scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #767
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac

The downside will be the maintenance,,,,
Yep- big part of why I went with the WRR rather than hold out for a KTM.
No husky dealers around here either.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #768
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,631
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveign

High Five, your write ups are great, and have caused me to consider a 250 cc bike when before I thought that a 600 cc bike was what I was looking for.

Currently I had narrowed my choices to the Husky te610, and Ktm 690 enduro, Yamaha wr450, and now the wr 250. I would assume that the 3 larger cc bike would all be fine on the highway, but the 250 would excel in tighter woodsy type terrain. I have pretty much eliminated the Ktm and the 450(thanks to your write up HF) so the question I have is what you guys opinions would be on the Husky vs the wr250, the weight and bike dimensions seem close, so if any of you have experience with the Husky I would value your opinion. Thx.
Thanks Iceveign, glad you found it informative. I have no experience with any of the "modern" Husky's. I do have lots of experience with the REAL Huskys of yesteryear....i.e. the 70's. So, I know its shocking to all, but I have to pass on this question.

In referring to the Yama's, its important to know if you mean the Rē or the WR250F....since you've left your descript vague. Just want to make sure you've clarified that.

Then, my 2 cents is: how comfortable do yo want to be...for how long a period of riding (at a time)....for how much FUN. Decide that FIRST, and it should really help your decision making as you sort it out, throw legs over bikes, test ride, etc. Kind of hard to know if its "the one" just looking on paper or sitting in the showroom. Frankly, that's why I "stepped up to the plate" as Krabill said....to settle things for myself. Probably why I had so many bikes in the garage....seeking "the One". A TE310 with FI sounds very appealing. Beyond that, I donno. Perception vs. Reality...?????

For me, I've found it. RēRēRēRēRē ALL THE WAY!

HF

p.s I'm having a freaking blast on Rē all the time, everywhere! That's all I know for certain. BTW, I finally jumped on the KLR yesterday to take a spin. Wouldn't start.....the battery was DEAD! Didn't realize it had been that long since I rode it. Wow...another Revelation!
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #769
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,677
The TE250 has been street legal since '06. Curb weight (everything except gas) on the '06 was 244 lbs. I think it was like 33 hp at the wheel. The TE250 is damn close to the perfect woods weapon that's street legal to boot already, 310 would be even better. However, neither will be the street bike that the WR-R is.
Husky maintenance isn't bad (valve checks are very easy), would be more than the Yam though. Tranny ratios are SUPER close, maybe they will change it on the '09. No dealer nearby is pretty much a non-issue, parts are easily available mail order.

I stepped down from an '06 TE250 to my modded '07 KLX250. TE was too much bike for my riding, too tall and short geared. There's hardly any off road riding in my area. My right arm/shoulder are less than 50% strength/range of motion so I just needed a more mellow bike.
I do miss the Husky though
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #770
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Just noticed that Thumper talk calls the bike W2R.
Gotta say I like Rē better.

That is all, carry on.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #771
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Thumb Better Watch This Drag Race!

WR250X vs. Ninja250R........oops!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?eurl=ht...&v=YuJXm5fLTcM

HF
Old 10-13-2008, 07:19 AM   #772
boognish
n00b

Oddometer: 1
How do you put turn signals on a wr250?

I want to put turn signals on my wr250. can anyone suggest a brand that would work well and how to do it.
boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #773
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,388
That's 400 meters which is .248 miles. Pretty much a 1/4 mile and about 81mph. Pretty respectable for a 250 single.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #774
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Quote:
Originally Posted by boognish
I want to put turn signals on my wr250. can anyone suggest a brand that would work well and how to do it.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/
Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #775
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by boognish
If you want to go the LED route ... DRC makes a great tail light kit and Zeta has hand guards with integrated blinkers. wheelingcyclesupply.com has DRC, Zeta and other WR250R/X aftermarket products. There are a number of "how to" threads on this topic over at the Yamaha Dual Sport forum on thumpertalk.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #776
Iceveign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Yes High Five, I was referring to the r2, as ya'll call it. I want a bike that I can ride 2 -4 hours on occasion in one direction on the street to get to some trails and camp site, then be able to rip it up a bit on the dirt and do some exploring. Although long, long rides on the highway is not a must, since in reality if I'm going that far from home I would probably haul it to my destination for safety and peace of mind. I just want a dual sport that will ride on the highway at 70-80 without feeling like it's being pushed to hard, I have no concerns about dirt riding with the r2. I want a bike that ways around 300lbs. or less, so bikes like the klr650 and the dr650 I have eliminated.

That's why I was considering the Husky te610, because it weighs around 309lbs. The dealer(15 miles from my house)told me the engine was different from the other te's, less maintenance and gear'd more for the road. But since reading HF's comments about the wr450 maybe having to much power on the dirt I can see how the same thing might be true with any 600cc bike.

This little 250 by Yamaha is starting to look more and more like the wisest choice, it's really growing on me.
Iceveign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #777
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveign
Yes High Five, I was referring to the r2, as ya'll call it. I want a bike that I can ride 2 -4 hours on occasion in one direction on the street to get to some trails and camp site, then be able to rip it up a bit on the dirt and do some exploring. Although long, long rides on the highway is not a must, since in reality if I'm going that far from home I would probably haul it to my destination for safety and peace of mind. I just want a dual sport that will ride on the highway at 70-80 without feeling like it's being pushed to hard, I have no concerns about dirt riding with the r2. I want a bike that ways around 300lbs. or less, so bikes like the klr650 and the dr650 I have eliminated.

That's why I was considering the Husky te610, because it weighs around 309lbs. The dealer(15 miles from my house)told me the engine was different from the other te's, less maintenance and gear'd more for the road. But since reading HF's comments about the wr450 maybe having to much power on the dirt I can see how the same thing might be true with any 600cc bike.

This little 250 by Yamaha is starting to look more and more like the wisest choice, it's really growing on me.
Ok...that helps a bunch. First, I don't care what you ride...really, I don't. So, there's no "persuasion" intended here at all. R ē is a very comfortable 65 - 70mph ride on the highway. It'll make 80 ok, but I don't think I'll ever be running long stretches at that speed. I'd need a "cruise-lock" to keep the throttle pegged that long. Very close to top limit of bike.

Again, can't speak for the Husky. But that seat looks suspiciously similar to my (ex) WR450F....which was a 2x4 with vinyl. Those were made that way because the enduro bikes are intended to have riders "standing" on the pegs most of the time. Just saying....

If you ever get a field test on R ē don't be deceived by your initial (wimpy) impressions. This baby will rip it in the woods if you stay on the revs hard. Most people don't ride bikes like that. But sounds like you do. If so, I think you'd have a big fat grin on your face. Then, when you dismount....you'll look back and wonder "that's a 250 street bike...?"

Its not earth shattering, heart stopping, unbelievable power. Nope! Just maybe the most darn FUN I've ever had with a true dualsport machine. I finally quit trying to figure out why. Now, I just RIDE!

And, all my other bikes are getting neglected....really bad!

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 10-13-2008 at 04:38 PM
Old 10-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #778
NashvegasNeal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
If you ever get a field test on R ē don't be deceived by your initial (wimpy) impressions. This baby will rip it in the woods if you stay on the revs hard. Most people don't ride bikes like that. But sounds like you do. If so, I think you'd have a big fat grin on your face. Then, when you dismount....you'll look back and wonder "that's a 250 street bike...?"

Its not earth shattering, heart stopping, unbelievable power. Nope! Just maybe the most darn FUN I've ever had with a true dualsport machine. I finally quit trying to figure out why. Now, I just RIDE!

HF[/quote]

Great post...I could'nt say it any better myself.
NashvegasNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #779
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
WR250X vs. Ninja250R........oops!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?eurl=ht...&v=YuJXm5fLTcM

HF
Motorcyclist did a gas saver feature that included these two bikes in their October issue. The Ninja edged the WRX 15.30 - 15.51. The Ninja has two more horsepower but a 76 pound weight disadvantage, so the outcome of most drag races will probably depend on rider skill.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #780
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
My friend Joel let Corbin use his WRR as a Guinea Pig
and got himself a brand new prototype seat out of the deal!

These are now up and ready for sale on Corbin's
website if anybody is interested.

http://www.corbin.com/yamaha/ywr250rx.shtml

scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote