trip this summer and there were several occasions in the Rockies where I was going up a long steep grade into a stiff headwind loaded up (the ride out of Salida on US 50 was not fun by any stretch of the imagination). Were you lugging along near idle or did you have the revs up?

ChadX - thanks for selling me 100% on the Carbon gloves. I've been looking hard at them for a 3 season glove.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #7629
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Any other wr250r websites out there?

I am looking for a wr250r specific website if one exists out there. This thread is good and so is TT but I was looking to see if there are any others that I am missing.....
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #7630
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #7631
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
Those types of situations certianly don't do the mind well for riding. I have a friend that was life-flighted out of WI after a head-on in blind corner with a 4X4 quad and for the first 30 minutes we did everything possible to just keep him alive. Even with a full face helmet on, he received titanium plates in facial reconstruction due to a passenger on the 4x4 whos shoulder penetrated the opening on his helmet. There wasn't much left holding his knee together and he, unfortunately won't be riding anymore. Be carefull out there, especially on blind corners. Leave the racing for the track or marked one way courses.
Fast55, what was ironic is when my buddy and I stopped just off the pavement section for a break. We were both discussing that we have to be extra cautious on these gravel/dirt roads and not to cut any blind corners.

Then off went went on the 50 miles of gravel to Jarbige. We were separated by about 1/4 mile for dust and both taking it easy. I saw my buddy go into a blind right on the far right, where he should be, and then a pickup sliding out of the same turn and flying off the road backwards into a 20ft deep sagebrush filled gully in a cloud of dust. I knew that could not be good. I got my friend stabilized and when I saw it was not immediately life threatening, went to help the truck get out to go for help. I guess because my friend and I have been riding together on and off for almost 30 years, it didn't really mess up either of our minds other than deep concern for his injuries and getting things taken care of. He was a hurtin' unit but stoic and had his usual sly morbid humor all the way through the ambulance ride and hospital care and will eventually be riding again.

Very sorry to hear about your friend's injuries.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #7632
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
So, I'm starting to type now. Finally working on the Article. I've got one paragraph so far.
Think I'll post up a Suspension 101 article first. Something that will really help everyone get on the same page and know how to tune your suspension effectively. Then, we'll talk about what Travis did to R².
HF
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #7633
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
I bought some risers for the bike, but the throttle cables are on the limit of full bar-lock even stock.
What have taller people done? I need much more rise.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #7634
router.exe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
Most manufactures offer full liners in two wattages (not including vests) so you can pick what is right for your bike:

Gerbings Liners (both microwire or copper types): 77 watts
Warm & Safe Regular Liner: 90 watts
Warm & Safe Calientito Liner: 65 watts
Firstgear Liner: 90 watt
Firstgear Liner: 65 watt

Warm & Safe Gloves: 12 or 15 watts
Firstgear gloves (made by warm & safe): 15 watts
Gerbing gloves: 27 watts

I'm not sure, but I think there might be some math off if that mechanic says the bike only has 100 - 120 watts left after running the lights, fuel pump, ignition, etc. That seems high. Perhaps he meant or said the bike uses 120 watts for those things. I don't know how much a fuel pump or the ignition draws, but if the headlight is around the usual 55watt, the turn signals and LED tail/brake lights don't use much so it would be interesting to understand where our bikes could be using 230 - 250 watts like that mechanic claims. Maybe those other components draw way more than I am guessing, though. Anyone know?
looking at the pdf version of the manual now..doesn't list draw for fuel pump or ignition.
router.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #7635
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns
Went for a ride today, it was raining and the road was soft.

Went for a ride today and the road was hard. And kinda white. This is where I turned around - because the back tire kept on wanting to pass the front tire, while the front tire was just kind of wandering all over the place...

Not many weeks of riding left here, and fewer left up in the mountains. For those who like studding tires and heading out on icy logging roads... fill your boots. Last thing I need is a face full of Western Star.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote