Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #9031
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
I live in MI and our Secretary of State has a process where a non-street-legal motorcycles can be made legal. One part of that is to have a tail light, brake light & lisence plate light. They (state police or local, or sherriff) check to make sure it says "SAE" or "DOT" on it. Turn signals are NOT required...we're lucky. The state police like to be picky...because they don't like doing it....and give you a hard time on "lisence plate visibility"...they like to say NO if the plate is tucked way up like that, or oriented a long ways from horizontal and straight up and down. They can inforce "must be visible and readable" from xxx distance( the value of which I can't recall at the moment).
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #9032
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,696
state regs

Here's a good link to check your state, I would start here but double check with your DMV.. Missouri does not require turn signals..

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=MO

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #9033
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Yeah, nice idea. Let's all get illegal or just unsafe at minimum just to look more cool. I'm with ya all.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #9034
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Can someone rehash why the chain is chewing up the swingarm on some bikes? I checked mine and don't see it happening yet.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #9035
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38
Yeah, nice idea. Let's all get illegal or just unsafe at minimum just to look more cool. I'm with ya all.
Come on guys.. lets not generalize.. its not illegal in any of the states I ride in. Just because California is bigger than most states doesn't mean it includes every other 49 states.

Have you see the XChallenge rear taillight/blinker aftermarket kit some of these guys ride with. the turn signals are tiny 2" LEDs below the tail light.. and if BMeer's think its cool.. this 12oclock is off the hook!

12oclock.. nice job man.. keep up the innovations, it gives everyone options for their bikes. The blinkers are brighter/larger than the little DRC's ( IMO after being behind a few of them an a ride) people are installing on the WRs,. Most street bikes in MO don't even have a tail or turn signal light

Old 12-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #9036
lukachuki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38

Dude it's a BIG upgrade over the "dual sported" dirbikes i've driven for years and years in AZ, UT and SC. On my xr650r's i just had the oem tailight on a resistor so that when i hit the brake it went to normal brightness.

There is a market for these....and there are many states that don't even require blinkers. CA riders no.....those engineer types who work for the government and sit through endless safety meetings no...those few of us who don't like blinkers on dirtbikes and live in states that don't care a big yes.

Great Job 12 O clock thanks for giving us some nice options....Keep up the hard work innovatin stuff. When I get a bike I will put my money where my fingers are.
lukachuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #9037
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
Its a modified DRC tail light, meaning it has the license plate bracket in the same location as the regular DRC, he just has his on the inner fender.

Federal law requiring turn signals to be yellow can't be right, unless all the cars out there with flashing brake lights for rear signals are now illegal too. Also MD does not require turn signals on motorcycles fwiw.

Its a plug n' play unit with the brake modular, with the added plus (imo) of not having to replace rear turn signals as well. I've been debating what to do with the rear of the bike, and while I may not have asked for it (mainly because I didn't know the integrated blinker tailights existed) I'm happy about it. Especially with the modulator, I can't see how someone would think its less safe than the DRC or stock taillights. Those suckers G R A B your attention, I've ridden behind a guy with one and its crazy how visible it makes you.

skierd screwed with this post 12-08-2009 at 03:15 PM
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #9038
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
Just because California is bigger than most states doesn't mean it includes every other 49 states.
I would love to have Nevada take over, flush the capitol down the Sacramento River, and then I could own a 49 stater

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #9039
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
Its a modified DRC tail light, meaning it has the license plate bracket in the same location as the regular DRC, he just has his on the inner fender.

Federal law requiring turn signals to be yellow can't be right, unless all the cars out there with flashing brake lights for rear signals are now illegal too. Also MD does not require turn signals on motorcycles fwiw.

Its a plug n' play unit with the brake modular, with the added plus (imo) of not having to replace rear turn signals as well. I've been debating what to do with the rear of the bike, and while I may not have asked for it (mainly because I didn't know the integrated blinker tailights existed) I'm happy about it. Especially with the modulator, I can't see how someone would think its less safe than the DRC or stock taillights. Those suckers G R A B your attention, I've ridden behind a guy with one and its crazy how visible it makes you.
Agreed. My SUV sure doesn't have yellow turn signal lights. I purposely tap the brake 3 times before applying it where street conditions need it. It will be soo nice to know it flashes everytime i hit it.. !! I first noticed that on a street bike i was following in the truck one day, and boy it caught my attention!

Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #9040
vwsandman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Eh? Tail tidy

I think what 12'oclock is offering is a good product for those interested in it. I personally decided to use the OEM tail with a Custom LED R1 integrated tailight unit. To me it looks better than stock, and the 12'oclock unit is even more tidy. The one draw back no one seems to bring up with all of these changes is just how good the stock parts work. In back to back comparaisions during a recent dual sport ride of my modified WR and a stock bike it was easy to see that the stock bike was safer. Why?

1) You could read his plate (mine is nothing more than a mud flap)
2) You could see his tailight because there was NO mud on it ( ALSO, the stock tailight is much brighter then any other tailight on the market.)
3) His turnsignals remained visible and wide enough apart for people to KNOW that they were turn signals and not some sort of tailight brake light malfunction.

And there was less mud on him and the bike with the stock unit. Is it ugly? yes, does it work? Yeah, it does. There are times when I ride off road and on road on the same day that I have to be aware of the fact that my vainity could cause me troubles on the road by some one behind me. I have to stop and wipe off the tailight all the time.

Something to keep in mind folks.

Having had it both ways, I think a slightly trimmed OEM tail is the way to go, stock turnsignals and all. It's not like those are expensive turnsignals anyway, practially free from any R1 or R6 or other sportbike forum where they are pretty much thrown away on a daily basis...I got a complete set for free just for asking.

Just my .02...
vwsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #9041
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,512
Hey Boog, checked out my swing arm bearings.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogn1sh
Thanks for pointing this out 10Cup. It is a wear item. However, had I not seen your pictures a few months back, I probably wouldn't have thought to look at that side of the swing arm. I did notice my chain links were getting shiny on one side, so I had a good idea something was wrong.

But back to the original question.... I run 13/46. I have bought a 12 but never installed it. I am very diligent about chain tension, just ask Pete. He looses 10-20 minutes seat time per day when he rides with me 'cause I'm always loosening my chain (and comparing it to his.) That didn't sound good...anyway... I have 2 guides I go by when adjusting chain tension on my WRR. In the garage, I set it loser than I think it should be, then loosen it a bit more. On the trail, if my chain hasn't jumped off the sprockets, then it must be too tight, so I stop and check it. If anything, I'm suffering damage from being too loose, or lack of maintenance, ie: not replacing a wear item.
After your post on the swing arm bearings, decided to take mine apart and check, found them OK but a little dry so a good cleaning and repacking on all the needle bearings was done and now all back together, did not have much wear, could see where the swing arm bolt had some burnished marks but no ridges so greased it up and put it back together. Doesn't take long as you mentioned so probably a good thing to do while it's so dang cold anyway. Thanks for the heads up.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #9042
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,461
Definition - Camel:

Horse designed by a committee.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #9043
OlDirt58
Pucker bush dodger

Oddometer: 170
Swing Stand

Does anyone remember these, I tried to buy one but they are not available anymore So, here we go, I looked at the original design and figured I could make one up. This my attempt. Here is what I picked up,
2 feet each: 1/4 in dowel, 3/8 in dowel and 1/2 in thin wall mild steel.
Use the 1/4 in dowel to form the brace on the swing arm.
Cut and weld a small piece of 3/8 dowel to the brace.
Cut 2 pieces of 1/2 in tubing
Cut another small piece of 3/8 dowel (3 in) and insert in one piece of tubing and tack weld leaving 2 in exposed to slip into the other tubing. Having 2 in exposed will let you carry a 1 in piece of tubing in the event you need one more inch in the field.
Add some 1/4 fuel line where needed.
When I was trying to figure out a "foot" for the end of the stand, I found some thing left over from my satellite install, so I am going to try this for now.
I used a 115 volt mig welder for the job, perfect, to bad I can't weld pretty.
The mild steel can be bent fairly easy in a vise, which makes the swing arm piece easier.

Enjoy, it's all trial and error.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...00000553457836

OlDirt58 screwed with this post 12-08-2009 at 09:50 PM
OlDirt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #9044
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

^ nice job! Someone needs to start this project back up and sell them...

Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #9045
OlDirt58
Pucker bush dodger

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
^ nice job! Someone needs to start this project back up and sell them...
Thanks
Agreed, I only spent $8 for material, but I need to go back to Ho De-pot for a short velcro strap to secure the front brake lever. AND for all this, I still hope I don't get a flat !!!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...00000553457836

OlDirt58 screwed with this post 12-08-2009 at 09:51 PM
OlDirt58 is offline   Reply With Quote