User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #8311
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
DQ,

I have been lurking here, sponging up information for future use as I get my older DR350 back to fighting condition.

Think of the gearing this way (bear with me): o O
1. draw two circles: one large (higher profile tire) one small (lower profile tire). Note the small circle has a shorter radius than the big circle.
2. A circumference of a circle is 2* 3.14 (pi) *radius. A smaller circle has a lower circumference.
o rolled out--> __ vs. O rolled out--> ____
3. A shorter tire will travel a shorter distance over one revolution vs a taller tire. Thus, at any given speed, the shorter tire will have to spin faster (with higher rpms) to cover the same ground vs a taller tire.
4. Short tires = short gearing; tall tires = tall gearing

Helpful?
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #8312
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,775
13/47 is great, its still very happy at 65mph and its super easy to find a nice, long lasting, and cheap steel sprocket in that size since Sunstar makes one. I've got about 10k on mine and its starting show some wear.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #8313
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Do I have to take the blame for that again...??

HF

p.s. even the world's greatest long-term "holdout" became a believer. Mobill....you're welcome!
Actually - huge thanks to Novector and especially BigDogAdventures for opening folks' eyes to this little wonder machine from the get-go! Their objective reviews, down-to-Earth modesty (cough, cough), and excellent writing and pics had many hooked on Day 1!

Seriously though, you've obviously made a big contribution to the WRR scene. Big props to both of you (HF, and HF's ego);

(just bustin' chops man!)
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #8314
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,155
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #8315
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ
1. Partially due to my "size" I'm thinking I will go with 13/47 gearing. My question is, will the extra tooth cause me to have to be over revving just to try and keep up with other WRR's that have 13/46 (or similar) gearing during highway runs?
You can not over-rev this bike (or hit the rev-limiter for that matter) in 6th gear while riding down the road. Can't happen. So no worries about over revving it. Know that both 5th and 6th gear are overdrive gears in this transmission. Wind resistance will not let you hit the rev limiter in 5th or 6th gear, even when geared down (unless maybe you do some power mods like airbox, programmer, and exhaust. Then maybe you could hit the rev limiter in 5th. I've not heard of anyone hitting the limiter in 6th). I hit the rev limiter, when in 4th gear, at a GPS-synced and true 74 mph. Shifting up to 5th, I've never been able to hit the rev limiter and often resort to using 5th gear when bucking a head wind or riding up long inclines. Holding it at 75mph in 5th gear is no problem (except for gas mileage) and will not harm the engine, so doing that same speed, or higher in 6th is a cake walk for this bike. Remember, our 250 motor is based on one cylinder of the Yamaha R1 1,000cc inline 4 and many of the robust traits have translated. That 1,000cc was made to live at sky-high rpms.

Your proposed 13/47 with stock diameter tires will definitely not over-rev or overstress your engine at any speed you can manage in 5th or 6th gear. As far as "keeping up with other WR that have 13/46", there won't be much difference in top speed when wound out. The weight of you and your gear/luggage, the wind resistance from saddlebags, etc. will make a far bigger impact on top speed than one tooth on the rear sprocket. Remember, these bikes are wind-resistance limited, not rev-limited, at their upper speeds. Besides, a 1 tooth difference on the back is so insignificant, you wouldn't notice the difference if you swapped between the two bikes. Swapping between the stock 13/43 and a 13/46 or 47 you would, but 1 tooth on the back would be extremely subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ
2. Would someone mind explaining (in simple terms) how going to a larger radius tire has the effect of geducing your rear ratio?
What spaceman said. Basically, the larger the circumferance of the wheel, the more distance it travels over a single revolution (and a given rpm). Think "more distance traveled at the same rpm" effectively raising your gear ratio.
- A larger tire (or larger front sprocket, or smaller rear sprocket) increases your ratio (taller gearing).
- A smaller tire (or smaller front sprocket, or larger rear sprocket) reduces the ratio (deeper/lower gearing).

Chadx screwed with this post 11-07-2009 at 10:55 AM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #8316
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Said something about it making a "great story"....especially after I told him "No, I don't need no stinkin ride in your pickup truck! I'll meet you at the track....on R" Kind of left him speechless.

Apparently, big time Sports Anchorman can't ride his big 450 CRFX down the highway that far. Imagine that...

HF
Hope it goes well HF. That'll learn 'em about what R can do!

If the CRFX breaks down you can swap-in 'ol reliable R.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #8317
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer: 1,442
I got my WRr today, took an hr to get to the woods and in that hr I did everything the dealer told me not to. 86mph in the freeway and the bike really felt good..
Got some dirt on it, had lots of fun doing it and after 250 miles all I can say about the bike is I'm sorry I did not get it sooner..

AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #8318
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,165
Motorcycle Consumer News 250 Dual-Sport Shootout

This months issue of MCN has the 3 way comparo between the WR, KLX and the CRF 230. Needless to say it took the overall winning 8 of the 10 categories.

Took 1st place in:

Engine & Performance
Transmission & Clutch
Chassis & Suspension
Brakes, Wheels & Tires
Ergonomics
Riding Impression
Attention to Detail
Value

Took 2nd place in:

Handling- Only because the CRF is 33.5 lbs lighter than the WR.
Instruments & Controls- The KLX won this category by virtue of one item--- a tachometer.

To quote Don Searle, the editor: "The Yamaha is superb and wins this contest hands down, in my opinion. The WR is highway capable, yet super light and flickable in the dirt. It has great, fully-adjustable suspenders, great fuel injection, a transmission that's as smooth as hot butter, and plenty of grunt for scaling the San Gabriel fire trails (if only it had a bigger gas tank!)---a remarkable achievement out of 250cc."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/

Promote responsible trail riding and trail stewardship.
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #8319
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,280
My adventures with window shopping for a WRR. mine RR:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post11325756
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #8320
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,528
Oklahoma Gold Rush '09

Well folks....I actually survived the 14th running of the Oklahoma Gold Rush! What a FANTASTIC event. Anyone anywhere near Oklahoma (or not) should put this event on their calendar for next year.

I entered the Team Competition with my TV Sports Anchor friend: Shack, who brought his CRFX 450.....which he trailered. Actually, everyone trailered in except me! Some as far away as California and the like.

My day started very early with a nice long ride on the Super Slab to hurry up and get there so we could take care of all the "necessaries" (which means "wait in line at the sign up"). I cruised down the turnpike at a steady 75 mph packed in between several pickups and vans toting their bikes to the event. When we got to the exit, it was a loooooong line backed up....cause everyone was exiting for the event. I soon got tired of that wait, and took advantage of my Asset. Pulled R out and ran thru the empty Pike Pass lane (paid full toll automatically), then cut back thru barrier and up the curb....across the infield grass, and back onto the exit ramp. That would officially be my FIRST pass on the competition! I thought it made a proper statement!

Here's R (ready to go) patiently WAITING on my teamate to pull some Trackside Maintenance. R doesn't get any of that. Doesn't need any!

Didn't take me long to pull the mirrors and drop my bags. Faster than Shack could oil his chain....and change the spark plug.....and swap air filters....and remove a roll chart.....and....aahh, I lost count (I'm getting old).

There were a few entrants for the Team Race:

Ok....maybe more like a lot:

The line wrapped WAY behind that wall. I don't have a clue how many....I can't count that high. Remember, I'm getting old.

Mostly motocross bikes and real woods racers, plus a FEW plated dirt bikes. I think I was the only REAL DS bike in the event. Unless you want to count the "stripped down" CRF230 (without lights & plate). I didn't count it.

Yeah...yeah...Shack's CRFX has blinkers & a plate. But it hasn't seen 10 miles of concrete in its entire lifetime. Maybe....maybe 10 miles of dirt road. Its mostly stayed on the Single Track.

Anyway, the Race was a real hoot. You had to pick a teammate to start, while the partner had to wait in pit row. You had to stand in front of your bike (with engine off) staring behind the bike way back at the Race Official "Starter". When he waved the Green Flag, you had to run around, mount the bike, start it up and take off into an immediate vertical dirt wall about 5 ft high that had been cut with a dozer. This made for some hilarious starts.

Because there were so many riders, they started in waves, one line at a time, separated by about 30 seconds each. Since it was a 3 hour endurance race, they figured its ok to do it this way. How do you get on the front line? Good question! Show up at 6:00 am and "get in line" at signup. We arrived at 8:00 a.m. So...yeah....we had to start about 4 lines deep. No big deal, as we had no plans to try and win anything anyway.....cause after all, I was on a Street Bike....eh?

Here's the bikes afterwards!

Don't have any photos of the actual event (yet). Kind of hard to do when you have to wait in the bullpen on pit row while you're partner is somewhere out in the woods. It was a 9.5 mile course with 1.5 on the Hallet Motor Speedway track (very cool!) and 8.0 in the woods.....some tough, mean, muddy, slick, nasty single track. R ate it up! I liked it too.

There were some interesting sections....like the figure eight where you climbed and crossed a bridge (of three planks) then looped underneath thru a horrendous mud bog....only to try and get your speed up to clear a massive (deep) water hole over big uphill blind jump! It would be like clearing a 40 ft double that was full of water without much runup. I would peg the throttle on R in 2nd gear and never let off until airborne.

The first time, I didn't know what was there....but saw the rider in front of me just "disappear" so I hammered it. And, made it but I did come up a bit short. Was very thankful for my new Suspension Mods from Go_Race! The next time I cleared it by all of 6 inches. There was a professional photographer there. I'll post a photo if I ever locate it and am able to buy one.

By the way, seems Shack's bike is muddier than mine. Let's take a closer looksee:

Yep...just as I thought. Guess he didn't go fast enough. His lap times were pushing a bit over 30 minutes. I was running about 29 - 30 minutes. But hey, I was riding a PeeWee 250 Street Bike....remember? The winning team averaged about 20 minutes per lap (they were SMOKIN).

Well, time to go....so I packed her up and put the antlers back on for the Long Way Home.

Before I could ride off, this guy came over...parked....and shook my hand for passing him on the loop with my 250. I believe his Old Yeller is an '03 WR450F. I just thought you Retro dudes would enjoy seeing his paint scheme. It was very nicely done.

And one last thing, I must confess there was some carnage! That's right, HF actually WENT DOWN.

But Hold Your Horses, and hear me out before thou dost judge too quickly!

On my 2nd loop, I knew the course better and was keeping a faster pace. Between mile 5 & 6, I come flying around a blind corner in the woods and smack into a FREAKIN 4-WHEELER....who is STUCK in the trail ruts on a nasty downhill barely wide enough for a motorcycle! There were actually THREE 4-wheelers on that trail! I mean, who would believe it? This is a closed course competition, and it was NOT the 4-wheelers turn to ride. Who in their right (or even wrong) mind would take a 4-wheeler out onto the single track course during a live motorcycle race? UNBEEEEEELIEVABLE.

Anyway, I lock it up and try to avoid but No Way. I smack right into the 4-wheeler doing at least 15 miles per hour on a sideways slide. Impact knocks the 4-wheeler idot over his bars while I ricochet off the big fat rubber back tire and go flailing into the rocks and logs on the side of trail. This really chapped my butt, to say it nicely. Fortunately, the damage to R was minor.....only some flesh wounds:

Hey....you know I'm really ticked off about these scratches! Also, this could have been worse....A LOT WORSE....at the speed I hit this idiot. The other two 4-wheelers were just ahead of this guy. Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!! In a matter of minutes, I think there were a dozen motorcycles backed up on the trail waiting for these idiots to get out of the way.

Needless to say, I slowed down for the rest of my ride.

All in all, I had a terrific time and can't wait to do it again next year. Who's going to join in the fun? This event could be the centerpiece of a great R rally in 2010.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 11-07-2009 at 07:22 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #8321
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,478
Diff's betweek 2009 and 2010

Just wondering if anyone has seen these spec's if so please excuse.

Looks like it's all the same except for 3lb less weight? Wonder what changed to reduce the weight? anyone know of other changes not being mentioned on the "official" web site?

10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #8322
Chris7521
livin on the rock

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
Just wondering if anyone has seen these spec's if so please excuse.

Looks like it's all the same except for 3lb less weight? Wonder what changed to reduce the weight? anyone know of other changes not being mentioned on the "official" web site?
Probably an error because the Cali models are the same weight and less than a non Cali model? I doubt anything has changed except it's $300.00 more and it's fork anodizing.

Chris7521 screwed with this post 11-07-2009 at 07:17 PM
Chris7521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #8323
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
I stuck with the 13 Front, but went 46 in the rear and love the difference...it's pretty subtle, but it makes a difference in the slow stuff, and it'll wheelie a bit easier.

Yo Pax.

Quote from my brain when it's 'on' WR, "ehehehheh, ooooh....errr, um huhuh, wee-oh"
1+ on th 13/46!

AK Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #8324
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
This months issue of MCN has the 3 way comparo between the WR, KLX and the CRF 230. Needless to say it took the overall winning 8 of the 10 categories.

Took 1st place in:

Engine & Performance
Transmission & Clutch
Chassis & Suspension
Brakes, Wheels & Tires
Ergonomics
Riding Impression
Attention to Detail
Value

Took 2nd place in:

Handling- Only because the CRF is 33.5 lbs lighter than the WR.
Instruments & Controls- The KLX won this category by virtue of one item--- a tachometer.

To quote Don Searle, the editor: "The Yamaha is superb and wins this contest hands down, in my opinion. The WR is highway capable, yet super light and flickable in the dirt. It has great, fully-adjustable suspenders, great fuel injection, a transmission that's as smooth as hot butter, and plenty of grunt for scaling the San Gabriel fire trails (if only it had a bigger gas tank!)---a remarkable achievement out of 250cc."
They can keep that tach on the klx. That dashboard was a big turn off when I looked at them. I prefer the little computer display even without tach.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #8325
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Looks like it's all the same except for 3lb less weight? Wonder what changed to reduce the weight?
The 2010 49-state models weigh 3 lbs more, not less.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote