no way! more pride for WR!
AdvRasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #782
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveign
I want a bike that I can ride 2 -4 hours on occasion in one direction on the street to get to some trails and camp site, then be able to rip it up a bit on the dirt and do some exploring.
All the bikes you listed were great bikes. You will be really happy with any of them. You can find people who will list up sides and down sides of any of them, but really any of those will do what you've mentioned.

Now, having said that, I can tell you that I did 250 road miles on my WRR yesterday without any issues. I wasn't on any interstate. Not because the bike isn't comfortable on the interstate, just because IMO there's always a better road to take. I don't even like riding on the interstate in my car anymore.
So I don't really see a need to ever go 80 for long periods of time. If I'm going 80... that means there aren't enough curves on that road and I need to find another.

The seat is no problem for me. I've got a pair of padded cycling shorts (Pearl Izumi) and plus I'm a skinny little dude with no ass to speak of so I slide up to the tank when I'm riding aggressively and slide back to the fatter "comfy" part of the seat for cruising... plus I throw in some time standing on the pegs (which is actually pretty fun at 50mph) and my butt is fine.

Wind management is no issue for me as of yet. I do have some sketchy moments from time to time w/ my off-road helmet when I get over 60, but that's due to poor air venting specific to the model of helmet I have (HJC CL-X5)... a wind screen could make that even worse, depending on where it dumps the air that it catches. If I'm riding entirely street-mode, or I know that I want to hold higher speeds for long periods then I'd be wearing street helmet.

I also have a couple of bags on the way to help with both commuting and some light camping loads.
I'm going to try a slightly different option than a lot of what I've seen listed. I'll post up my results on TT and probably in the minimalist touring thread in here.

Personally, I think the WRR is the perfect bike for me. No one can tell you if it's perfect for you.
A lot of people really love the WRR. But no sane person is going to tell you that the Husky TE's suck. They're great bikes too.
You just gotta read up on them (as you've done) and then when you start to feel like you can't decide, just stop worrying b/c you've already got it narrowed down to all GOOD choices so just go with your gut and take the plunge.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #783
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
Motorcyclist did a gas saver feature that included these two bikes in their October issue. The Ninja edged the WRX 15.30 - 15.51. The Ninja has two more horsepower but a 76 pound weight disadvantage, so the outcome of most drag races will probably depend on rider skill.
I liked the article. Nice to see them gave some smaller bikes a little love.
The MPG test bothered me some.
It was pretty misleading. They put 1 gal in each bike and ran them till they quit. The DRz was the only one that was able to use the whole gallon so it was the only one that had an accurate MPG. For the others, they should have drained and measured the remaining gas, subtracted it from the inital gallon, then calculated. All gad high MPG so maybe it doesn't matter, but that kind of thing just rubbs me the wrong way.
I suppose it's usefull to know that the WRR can't actually use all of it's gas though.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #784
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx
The MPG test bothered me some. They put 1 gal in each bike and ran them till they quit. The DRz was the only one that was able to use the whole gallon so it was the only one that had an accurate MPG.
Yeah. What I learned from that portion of the article is not to enter the WRR in a mileage contest where the rules specify that each contestent starts with exactly one gallon of gas. Otherwise it was pretty useless information. Maybe it will shame Yamaha into a slight redo of the tank so it can utilize all the fuel.

"I am used to people like you who like to hide on the internet" -- tHEtREV

Hiding on the internet since 2006!
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #785
FearTheMuffin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, though I haven't read all of the pages, but does anyone have any experience with how this "little" bike handles higher elevations (8,000+) with the factory setup?
FearTheMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #786
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheMuffin
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, though I haven't read all of the pages, but does anyone have any experience with how this "little" bike handles higher elevations (8,000+) with the factory setup?
I would imagine that it does better than any carb'd bike.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #787
Iceveign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thx HF and Copa for your input. Looks like the last thing to do is get a few test rides. One negative I have learned about the Husky te610, is doesn't come with adjustable forks on the '08, it did with the '07, for 7000.00 adjustable forks has to be included for me to consider it. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha, I need to sell my street bike first, even though I don't want to, damn motorcycles will put ya in the poor house if ya don't watch it, addictive.
Iceveign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:06 AM   #788
Jutta
Into the remote places

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by boognish
I want to put turn signals on my wr250. can anyone suggest a brand that would work well and how to do it.
The original WR turn signals work so good that I installed a set on my Dakar.
Jutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #789
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
Maybe it will shame Yamaha into a slight redo of the tank so it can utilize all the fuel.
I wonder if that was done on purpose to provide a heat sink for the fuel pump when out of usable fuel.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #790
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
I ride the WRR 60 miles a day. The farthest I have gone in one direction one sitting is about 60 miles as well, my work commute is 30 each way. My biggest complaint is the tank size just because I am putting gas in it every day and a half but... with Power Commander, K&N filter, airbox mod, windscreen, dirt bagz, handguards, and skidplate, 46 tooth rear sprocket and I get 60mpg while doing 75 on california freeway (I-5 from Oceanside to Del Mar)

At around the end of my 60 mile stint my buns were getting a little numb and I am a skinny guy also, I think a simple ATV seat pad type deal would correct that the only other thing I notice on longer rides is the vibration through the metal footpegs, some sort of rubber insert to dampen that would help. Handlebar vibration is not really an issue either.

It's not a one hand on the throttle rest your other on your lap bike on the freeway by any means but I don't feel beat up by the bike either and it has no problem doing 70-75-even 80 really for sustained periods, anything over 80 and it starts to strain a bit.

I've never ridden another bike on the street so I don't know how much easier a bigger bike would be to handle on the freeway but the WRR puts up with it just fine.

Dirt wise the WRR is very different from my other 250F it does not like to be lugged and as others have said if you wick the throttle and keep the rpms up the thing moves pretty good. For serious off roading it needs some suspension tuning, stock setup it does not like the whoops it wants to throw me like a bucking bronco a bit. I like the peace of mind regarding maintenance intervals that I feel like I am not going to wear something out by putting so many road miles on the bike between dirt sessions. And if I were a better rider I am sure I could impress some people with this little bike.
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #791
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx
they should have drained and measured the remaining gas, subtracted it from the inital gallon, then calculated.
A simpler and more accurate method would be, run the bike until it quits, add one gallon, run the bike until it quits again. Is it possible that's what they did?
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #792
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU
A simpler and more accurate method would be, run the bike until it quits, add one gallon, run the bike until it quits again. Is it possible that's what they did?
Or simply start with a full tank, ride 100 miles and fill the tank again and see how much it takes. That's how the world figures their MPG in an auto.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #793
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,099
Hey guys! I was just wondering abou the reliability of the WRR? Anyone have any major problems, Anyone have over 6,000 miles?

I was thinking about a WRR, but bought a KTM 690 enduro instead. Like the WRR it is suppossed to be KTM's version of a low maintenance reliable dual sport. In 3 months I"ve put 4,000 miles on it. However it's had 3 seriouis issues in that time.
I am in the US at the moment but heading back to Malaysia soon and I can only bring 1 bike with me and it has to last 5 years. I'm curious if the WRR really is a reliable little bike.

Thanks for your input

Rick
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #794
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
I've had mine for about 3 months also, mostly off-road on really rough demanding trails. No problems at all. On thumpertalk the only problem I've seen is one guy who had clutch problems after using his WRR to drag firewood around his yard. No kidding.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #795
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
I've had mine for seven months now.

It sat all through July while I was nursing a broken leg
but I've got a little over 3500 miles on mine to date.

Outside of the farkling I've done, all it's needed
maintenance-wise is gas, a few oil changes and
air filter cleanings, chain lube, and a little WD40.

One of the things that stokes me the most about
this bike is you can ride it hard, just bring it
home and park it in the garage and it's ready to
go the next day.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote