Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #10321
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
Crawdaddy and I are famous! I guess that's my 3 seconds of fame. More than I expected out of life, so I'm ahead of the game. Ha.

Nice vid, Bash. Once I cut off my lower clamp bolts to only be a few threads longer than where the nut ended up, installation was a piece of cake without removing anything. Just a standard (non-deep dish) socket with a 10" extension and straightened out the fork and no clearance issues. It does help to use an allen socket, on top, rather than an allen wrench. I've stalled on the install, but maybe I'll run out and grab a pic of the top clamp and risers. I still have to put on the grips and then install the handguards.

Nice vid. Even Team Aquanet got a reference. Looking forward to the 3CS vid.
haha.. ! You got the HDB guards too? I wanna see that setup bro...

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #10322
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
haha.. ! You got the HDB guards too? I wanna see that setup bro...
You bet I did. That is what drove this entire project. As I looked for hand guards, I liked the beefyness of the HDB and the fact that they attached to a top clamp rather than just back to the bars. So it was between the HDB guards and the fastway setup. Being as we were able to work out a way to mount the powerlets into the HDB topclamp, the decision was made. But then, if I was doing the guards and top clamp, wouldn't it be nice to have some rise? Yeah sure. And if I was going to replace the lower clamps, too, then I might as well replace the bars at the same time for something stronger. 7/8"? Hmm, maybe change to a fatbar while i'm at it. What's that, Paul? You can order me Evos and you'll tap the bar ends while you are at it? Give me one of everything! (Well, make that two for the hand guards and, what the heck, two fold-out mirrors, too).

Chadx screwed with this post 01-28-2010 at 07:57 PM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #10323
vwsandman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Case Saver and 14T sprocket pics

It is a tight fit, but there is room with our case saver and a 14T sprocket. Big, Big thanks to one of my customers for taking these pictures!!

Hope these pictures help for those that were wondering.
vwsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #10324
rpo83
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 584
Hi Ivan,

From the pics i sent you (above), you can see the chain "just" touched the saver. I think that if i had loosened the case saver and forced it forward onto the mounting bolts, it would have totally cleared the chain. (There is clearance between the OD of the bolts and ID of the case saver tube)

What looks like damage to the case saver in the pics is actually the white grease from the new chain.

I have covered approximately 1,200 klm's since the photo's were taken, i'll take a few pics on the weekend to update how everything has travelled.

Gearing on the bike is 14/49 and a 520VM chain is fitted.

PS, thanks for a great product

My 2011 Ride around Aus http://rpo83.blogspot.com.au/
rpo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #10325
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac
I'm just going by what I've read over on TT posted by people with WRX's
trying to do wheel swaps for more offroadability. The YZ/WRF
switch was the first thing people were trying.
Yeah, I know it's been said that they don't fit, but I've never read why.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:19 AM   #10326
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwsandman
It is a tight fit, but there is room with our case saver and a 14T sprocket. Big, Big thanks to one of my customers for taking these pictures!!
Thanks Ivan and Steve. That was the last bit of info I needed to not "fear" gearing way down.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #10327
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
Thanks Ivan and Steve. That was the last bit of info I needed to not "fear" gearing way down.
Wouldn't that be UP?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/

Promote responsible trail riding and trail stewardship.
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #10328
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
Wouldn't that be UP?
Up in front & down in back
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:32 AM   #10329
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Running 3CS to Controls

Here's a video on how I ran the 3CS wires up to the controls. After a few different attempts, I finally nailed down a quick & easy way to run the wires...

Next up.. making the connections and see if it works

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #10330
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,161
Question Why 14?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM
Up in front & down in back
I threw a 12T up front when I bought the bike......I've probably put around ~2K miles on it thus far..........figure I'll put the stock 13 back up front once I blow out the stock chain/rear sprocket......I'm thinking I'll probably go with ~48T(?) in the back since I'll also be running a beefy/tall Pirelli MT43 trials tire in the rear......

I don't really follow the rationale of going bigger than 13T up front? ...are you guys thinking that'll calm the revs/bike down when you're in "cruise mode" on the highway?......is that the rationale behind it?......won't you be sacrificing a bit of low end "snap"? .....That low end snap is more important "to me" than top end speed or "cruiseability"......the bike hums along comfortably at ~60mph (GPS) with the current 12/43 set-up......I don't really care if it tops out at ~70mph......
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #10331
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,042
I found even the stock gearing to be too tall for the highway. I was constantly shifting down to 5th just to hold 65-70mph because it runs out of "oomph" with a little head wind or an uphill. I would think that gearing taller would just exacerbate the problem.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #10332
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 738
rpo83 said that he had geared to 49/14 which is a ratio of 3.5. If I remember correctly stock is 43/13 (3.307).

I think that the point is that you can throw a 13t on the front with the 49 or 50 rear sprocket and have trail gearing without having to go to the 12t and its associated increase in the chain guard wear.
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #10333
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1
rpo83 said that he had geared to 49/14 which is a ratio of 3.5. If I remember correctly stock is 43/13 (3.307).

I think that the point is that you can throw a 13t on the front with the 49 or 50 rear sprocket and have trail gearing without having to go to the 12t and its associated increase in the chain guard wear.
You nailed it. I have a 47T rear sprocket - with the 13T front I have great all-around gearing - singletrack to highway. A 14T front is still geared a bit lower than stock (3.36) & would work fine for a looooong extended highway trip (as in several days w/ lots of interstate). Now the 12T front is just, well, silly fun!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #10334
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,165
A shard of metal hastened the arrival of spring...after a fashion:

MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #10335
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,773
I'd rather wear out the chain guard slightly faster than have the chain whipping a couple hairs width away from the case/case saver. No more 14T for me.

Crawdaddy - "Cruise mode" is exactly why I used a 14T on my way home from Colorado this summer. The road(s) out were mostly dirt, the road(s) home were mostly paved. 13/47 worked great at 40-60mph on dirt and farm roads all day going out, 14/47 made 60+ on pavement all day all the way home much more tolerable. Sacrificing some "snap" for comfort. How I'll be doing it with the new bike is yet to be determined, but I'm leaning towards stock or +1-2 teeth for the rear sprocket day to day, depending on the rear tire, and keeping a 12T around for trails.

And the tire issue certainly does complicate things. I actually got to lay hands on a IRC TR-011 trials tire in 4.00x18 and a rear D606 120/90-18 at one of the local dealers this afternoon. Boy was I surprised when I saw that the trials tire looked to be a good inch taller than the D606! both off the rim of course. If I do end up running the MT43, I'm leaning towards running 13/46 or /47 again to make up for the super extra height. If not, I'm thinking hard about the Michelin T63 in 120/80/18. I really don't think, after running around on a completely stock bike again, that the extra weight or height of the D606 does the bike many favors, even if it does have wicked good traction.

And speaking of completely stock, round one of farkles is set to begin once it gets above freezing again.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote