Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #8266
vwsandman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Replacement plastics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Have a suggested online source for replacement plastics??
Since they were pretty cheap, I got them at the dealer, BUT Cheap Cycle Parts.com seems to usually be the cheapest price...but then you have the shipping costs.....so I always see if I am ahead by going online vs the dealer...
vwsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #8267
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
Looks like your missing your tools.
They stole his side cover decals too!

I'd forgotten what she looks like new and clean.

On another note, the motorcycle aftermarket association wants to thank crawdaddy for stimulating the economy.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #8268
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBri
Meet my new 2010 WR250R!
Congrats, Brian. Great companion bike for your 800GS. You are the first to own and post pics of a 2010 in this thread.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #8269
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 354
Not that I have anything against blue but...

Not that I have anything against blue but...I'm thinking about going the bedliner route...Anyone done this to their WR?
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #8270
JediBri
Glory to GOD

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
Looks like your missing your tools.
Note to self... put tools back on bike.

The locals shops had been sold out of WR250Rs for the last couple months, so I went to Denver last Saturday. Two different shops up there told me the 2010s wouldn't arrive until Jan/Feb, and one of those was kind enough to offer me a leftover 2008 for $6600 OTD

One the way home I decided to check my favorite local shop again, just for grins, and they had a brand-new 2010 fresh out of the crate.

I'm stoked!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #8271
trashed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Paint for plastics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasculopath
Not that I have anything against blue but...I'm thinking about going the bedliner route...Anyone done this to their WR?
I haven't used the bedliner stuff, but I did use Krylon Fusion for plastics. It has stuck real good. Only places it has come off is from scratches. It has not peeled or faded. Best 20 bucks I have spent on a makeover yet. Read the direction carefully. Clean all the plastic with mineral spirits first. Then hit it with 3 coats (15 mins between coates), then don't touch them for 7 days!

I painted mine, then when they were dry to the touch I put them back on the bike and didn't touch it for two weeks while I was at work. This stuff is cheap and nice. If it gets to sratched up, then repaint the pieces that need it.
Attached Images

trashed screwed with this post 11-05-2009 at 05:19 PM
trashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #8272
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by res0zvle
bpg - I used your detailed writeup to install my heated grips, thanks. Would I be able to run multiple electrical items (ie grips & gps) from the power lead supplied from the single relay installed? Or is it necessary to use multiple relays? Thanks
As long as you don't go above the relay's rated amp duty, absolutely!

What I do on my bikes is use the relay to power a simple fuse/distribution box. These are well under $10 at any auto parts store, and allow you to have a separate fuse for each accessory, and really tidies up the wiring:

For the WR, I mounted mine behind the number plate, to the headlight housing. Been like that since March, a dab of dielectric grease at the terminal and fuse upon install and it's a surprisingly watertight location.

To power it, you simply bolt a ring terminal from the power wire (coming from terminal 87 on the relay) to the bolt on the right, and cover it w/ liquid electric tape. You can see the 6 slots in the plastic middle piece, each slot will send power to its corresponding terminal when a fuse is inserted. So you'd need 2 fuses, one for the grips and one for the GPS, rated accordingly.

Also nice is that if a fuse blows, it's easy to isolate & check it (versus having numerous accessories tied into a single power lead)

Here's the whole thread:
http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh...ories-t338.htm
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg screwed with this post 11-05-2009 at 08:18 PM
bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #8273
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill
On another note, the motorcycle aftermarket association wants to thank crawdaddy for stimulating the economy.
I'm pretty much done with the farkling (for now).......I have some things to do but it's time to ride for a while........need to get a bigger impact socket to put 12T on up front.....I'll deal with Beaver electronic solution/grips later.......

Dubach Pipe is on the bike......started it up on the stand.......yep, it's kind of loud but I'm sure it'll tame down once I insert the quiet core (should be here within 2 weeks).....my perception of loud is a bit skewed.......my Honda Superhawk with Wolf Racing pipes was loud........my CR500 two Smoker was nutty loud........the various KTMs over the years were loud.......my YZ400 with White Bro's exhaust was loud.......this bike isn't loud even without the quiet core (to me).....then again, I haven't put on the rear wheel and taken it out on the road yet......don't get me wrong, I'm all for quiet bikes/open trails......but this bike whispers compared to some other "plated" bikes out there, even with pipe mods.....

The FMF programmer also arrived......I'll deal with that in the morning, then button everything up and off we go.....desert bound............was just looking at the FMF directions........they give you 4' of ground wire then instruct you to mount it on the side of the battery case which is about 2 INCHES away......dumb (although I guess that does allow some flexibility on alternate mounting locations)........the side of the battery case won't allow me to view it very well....maybe that doesn't matter as long as I can "click" the buttons? ........I don't see a lot of room/options under the seat (unless I remove the top of the airbox) and there doesn't appear to be enough room to push the connectors through the wiring harness hole in the frame if I went to mount it up behind the headlight somewhere....

Where is everyone else mounting these things?

EDIT: I see High Five mounted his FMF PP where the AIS solenoid used to sit......looks good, I like that location better than on the side of the battery case and I doubt I'd screw with it enough to justify cluttering things up near triple clamp/handlebar.......so tomorrow I'll mount it in that location and go with the 3-5-.5-8-4-4 combo (no need to re-create the wheel - thanks for the up front trial and error dyno testing)
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 11-05-2009 at 10:36 PM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #8274
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,272
Wow..this thread is huge. I jumped right to page 500 and started reading from there. I only got up to page 531 so far.

So, anyway....i have a thread on here, the site, asking if I should go with a DRZ 400 or the WR250R...you can see that thread here

I think I am leaning towards the WRR.

Two questions for this thread:

1. Can I get it, a new one, in any color other than blue? I have seen white ones, but my guess they are earlier years?

2. Since I am gonna buy new, and am really in the mode of I do not feel like working on anything...outside normal maintainence........is there anything wrong with just leaving it bone stock, at least for the first year, while under warranty?
I will add some luggage and GPS..maybe some heated grips..but that is about it, at first.

Thanks for replies and this thread.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:37 AM   #8275
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,607
You'll be fine to buy it and ride it. If you want to learn a whole lot, go back and start this thread about page 40. Also you can check:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=384

Sarah
Old 11-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #8276
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,155
I agree. Stock is fine unless you are going to be in gnarly rocky trails. Then, at a minimum, add a skidplate. You should be fine everywhere else. Just note you might have to replace an occasional brake or clutch lever if you don't have handguards, but levers are cheap and it will usually take quite a few small falls before they are unusable. The other solution for that is don't fall.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #8277
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,272
Chad and Sarah: Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I'll probably get some handguards right away too...if for nothing else, wind protection.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 AM   #8278
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73
Wow..this thread is huge. I jumped right to page 500 and started reading from there. I only got up to page 531 so far.

So, anyway....i have a thread on here, the site, asking if I should go with a DRZ 400 or the WR250R...you can see that thread here

I think I am leaning towards the WRR.

Two questions for this thread:

1. Can I get it, a new one, in any color other than blue? I have seen white ones, but my guess they are earlier years?

2. Since I am gonna buy new, and am really in the mode of I do not feel like working on anything...outside normal maintainence........is there anything wrong with just leaving it bone stock, at least for the first year, while under warranty?
I will add some luggage and GPS..maybe some heated grips..but that is about it, at first.

Thanks for replies and this thread.
1. The WRR only comes in blue. The 2010 WRX comes in white. You could always buy the WRX plastic and mount it on your WRR. That's what I'm planning on doing, anyway

2. Bone stock is perfectly fine. I would, however suggest a $16 12T countershaft sprocket as you'll be much happier with the way it performs geared down just a little. A skidplate would be worth its weight in gold if you're doing rocky trails, and of course the luggage, gps, and heated grips are always nice. I finally got around to mounting up my heated grips about a week ago and oh boy, they're nice
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #8279
Leipo
'08 wr250r

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
1. The WRR only comes in blue in the USA. The 2010 WRX comes in white. You could always buy the WRX plastic and mount it on your WRR. That's what I'm planning on doing, anyway

2. Bone stock is perfectly fine. I would, however suggest a $16 12T countershaft sprocket as you'll be much happier with the way it performs geared down just a little. A skidplate would be worth its weight in gold if you're doing rocky trails, and of course the luggage, gps, and heated grips are always nice. I finally got around to mounting up my heated grips about a week ago and oh boy, they're nice
fixed that for you
Leipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #8280
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,199
Another vote for leaving it stock at first. I have added a skidplate, handguards, a ProTaper SE bar, and Wolfman Enduro bags. Other than that, just oil and gas. Not really seeing anything that NEEDS improvement at the moment(except some heated grips).