Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #8356
twigsnapper
How did I get here?

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARider
Hello! New to the forum so I thought I would post some pics of where my WR romps
Oh, that must be miserable being stuck in a place like that!
2008 dr650se
twigsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #8357
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
WARider, What skid plate do you have?
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #8358
WARider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Its a Flatlands. It seems stout. I've taken some good hits and no damage.
WARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #8359
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger
Fast Toys Kawasaki in Kalispell has an '08 with about 80 miles on it. They have it listed at $4699 which I suspect is book value, but did say they were willing to deal.
I think that is the one my buddy called about. They could have sold it to him a couple months ago if they would have been willing to deal then. He ended up driving to CO to pick up one for $800 less (so more than made up for the driving expenses).

If you are looking for a good price in Montana, here is a stock one in Great Falls, MT for $3,950 asking price with 780 miles. It's been listed since the middle of October and winter is near, so maybe they have room to deal even more.
http://montana.craigslist.org/mcy/1422098394.html
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #8360
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73
Just outta curiosity..how many people leave their WRR's bone stock..at least for some initial length of time.
For the first 3,000 miles, all I added was a skidplate and dirtbagz. Then added Emerson side rack and 2 gallon rotopax and Emerson rear rack. Swapped to the 12T when I put on the taller D606 tires at 3,000 miles. Also added coax harness for heated riding gear. I'm around 5,500 miles now.

Over the winter, I'm doing handguards, bars, risers, upper clamp and heated grips all in one whack. Will add a radiator guard and disc guards, too. Also plan to put in a fuse block since I"m having the handlebar crossmember made with two 18mm holes to mount powerlets for my GPS and heated gear plug. As mentioned previously, I've not touched the airbox, exhaust, AIS or EXUP and don't really plan to at this point. More power would be fun on occasion, but I have a blast wringing this things neck. More fun than trail riding my CRF450R that I sold. Excruciating never having the room to open that up due to terrain and on tight trails, the 300lb WR feels lighter and more maneuverable than the 240lb CRF450. Only thing I can figure is the 250's less rotating mass and I have the suspension set up way different.

Other than gearing down, I don't want to do anything that impacts gas mileage. And I don't want to do anything that creates more noise or more emissions. Besides, all the guys I ride with can't outrun me on the trails, so I'm not really left wanting there. On the open road, a little more passing power would be nice, but you just learn to either be patient or plan a pass well in advance. Cruising at 75 - 80mph is plenty for me in most cases. Yeah, I have to get in "full tuck" mode and play catch up when some bigger bikes run up to 100 and back down, but that is rare and more than made up for when I out run them in the woods and also have to help them pick up their 400+lb bikes later. Like others, when the 12T/43T and chain wear out, I'll go with either 13/46 or 13/48. I'll probably stick with the D606 tires on the next replacement.

The stock tires served me well on the dry, rocky and hard pack trails here. They were also great on the street. Only time they were less than ideal was in sand or mud, which I don't see much of except when I was in Minnesota visiting my folks or when I'm up in the mountains in early spring or late fall. The D606 are great once you gear down to compensate for their taller profile. They are starting to show a fair amount of wear after 2,000 miles. I'll probably need another set in the spring. I'm still riding now and putting on my usual 1,000 miles/month, though that will be done by the end of November I imagine. I'll have gotten about the same number of miles from the D606 as I got out of stock (3,000 miles).

Chadx screwed with this post 11-09-2009 at 04:46 PM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #8361
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,861
I left mine stock, except for adding a skid plate, handguards, and disk guards, and a low profile rear rack for ~4500 miles. The bike was a lot of fun that way, but the stock tires, chain, and sprockets were starting to look pretty beat so I installed 13/47 gearing, a new 110L chain, and D606 tires. I also hardwired a GPS. I then rode it for the next 10,000 miles as-is and enjoyed the hell out of it. About a thousand miles ago, I removed the AIS and glued the flapper door and really didn't notice much difference exceot its a little smoother off-idle maybe. I could leave it alone now except for maintenance and be happy. I'm not of course, but I could.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #8362
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Chad: Thanks for the lengthy and informative reply. Its seems your way to mod things and my general plan, are on the same page..so to speak.

To all who have helped me in this thread and the one I started: I think my decision has been made...I am getting a WRR...and these are the reason why:

1. Being that I have the street covered pretty well with my Sv1K, and that I am looking to have something really capable off road, and that I can grow as a rider on, my focus is on more offroad and less on road. Although both the DRZ and the WRR are capable both on road and offroad...being what people have said about how much "easier" the WRR is off road, to ride, and the fact of it being lighter, AND how many people said how fun it is off road.....point WRR

2. FI Vs Carbs. I have not had a a carbed bike since my 1996 Katana..and I played with rejetting that. It was not too bad to do, but more wrenching than I really wanna do these days. FI....new technology. Not to mention, when I do decide its the right time to spend the money and get the power mods going.........tuning via laptop is much easier, and more fun for me personally. Point WRR

3. Aftermarket: I have seen everything that I would wanna buy, for the WRR, in the market....so, the larger aftermarket for the DRZ is not an issue for me. WRR

4. On road: There are enough people saying, even though the WRR is 150 less CC's, with the 6 speed trans, its fine to ride on paved/highway speeds. Really, I will be taking the slower roads anyway....if I wanted to do a lot of slabbing it..I'd take the SV1K. WRR

And overall, I have nothing against the DRZ....but from the interwebz research I have been doing...the WRR is the bike for me. And, if for some reason i get it and decide its the not the bike I thought it was, I could always sell it someone......there are enough WRR fans in this place.

So, for now..My WRR questions are on break..and I'll just be reading RR's while patiently waiting for the savings the build to the point its time to go shopping.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #8363
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Hi guys, just sold my 640 adventure and picked up a WRR. Sure does seem like a down grade, but the weight of the 640 was really starting to wear on me in the tighter stuff. (getting older) I think this bike will work out fine when I learn how to use the different powerband between the two bikes. Well, I'm only on page 160... so I have to get back to reading.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #8364
Yzlvr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow
Hi guys, just sold my 640 adventure and picked up a WRR. Sure does seem like a down grade, but the weight of the 640 was really starting to wear on me in the tighter stuff. (getting older) I think this bike will work out fine when I learn how to use the different powerband between the two bikes. Well, I'm only on page 160... so I have to get back to reading.
Just ride it like you stole it!
Yzlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #8365
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,206
First Service

How many folks who bought "new" bikes bothered with a 10 hour "first service" at the dealer? Seems like a waste of time/$$ to me......pretty sure the warranty is NOT voided if I blow it off but if anyone knows otherwise please educate me......
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #8366
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,522
Bought mine brand new. Did the motoman break in with an oil change at about 50 miles, then again at 200 miles. Check your cables (throttle, clutch) and make any necessary adjustments and have fun. It will not void your warranty.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #8367
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Bought mine brand new. Did the motoman break in with an oil change at about 50 miles, then again at 200 miles. Check your cables (throttle, clutch) and make any necessary adjustments and have fun. It will not void your warranty.
Yep, changed my oil at 20 and 100.....flogged it pretty hard this weekend.....chain needs to be adjusted......will definitely check cables and give it a good check out since I'm headed out for another ~300-400 miles this wekend.........I'll probably change the oil again too just because it's so easy and cheap (it's not as if I have to deal with 2 screens and 2 filters and lay the bike on it's side as I've always done in the "Orange World" )
Old 11-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #8368
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Chris,

Is the 10 hour service required in the owners manual or is that something dealer "recommended"? A lot of car dealers will add something similar to get you to bring it in for service that is not manufacturer recommended.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
How many folks who bought "new" bikes bothered with a 10 hour "first service" at the dealer? Seems like a waste of time/$$ to me......pretty sure the warranty is NOT voided if I blow it off but if anyone knows otherwise please educate me......
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #8369
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
Is the 10 hour service required in the owners manual or is that something dealer "recommended"?
Recommended in a "thanks for buying a bike" form letter.....most likely all the things I would normally do myself anyway.....

Excerpt:

"Maintaining your new vehicle is very important. We recommend that after 10 hours of use for an off road vehicle or 600 miles on a street bike, you schedule your "first service". Please call our service department with any questions and to schedule an appointment."

This "buying new" thing is all "new" to me......just thought I'd ask the question.....
Old 11-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #8370
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
I pulled out my cell phone and grabbed a quick pic of the legend himself after riding to the event, competing in the event, and now riding his way back home. I can absolutely guarantee you that he is the only person who did that. No doubt
Well done HF!!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote